Author Topic: Gay Rights In The United States?  (Read 9999 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Gay Rights In The United States?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 11:55:27 pm »
I voted 10-20 years.  I'm in Northern California, and I see a day in the very near future when gay people will have all the rights we straight people take for granted.  Well, at least I can dream.  But I must admit, being gay in my home town is not really an issue.  California is working toward equality for its gay citizens, and I'm sure I'll live to see it.  David, I hope I'm making sense.  I've had a long day! :)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 12:04:43 am »
I voted 10-20 years.  I'm in Northern California, and I see a day in the very near future when gay people will have all the rights we straight people take for granted.  Well, at least I can dream.  But I must admit, being gay in my home town is not really an issue.  California is working toward equality for its gay citizens, and I'm sure I'll live to see it.  David, I hope I'm making sense.  I've had a long day! :)

I'm not David, but you're making perfect sense, Littlewing!  I also voted 10-20. Hopefully it will be less but I'm concerned it may be longer if we keep going in the current direction.

~Larz

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 12:29:07 am »
I'm not David, but you're making perfect sense, Littlewing!  I also voted 10-20. Hopefully it will be less but I'm concerned it may be longer if we keep going in the current direction.

~Larz

Thanks, sweetheart!  I agree with everything you just said!

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 12:38:51 am »
But of course we're in agreement, Littlewing!   :-*

It's a vampire thing!   :laugh:

~Larz

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:37:18 am »
You bet! :)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 12:52:22 pm »
I choose 20-50 yrs.  I think what you choose depends on where you live.  People in CA or NY are usually more optimistic than those from WY.  But for the whole country to be fair, it'll take plenty of time.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:26 pm »
.....interesting discussion......To some degree, state-by-state, some "Gay/Lesbian Rights" exist now. Because the US has a Federal system of government, some states and localities show more enlightenment on this issue than others. Some localities have granted legal protection / status to "domestic partnerships", including granting benefits and recognition to Gay/Lesbian public employees. Many corporations and businesses have granted recognition and benefits to their private sector employees.
A few years back when the US Supreme Court struck down the Texas Sodomy law, homosexual acts between consenting adults were in effect decriminalized throughout the US. But, that doesn't mean that Gays/Lesbians have been granted equal rights in their relationships. Obviously not. In the last few years several municipalities, counties, and at least one state have taken the first steps towards granting recognition of same-sex unions. These have been wonderful events, but these attempts to grant equal civil status to Gay/Lesbian unions HAVE YET TO SURVIVE the inevitable court and legislative challenges from those who do not wish to see full "Gay Rights" in the US.
My own belief is that in the next few years ( 5-10 ), a consensus will be reached in a majority of states and localities across the US that the same sex union issue is an issue that should be decided by local option. What that could mean is, the voters and their elected representatives in all of the states and counties around the US could be given the right to democratically decide by electoral referenda whether or not to grant equal status to same sex unions. I think that it is clear looking at the Red/Blue mix on the US electoral map that there are localities and even states where the electors would affirm same sex unions this very day. But there are many more areas that will not. I live in Ft.Worth,TX. There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that the voters in Tarrant County Texas would vote down granting same sex unions. But, I look south to Austin,TX and have a suspicion that Travis County might vote for same sex unions. There is not a doubt in my mind that San Francisco or Manhattan would vote for same sex unions. There is historical precidence for the US Congress allowing each of the states decision making power on imporatant social issues. The prime example is the repeal of the Prohibition laws in 1933. The US Congress in repealing Prohibition allowed each of the states the authority to hold referenda on whether or not to be "wet" or "dry". Here in Texas, the State Legislature allowed each of the 254 counties in Texas to hold individual elections on this matter. The voters of the time decided this issue. Today in Texas you have a crazy quilt of "wet" and "dry" counties. I grew up in a "dry" county, but you could buy liquor 20 miles up the road in a "wet" county. 
Of course, a decision from the Supreme Court federalizing the issue and granting same sex unions legal status nation-wide is preferable to the above option....but I don't see that happening.
As a Gay man I believe that Gays and Lesbians will not be fully accepted until we have been granted full equality with same sex unions. However, accepting individuals are towards us, we are strangers in our own land until the day that the American voters democratically grant us equality under the law. I am now a man in his 50's, I grew up in the 1960's and saw emormous changes in attitudes towards the civil rights of African Americans right in my home town, I went off to college in the hopeful 1970's and during those moments that I was thinking clearly and not partying in discos and other places, I thought that full equality was just around the corner. Well, now I am an older man in my early 50's and 6 months from retirement.....and I'm still hopeful. I think I will live to see full equality granted. But I have learned patience. I have learned that we must CHANGE HEARTS one at a time. And, for those of us like Jack and Ennis who have been wounded by homophobia and the closet, we must HEAL HEARTS one at a time.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 03:22:52 pm »
Just seeing this for the first time - I voted 5-10. Like racial equality - it's guaranteed in time that laws and (the majority of) public opinion turns around. I look forward to that date..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 09:49:29 pm »

I'm an inveterate optimist!  :D

However, having said that, I'm also a realist. And for that reason, I voted "I won't live to see it happen." It saddened me to do so.  :'(

I saw a documentary about fundamentalist Christianity (as practised in the USA), on TV recently and it didn't leave me with much cause for hope.  :-\

Jesus said, "Judge not lest ye be judged, for as ye judge so shall ye be judged." 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 02:39:24 am »
I'm an inveterate optimist!  :D

However, having said that, I'm also a realist. And for that reason, I voted "I won't live to see it happen." It saddened me to do so.  :'(

I saw a documentary about fundamentalist Christianity (as practised in the USA), on TV recently and it didn't leave me with much cause for hope.  :-\

Jesus said, "Judge not lest ye be judged, for as ye judge so shall ye be judged." 

I think you're correct, Kerry! And I don't think I'll ever see it either. Nor will my niece and nephew, nor will their children. Nor will the generation after that.... or after that.

Contrary to popular belief, I was listening to a segment WTHR was doing earlier this summer. According to WTHR Channel 13 (NBC) in Indianapolis, homophobia is on the RISE in Indiana, and the American Midwest. Can you believe that? White youths and gangs are more frequently targeting gay people. We are NOT becoming less homophobic here; we are becoming MORE homophobic. I also heard homophobia is on an increase in western Europe too. And although the Muslims there are very intolerant of gay people (just as they are here in the US), it is the white youth over there who are becoming increasingly intolerant. I am waiting to hear from a European friend about this, but I suspect it is probably true. In many ways, the world takes one step forward and two steps back. Over here in the US, people seem okay with gay people (sort of) until the government starts advocating more rights for gay Americans. Then suddenly, there is an uproar. It's almost as if many Americans are kind of "okay" with gay people as long as they don't have any rights. But once there is the slightest chance of gay Americans having any rights at all, THEN everyone suddenly becomes hostile.

Has anyone else noticed this? If not, watch! Watch closely. You'll soon see what I'm talking about.  :'(  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.