Author Topic: Most Annoying Travel Habits  (Read 49885 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Most Annoying Travel Habits
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 02:03:16 am »
I don't even like it when people in front of me recline their seats the whole way back. I know they're fully entitled to do so, but I don't like it, and I avoid doing it myself. The way planes pack the passengers in these days, a reclined seat can be really intrusive.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 07:53:03 pm »
I don't even like it when people in front of me recline their seats the whole way back. I know they're fully entitled to do so, but I don't like it, and I avoid doing it myself. The way planes pack the passengers in these days, a reclined seat can be really intrusive.

It is, and they have a right to recline, but I also have the right to use the space alloted to me and if that means my doing what I need to do ends up bumping the back of their reclined chair when I do it, well...[shrug]

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 09:02:17 am »
Such a great thread......Im sure a lot of these things mentioned on here were quite traumatic when they were happening, but after the event they certainly are funny to read about.

I dont travel a lot, but on a flight last year from my home town to Sydney, an hour and twenty minute flight, I had a dad and his two little kids in the row behind me. 

I went through the little feet kicking my back seat for a while, but then an hour into the trip, one of the little ones started crying, he was about 2yrs old.  It was a sobbing cry, and he obviously was not very happy. Although it was annoying, I still felt sympathy for both the dad and the child.

Anyway, we landed, got our overhead luggage, and stood out in the aisle waiting to depart the plane....and the dad was in front of me, and he had picked up the little sad child and held him so his head rested on his shoulder. Then it happened.......a missile of vomit sprayed from the kids mouth all down the back of his father's shirt and me being close behind, copped little sprays of it myself.

The poor dad, and that poor little child, was obviously feeling sick for half of that flight. The father was embarrassed and so appologetic to me.

I just said.......take care of the little one, I will be home soon, what little had sprayed on me, would be in the wash before long anyway.

I always sympathise with people who have little ones on a plane, it cannot be easy for them or the child.

I know they can be annoying, to other passengers,but the poor litle child, is in a strange and unnatural envioronment, surrounded by crowds of strangers, not to mention, having their ears blocked up, and maybe feeling some motion sickness, with no where to go and unable to stop until we land. It must be terrifying to them if they dont do it often.

Teenagers, on the other hand, as Chucky experienced, well they should have shown a bit more respect to their fellow passengers and realized its just not all about them, and have their bit of fun, but settled down and shown a bit of dignity and thougt for the others on the plane.

I guess when there are so many people of all ages crammed into that big sardine can, we call an aeorplane, that we really do see how tolerant we can be to others as well as how curteous we can be also.

We did all of our interstate travelling, when our kids were little, by car.....I would like a dollar for everytime we threatened, "if you dont behave, we will put you out and make you walk"......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 10:48:20 am »
Years ago, when I lived on Sydney's Northern Beaches and worked in the city, I used to get the 190 bus to and from work every day. The 190 bus route runs from Sydney to Palm Beach (where the TV soap "Home & Away" is filmed) - a two-hour bus trip back then. I joined the journey at Narrabeen, about half-way along the route, meaning it was still a one-hour journey for me, each way, every day. The buses were very crowded in peak-hour. I sometimes had to stand all the way. If I managed to get a seat, it was usually on the aisle and I often ended-up with someone's butt-cleavage clamped to my bony shoulder for support.  :o Sometimes it was quite pleasant to have a cute guy perching on my shoulder  ;)  but mostly it was not nice at all.  :-\   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 12:34:07 pm »
For me, it's definitely the cell phone thing. 

When I travel from Boston to New York, I like to take the train.  They have this wonderful invention called the "quiet car", where cell phones and loud conversations are prohibited.  Except when some entitled person decides to ignore the rules.  I recall one young woman who was seated in the quiet car, decided she would gab inanely since the rules clearly didn't apply to her.  A few other passengers firmly reminded her that she was in the quiet car, and she just smirked and kept on gabbing. 

I had more than Lureen's Thanksgiving Day smile when the conductor moved her scrawny ass out of there, pronto.   

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:53 pm »

I had more than Lureen's Thanksgiving Day smile when the conductor moved her scrawny ass out of there, pronto.   

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She thought she had the moxie.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:20 pm »
Somehow, this seemed more gross than even the farting, throw-up and excrement posts to me, and when I read your post, I suddenly started sneezing!!

This is a little off topic.....well maybe not since I was travelling in New York City. I went to my first pride parade and well that is another story for another time. Anyway, I got a fully loaded New York hot dog from one of the vendors. Yes one of those "dirty dogs" as New Yorkers call them. It was delicious until this girl with long braids in her hair decided to flip her head. This led to her braids being in the middle of my hot dog  >:( Oh well, I just threw the rest away. I got to eat half anyway. The funny thing is that she may have wondered later where the chili, mustard, onions, etc. came from that was dangling in her hair. So maybe the joke was on her after all. The morale of the story is to not flip your hair around in crowded places cause you never know where it might land.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »
Years ago, when I lived on Sydney's Northern Beaches and worked in the city, I used to get the 190 bus to and from work every day. The 190 bus route runs from Sydney to Palm Beach (where the TV soap "Home & Away" is filmed) - a two-hour bus trip back then. I joined the journey at Narrabeen, about half-way along the route, meaning it was still a one-hour journey for me, each way, every day. The buses were very crowded in peak-hour. I sometimes had to stand all the way. If I managed to get a seat, it was usually on the aisle and I often ended-up with someone's butt-cleavage clamped to my bony shoulder for support.  :o Sometimes it was quite pleasant to have a cute guy perching on my shoulder  ;)  but mostly it was not nice at all.  :-\   

Oh Kerry, being in a "cattle truck" situation just reminded me of a time I was in the same kind of situation but on a train home from work.

I was in the area at the end of the carriage, where there are just two long seats along the side, and there used to be a bar in the middle and its where everyone crowded in at peak hour to keep away from the door area.

I was 16 at the time, hot day, crowded in body to body (no airconditioning in trains then), and I started feeling faint.

I woke up a few minutes later, lying on the flloor...how I ever managed to get thru the bodies to end up on the floor, I will never know.....but the worst thing of all was I was lying in a puddle of PEE.....because when I had passed out, I had pee'd myself. Obviously a few of the bodies had moved away from me by then, dont know whether it was to give me some air, or they just did not want pee all over their shoes.

Luckily, I was too disorientated when I came to, to be embarrassed, so being in a bit of a daze was a godsend, but when I look back, it absolutely horrifies me to think about what I did.

And of course now, I can laugh about it.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 06:35:03 pm »
Such a great thread......Im sure a lot of these things mentioned on here were quite traumatic when they were happening, but after the event they certainly are funny to read about.

I dont travel a lot, but on a flight last year from my home town to Sydney, an hour and twenty minute flight, I had a dad and his two little kids in the row behind me. 

I went through the little feet kicking my back seat for a while, but then an hour into the trip, one of the little ones started crying, he was about 2yrs old.  It was a sobbing cry, and he obviously was not very happy. Although it was annoying, I still felt sympathy for both the dad and the child.

Anyway, we landed, got our overhead luggage, and stood out in the aisle waiting to depart the plane....and the dad was in front of me, and he had picked up the little sad child and held him so his head rested on his shoulder. Then it happened.......a missile of vomit sprayed from the kids mouth all down the back of his father's shirt and me being close behind, copped little sprays of it myself.

The poor dad, and that poor little child, was obviously feeling sick for half of that flight. The father was embarrassed and so appologetic to me.

I just said.......take care of the little one, I will be home soon, what little had sprayed on me, would be in the wash before long anyway.

I always sympathise with people who have little ones on a plane, it cannot be easy for them or the child.

I know they can be annoying, to other passengers,but the poor litle child, is in a strange and unnatural envioronment, surrounded by crowds of strangers, not to mention, having their ears blocked up, and maybe feeling some motion sickness, with no where to go and unable to stop until we land. It must be terrifying to them if they dont do it often.

Teenagers, on the other hand, as Chucky experienced, well they should have shown a bit more respect to their fellow passengers and realized its just not all about them, and have their bit of fun, but settled down and shown a bit of dignity and thougt for the others on the plane.

I guess when there are so many people of all ages crammed into that big sardine can, we call an aeorplane, that we really do see how tolerant we can be to others as well as how curteous we can be also.

We did all of our interstate travelling, when our kids were little, by car.....I would like a dollar for everytime we threatened, "if you dont behave, we will put you out and make you walk"......

You are a very, very nice person.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 07:24:35 pm »
That's terrible, Sue! Needless to say, no-one came to your aid?  :-\