Author Topic: Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?  (Read 10731 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year’s Day?

1940s-era revelers recover from New Year’s Eve
celebrations in New York’s Grand Central Station

Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year’s Day? Tell the truth!

I read the following article in Time magazine and thought “hangovers” might be a good topic for a poll, particularly at this time of year.

Give your response to the poll above and tell us if you have any tried and tested hangover cures.

Here’s the Time magazine article, written by Claire Suddath:

"Whatever your reasons – celebration, loneliness, attempting to figure out what “Auld Lang Syne” actually means – if you drank too much on Dec 31, you probably rang in the New Year with a pounding headache and regular trips to the bathroom. If so, don’t worry; you wouldn’t be the first person to endure a hangover, and although it may feel like it, you won’t be the last.

When the ancient Assyrians felt the painful aftereffects of excess merriment, they consumed a mixture of ground birds’ beak and myrrh. In the Middle Ages bleary Europeans munched on raw eel and bitter almonds. Mongolians ate pickled sheep’s eyes, while the Chinese went with a more palatable dose of green tea. The German ate Katerfruhstuck, a post-binge breakfast of herring, pickles and goulash. Russians don’t eat anything at all; they jump into the sauna and sweat it out. In 1845, Italian Bernardino Branca developed a cure-all he called Fernet – an 80-proof concoction containing myrrh, rhubarb, aloe, peppermint oil and opiates – to treat ailments like hangover and cholera. Fernet is still available (now opiate-free), although it’s usually served as an after-dinner drink. Here are a few more exotic cures:
*  4th Century B.C. – Greek poet Amphis recommends boiled cabbage for overindulgers.
*  1853 – London’s D.R.Harris & Co markets the Pick Me Up herbal tonic, which is still available.
*  1916 – For his first day on the job, P.G.Wodehouse’s famous fictional valet, Jeeves, whips up a curative of Worcestershire sauce, raw egg and pepper, and is hired on the spot.
*  1972 – Kingsley Amis publishes the book “On Drink,” featuring a hangover remedy called the Polish Bison (beef paste and vodka). Actually, many of the book’s suggested cures involve more drinking.

American remedies typically include tomato juice and occasionally a raw egg (for protein), although the past decade has seen the debut of pills that supposedly help the liver by absorbing toxins. But alcohol’s by-products are only part of the problem: dehydration and out-of-whack electrolytes can’t be fixed with a pill. A traditional Japanese remedy, umeboshi (pickled plums), is currently touted by Hollywood nutritionist Esther Blum. But whatever your tonic of choice, remember that it probably won’t work. Hangovers exist for a reason: your body is telling you that you drank too much."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:17 pm »
I did not wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day. I had a couple of glasses on Merlot with dinner on New Year's Eve and had no more to drink later in the night, not even at Midnight.

It's a superstition of mine that the more rowdy and celebratory my New Year's Eve, the more disappointing will be the New Year for me. It is my belief that the quieter I welcome in the New Year on New Year's Eve, the more pleasurable and rewarding the New Year will be for me.

Just a silly little superstition of mine.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:09:51 pm »
I didn't have a hangover, but I didn't abstain either. I got as drunk as hell that night. A few of my friends were not as fortunate.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to throw a New Year's party next year. Somebody ralphed in my downstairs bathroom and I had to clean it up. :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:08:59 am »
My experience on NY Eve was somewhere between Kerry's and David's. I had a martini, some wine, and some prosecco around midnight. But that was all stretched over about eight hours. I also ate a big meal -- steak, lobster, cheesy potatoes, flan -- and was with my son as well as other family and friends. So it was a festive but not wild night. At 2 a.m. I was really sleepy, so went to bed and got up about 8:30 or 9 feeling good.

My preferred hangover cures, which date back to college days:

1) A giant greasy meal.

2) Lots of coffee.

3) Marijuana.

4) Lots of sleep.

5) A shower.

6) A bloody Mary.

7) Exercise, if you can handle it -- yoga or something not too frenetic is best.

I read that the most effective hangover cures are those that distract your body and get it concentrating on something else. That's why a greasy meal (hard to digest) or spicy foods are said to be effective.

I'm not sure why consuming more alcohol (such as a bloody Mary) is effective, but I can testify that it works, also.

Side note: In my college days, I used to come home from the bars at 2 a.m. and make huge meals, such as potato pancakes or huevos rancheros. I can't say they necessarily prevented hangovers, but they were delicious! Nowadays, though, I wouldn't have the energy.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:16 am »
I didn't have a hangover, but I didn't abstain either. I got as drunk as hell that night. A few of my friends were not as fortunate.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to throw a New Year's party next year. Somebody ralphed  in my downstairs bathroom and I had to clean it up. :P

:laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:37 am »

My preferred hangover cures, which date back to college days:

Thanks for listing those suggestions, Katherine. A friend of mine swears that drinking several pints of water before going to bed after a night of boozing will prevent a hangover. Says he always wakes up feeling fresh as a daisy if he drinks a vat of water before retiring, even if he's been completely off his face the previous night. Certainly, the water would prevent dehydration.

I could never stomach the water torture cure myself. My standard treatment was to take a handful of paracetamol and sleep for 12 hours. I wouldn't necessarily wake feeling fresh as a daisy, but it did stop the barfing and the headaches.

Can't remember when I was last off my face drunk. I thoroughly enjoy a glass of red but I just don't drink to excess anymore. It was fun when I did, but it's not for me these days. Boring, no?  ;)   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:05:40 am »
I ate a bunch of fried chicken before I started drinking the other night. And Kerry, I always drink a lot of water before I go to bed if I've been drinking alcohol that night. Hangovers are partly due to dehydration. I also take a couple of Tylenols before going to bed. But you should only do that if you haven't been drinking for a couple of hours. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and liquor are bad for you if you take them both at the same time. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:53:25 am »
Hangovers are partly due to dehydration.

For that reason, I think it's good to eat something salty before bed.

I also take a couple of Tylenols before going to bed. But you should only do that if you haven't been drinking for a couple of hours. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and liquor are bad for you if you take them both at the same time. :)

I would be afraid to take Tylenols when the alcohol is even still in my body. But aspirin and ibuprofen are OK.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:06:04 am »
For that reason, I think it's good to eat something salty before bed.

I often do that after a night out at my favorite watering hole. I usually eat a handful of pretzel nuggets. I also make sure to drink a lot of water before I go to bed. I take a couple of aspirins, too.

At all times, not just New Year's Eve, I try to pace my drinking--one drink per hour--and I stick with one form of alcohol. I switched from gin to scotch years ago because I discovered that scotch does not give me the headache/hangover that gin does. These days I confine gin (with tonic and lime) to hot summer late afternoons. I never drink gin after 6:00 p.m.

I may just have gotten lucky this New Year's Eve in not getting a hangover. I started the evening drinking champagne at a party in a neighbor's home, and ended it drinking scotch and soda at my favorite bar, so I violated my own rule against mixing forms of alcohol. Add to that, I didn't have something salty, aspirins, and a lot of water before going to sleep because, er, I didn't end the evening in my own bed. ...  ::)

Also, the champagne was good, and not too dry. Never under any circumstances should you drink cheap pseudochampagne. If you can't go for the real stuff--imported from France--drink something else.

I would be afraid to take Tylenols when the alcohol is even still in my body. But aspirin and ibuprofen are OK.

For years--like, twenty years--I took two acetaminophens (Tylenol) before going to bed after drinking, and I'm still here and my liver and kidneys are fine. I think the caveat about liquor and Tylenol really applies to people who chronically overindulge in alcohol. If you take two Tylenols after an occasional night of partying, you really don't have anything to worry about. They just can't put on the label that alcoholics shouldn't use Tylenol.  8)

So, why did I switch to aspirin? After years of using extra-strengh acetaminophen as my general painkiller of choice, not just after a night of drinking, I came to feel that it wasn't helping me any more. Also, I was persuaded by those commercials about aspirin and heart attacks that it might be a good idea to keep some aspirin in the medicine cabinet. I usually use ibuprofen for muscle aches and pains.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:26 am »
Also, the champagne was good, and not too dry. Never under any circumstances should you drink cheap pseudochampagne. If you can't go for the real stuff--imported from France--drink something else.

I agree you shouldn't drink cheap pseudochampagne. But I think good prosecco -- sparkling wine imported from Italy -- makes a fine, inexpensive substitute.

If you take two Tylenols after an occasional night of partying, you really don't have anything to worry about. They just can't put on the label that alcoholics shouldn't use Tylenol.  8)

I had hepatitis when I was 20, so I'm always afraid my liver is already compromised and thus am particularly cautious.

Also, I was persuaded by those commercials about aspirin and heart attacks that it might be a good idea to keep some aspirin in the medicine cabinet.

Yes, I think it's a good idea not only to keep aspirin handy, but to take a very small dose of it daily.