Author Topic: Gay Rights In The United States?  (Read 10001 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Gay Rights In The United States?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 08:48:44 am »
I think you're correct, Kerry! And I don't think I'll ever see it either. Nor will my niece and nephew, nor will their children. Nor will the generation after that.... or after that.

Contrary to popular belief, I was listening to a segment WTHR was doing earlier this summer. According to WTHR Channel 13 (NBC) in Indianapolis, homophobia is on the RISE in Indiana, and the American Midwest. Can you believe that? White youths and gangs are more frequently targeting gay people. We are NOT becoming less homophobic here; we are becoming MORE homophobic. I also heard homophobia is on an increase in western Europe too. And although the Muslims there are very intolerant of gay people (just as they are here in the US), it is the white youth over there who are becoming increasingly intolerant. I am waiting to hear from a European friend about this, but I suspect it is probably true. In many ways, the world takes one step forward and two steps back. Over here in the US, people seem okay with gay people (sort of) until the government starts advocating more rights for gay Americans. Then suddenly, there is an uproar. It's almost as if many Americans are kind of "okay" with gay people as long as they don't have any rights. But once there is the slightest chance of gay Americans having any rights at all, THEN everyone suddenly becomes hostile.

Has anyone else noticed this? If not, watch! Watch closely. You'll soon see what I'm talking about.  :'(  >:(

Yes, David, I've noticed it.

When I was in my teens and it was probably becoming more and more obvious to everyone (except me!) which direction my sexuality was headed, I remember a relative taking me aside one day and advising me, "Do whatever you like, just don't flaunt it!" I didn't know what he meant at the time, but I do now. He meant that he didn't give a f*ck about whether I was a poof or not, just so long as I kept it quiet and lived a lie. It seemed to be very important to him that I didn't embarrass the family. The validity of my life and my personal worth as an individual meant nothing to him.

It's the same with what you were saying, David. Everyone's okay with the gay thing, so long as we're quiet, subservient little fags who are keeping their mouths shut and not making any demands. When we do speak up for ourselves, they come down on us like a ton of bricks.

It's been said before and I'll say it again, "We don't want special treatment, we just want equal treatment."

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 10:05:04 pm »
Yes, David, I've noticed it.

When I was in my teens and it was probably becoming more and more obvious to everyone (except me!) which direction my sexuality was headed, I remember a relative taking me aside one day and advising me, "Do whatever you like, just don't flaunt it!" I didn't know what he meant at the time, but I do now. He meant that he didn't give a f*ck about whether I was a poof or not, just so long as I kept it quiet and lived a lie. It seemed to be very important to him that I didn't embarrass the family. The validity of my life and my personal worth as an individual meant nothing to him.
It's the same with what you were saying, David. Everyone's okay with the gay thing, so long as we're quiet, subservient little fags who are keeping their mouths shut and not making any demands. When we do speak up for ourselves, they come down on us like a ton of bricks.

It's been said before and I'll say it again, "We don't want special treatment, we just want equal treatment."

Oh, you had the old "embarrassment to the family" routine pulled on you too, Kerry? So did I. It took me another 18 years before I had the courage to tell them again. By then, I didn't give a shit anymore. I was tired of hiding it and carrying it around like a monkey on my back. When I told them the second time, I fully expected to be thrown out of the family (that is one of the things I was threatened with the first time I told them) but they were more understanding. I suppose they had 18 years to think about it, and times had changed a little bit too.

That whole "embarrassment to the family" comment is a real kick in the ass, isn't it Kerry?  >:(

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 09:42:04 am »
Oh, you had the old "embarrassment to the family" routine pulled on you too, Kerry? So did I. It took me another 18 years before I had the courage to tell them again. By then, I didn't give a shit anymore. I was tired of hiding it and carrying it around like a monkey on my back. When I told them the second time, I fully expected to be thrown out of the family (that is one of the things I was threatened with the first time I told them) but they were more understanding. I suppose they had 18 years to think about it, and times had changed a little bit too.

That whole "embarrassment to the family" comment is a real kick in the ass, isn't it Kerry?  >:(

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*

I was lucky in that the only two people in my family whose opinion I cared about were my parents, and they loved me unconditionally, as I loved them. I was so blessed with the parents I had and I still miss them every day. Alas, the same can't be said of certain other members of my clan. I don't give a f*ck about them now, but it was difficult when I was a youngster. And a (over) sensitive, gay youngster at that.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 08:55:51 pm »
Wow, such difficulties!

WE, all gays and others in the whole world, need to help gays in the USA!!

WE, gays in the USA, need to help too, gays and others!!

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 11:41:51 am »
Will any like Clinton, Obama, Mc Cain help for gay rights ??

What do you think?

May I ask ...

au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 11:46:04 pm »
Will any like Clinton, Obama, Mc Cain help for gay rights ??

What do you think?

May I ask ...

au revoir,
hugs!

is that your Jonquil painting? you like flowers a lot. are they symbolic to you?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 11:53:05 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Yes, that are some of my flowers as subjects paintings I created !!

And jonquills/daffodils/narcissus are joys for me, mainly because I am a gay man, and it's a gay symbol pour moi, yes for me!!

Thought I had read that iit is for gays ?? Did you?

Maybe it should be our gay flower in the USA, Canada, etc., in our democratic countries as the rainbow flag is to us all?

And use it as to ask for gay rights in the USA ?

Au revoir,
hugs!