Author Topic: Most Annoying Travel Habits  (Read 49880 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Most Annoying Travel Habits
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2009, 10:16:59 pm »
Phooey........I still wouldnt risk it......would you??....(behind (excuse the pun) every urban legend or rumour, there is always a bit of truth)

I wouldn't want to risk it either. I wouldn't want to tempt fate. Something weird could go wrong.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:32 pm »
Phooey........I still wouldnt risk it......would you??....

hell no!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37:30 pm »
Phooey........I still wouldnt risk it......would you??....(behind (excuse the pun) every urban legend or rumour, there is always a bit of truth)

It does have a ring (groan!) of truth to it. Every now and then, there are stories in the media, here in Australia (you'll be able to attest to this, Sue) about small children being disemboweled when they sit on the filter in their backyard swimming pool. Haven't heard about any such incidents for some years now. The manufacturers have probably put mesh covers of them. At one time there, not a summer would go by without the story emerging of a toddler being killed in this dreadfully gruesome manner.  :(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2009, 10:51:27 pm »
It does have a ring (groan!) of truth to it. Every now and then, there are stories in the media, here in Australia (you'll be able to attest to this, Sue) about small children being disemboweled when they sit on the filter in their backyard swimming pool. Haven't heard about any such incidents for some years now. The manufacturers have probably put mesh covers of them. At one time there, not a summer would go by without the story emerging of a toddler being killed in this dreadfully gruesome manner.  :(

Yes Kerry, I was gonna mention that myself here.

I would assume that all swimming pools are now fitted with filters that do not allow this to happen.

It was the round hole on the swimming pool edge, where the skimmer basket is, and where people can connect the vaccuum for the pool. They are fitted with lids now, but the lid is still easy to take off, but maybe not by a little one. There is still a hell of a lot of suction there. I think little ones used to think it was a potty, somewhere to do a pee.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2009, 10:58:49 pm »
That is horrible! Do you think it ever really happened? Or is it an urband legend?

I fell for one of those urban legends just the other day.

But something like that COULD happen if the suction was far too strong. Let's hope it never happened.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2009, 12:18:12 am »
I try not to use the toilets on planes - simply because I'm usually too terrified and drugged to get up from my seat.  I made it from Texas to Canada and Toronto to London without a potty break.  But non-stop Texas to Paris, France, I couldn't hold my water and finally had to give in to the demands of my bladder.  I made it back though non-stop without a pee-break.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2009, 01:17:03 am »
That is horrible! Do you think it ever really happened? Or is it an urband legend?

I fell for one of those urban legends just the other day.

But something like that COULD happen if the suction was far too strong. Let's hope it never happened.

Alas, the stories about toddlers being disemboweled in backyard swimming pools are very definitely and sadly true, David. They are not urban myths. There were quite a few such deaths here in Australia some years ago. Reported widely in the legitimate media. Haven't heard of such an incident for some years now, I presume because the filter manufacturers have rectified the problem.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:02 am »
Alas, the stories about toddlers being disemboweled in backyard swimming pools are very definitely and sadly true, David. They are not urban myths. There were quite a few such deaths here in Australia some years ago. Reported widely in the legitimate media. Haven't heard of such an incident for some years now, I presume because the filter manufacturers have rectified the problem.

They haven't. A little girl died here in Minnesota last year after being disemboweled in a public pool.

Unbelievable, considering the problem has happened a number of times. You would think that manufacturers would realize there's a problem and fix it. But they haven't.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:54 am »

I'm so glad they fixed the problem Kerry. That's really terrible. :(

I've never heard about that happening up here, but I suppose it has. That is a terrible thing to happen, especially for a child. :'(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:45 am »
They haven't. A little girl died here in Minnesota last year after being disemboweled in a public pool.

Unbelievable, considering the problem has happened a number of times. You would think that manufacturers would realize there's a problem and fix it. But they haven't.

My God Katherine! I haven't heard about it happening in Indiana, but lots of people have in ground swimming pools here. I wish they would fix the problem like they did in Australia. Something like that shouldn't be allowed to happen. They should recall those filter vents and fix them. >:(