Author Topic: Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year’s Day?

1940s-era revelers recover from New Year’s Eve
celebrations in New York’s Grand Central Station

Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year’s Day? Tell the truth!

I read the following article in Time magazine and thought “hangovers” might be a good topic for a poll, particularly at this time of year.

Give your response to the poll above and tell us if you have any tried and tested hangover cures.

Here’s the Time magazine article, written by Claire Suddath:

"Whatever your reasons – celebration, loneliness, attempting to figure out what “Auld Lang Syne” actually means – if you drank too much on Dec 31, you probably rang in the New Year with a pounding headache and regular trips to the bathroom. If so, don’t worry; you wouldn’t be the first person to endure a hangover, and although it may feel like it, you won’t be the last.

When the ancient Assyrians felt the painful aftereffects of excess merriment, they consumed a mixture of ground birds’ beak and myrrh. In the Middle Ages bleary Europeans munched on raw eel and bitter almonds. Mongolians ate pickled sheep’s eyes, while the Chinese went with a more palatable dose of green tea. The German ate Katerfruhstuck, a post-binge breakfast of herring, pickles and goulash. Russians don’t eat anything at all; they jump into the sauna and sweat it out. In 1845, Italian Bernardino Branca developed a cure-all he called Fernet – an 80-proof concoction containing myrrh, rhubarb, aloe, peppermint oil and opiates – to treat ailments like hangover and cholera. Fernet is still available (now opiate-free), although it’s usually served as an after-dinner drink. Here are a few more exotic cures:
*  4th Century B.C. – Greek poet Amphis recommends boiled cabbage for overindulgers.
*  1853 – London’s D.R.Harris & Co markets the Pick Me Up herbal tonic, which is still available.
*  1916 – For his first day on the job, P.G.Wodehouse’s famous fictional valet, Jeeves, whips up a curative of Worcestershire sauce, raw egg and pepper, and is hired on the spot.
*  1972 – Kingsley Amis publishes the book “On Drink,” featuring a hangover remedy called the Polish Bison (beef paste and vodka). Actually, many of the book’s suggested cures involve more drinking.

American remedies typically include tomato juice and occasionally a raw egg (for protein), although the past decade has seen the debut of pills that supposedly help the liver by absorbing toxins. But alcohol’s by-products are only part of the problem: dehydration and out-of-whack electrolytes can’t be fixed with a pill. A traditional Japanese remedy, umeboshi (pickled plums), is currently touted by Hollywood nutritionist Esther Blum. But whatever your tonic of choice, remember that it probably won’t work. Hangovers exist for a reason: your body is telling you that you drank too much."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:17 pm »
I did not wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day. I had a couple of glasses on Merlot with dinner on New Year's Eve and had no more to drink later in the night, not even at Midnight.

It's a superstition of mine that the more rowdy and celebratory my New Year's Eve, the more disappointing will be the New Year for me. It is my belief that the quieter I welcome in the New Year on New Year's Eve, the more pleasurable and rewarding the New Year will be for me.

Just a silly little superstition of mine.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:09:51 pm »
I didn't have a hangover, but I didn't abstain either. I got as drunk as hell that night. A few of my friends were not as fortunate.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to throw a New Year's party next year. Somebody ralphed in my downstairs bathroom and I had to clean it up. :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:08:59 am »
My experience on NY Eve was somewhere between Kerry's and David's. I had a martini, some wine, and some prosecco around midnight. But that was all stretched over about eight hours. I also ate a big meal -- steak, lobster, cheesy potatoes, flan -- and was with my son as well as other family and friends. So it was a festive but not wild night. At 2 a.m. I was really sleepy, so went to bed and got up about 8:30 or 9 feeling good.

My preferred hangover cures, which date back to college days:

1) A giant greasy meal.

2) Lots of coffee.

3) Marijuana.

4) Lots of sleep.

5) A shower.

6) A bloody Mary.

7) Exercise, if you can handle it -- yoga or something not too frenetic is best.

I read that the most effective hangover cures are those that distract your body and get it concentrating on something else. That's why a greasy meal (hard to digest) or spicy foods are said to be effective.

I'm not sure why consuming more alcohol (such as a bloody Mary) is effective, but I can testify that it works, also.

Side note: In my college days, I used to come home from the bars at 2 a.m. and make huge meals, such as potato pancakes or huevos rancheros. I can't say they necessarily prevented hangovers, but they were delicious! Nowadays, though, I wouldn't have the energy.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:16 am »
I didn't have a hangover, but I didn't abstain either. I got as drunk as hell that night. A few of my friends were not as fortunate.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to throw a New Year's party next year. Somebody ralphed  in my downstairs bathroom and I had to clean it up. :P

:laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:37 am »

Thanks for listing those suggestions, Katherine. A friend of mine swears that drinking several pints of water before going to bed after a night of boozing will prevent a hangover. Says he always wakes up feeling fresh as a daisy if he drinks a vat of water before retiring, even if he's been completely off his face the previous night. Certainly, the water would prevent dehydration.

I could never stomach the water torture cure myself. My standard treatment was to take a handful of paracetamol and sleep for 12 hours. I wouldn't necessarily wake feeling fresh as a daisy, but it did stop the barfing and the headaches.

Can't remember when I was last off my face drunk. I thoroughly enjoy a glass of red but I just don't drink to excess anymore. It was fun when I did, but it's not for me these days. Boring, no?  ;)   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:05:40 am »
I ate a bunch of fried chicken before I started drinking the other night. And Kerry, I always drink a lot of water before I go to bed if I've been drinking alcohol that night. Hangovers are partly due to dehydration. I also take a couple of Tylenols before going to bed. But you should only do that if you haven't been drinking for a couple of hours. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and liquor are bad for you if you take them both at the same time. :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:53:25 am »
Hangovers are partly due to dehydration.

For that reason, I think it's good to eat something salty before bed.

I also take a couple of Tylenols before going to bed. But you should only do that if you haven't been drinking for a couple of hours. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and liquor are bad for you if you take them both at the same time. :)

I would be afraid to take Tylenols when the alcohol is even still in my body. But aspirin and ibuprofen are OK.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:06:04 am »
For that reason, I think it's good to eat something salty before bed.

I often do that after a night out at my favorite watering hole. I usually eat a handful of pretzel nuggets. I also make sure to drink a lot of water before I go to bed. I take a couple of aspirins, too.

At all times, not just New Year's Eve, I try to pace my drinking--one drink per hour--and I stick with one form of alcohol. I switched from gin to scotch years ago because I discovered that scotch does not give me the headache/hangover that gin does. These days I confine gin (with tonic and lime) to hot summer late afternoons. I never drink gin after 6:00 p.m.

I may just have gotten lucky this New Year's Eve in not getting a hangover. I started the evening drinking champagne at a party in a neighbor's home, and ended it drinking scotch and soda at my favorite bar, so I violated my own rule against mixing forms of alcohol. Add to that, I didn't have something salty, aspirins, and a lot of water before going to sleep because, er, I didn't end the evening in my own bed. ...  ::)

Also, the champagne was good, and not too dry. Never under any circumstances should you drink cheap pseudochampagne. If you can't go for the real stuff--imported from France--drink something else.

I would be afraid to take Tylenols when the alcohol is even still in my body. But aspirin and ibuprofen are OK.

For years--like, twenty years--I took two acetaminophens (Tylenol) before going to bed after drinking, and I'm still here and my liver and kidneys are fine. I think the caveat about liquor and Tylenol really applies to people who chronically overindulge in alcohol. If you take two Tylenols after an occasional night of partying, you really don't have anything to worry about. They just can't put on the label that alcoholics shouldn't use Tylenol.  8)

So, why did I switch to aspirin? After years of using extra-strengh acetaminophen as my general painkiller of choice, not just after a night of drinking, I came to feel that it wasn't helping me any more. Also, I was persuaded by those commercials about aspirin and heart attacks that it might be a good idea to keep some aspirin in the medicine cabinet. I usually use ibuprofen for muscle aches and pains.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:26 am »
Also, the champagne was good, and not too dry. Never under any circumstances should you drink cheap pseudochampagne. If you can't go for the real stuff--imported from France--drink something else.

I agree you shouldn't drink cheap pseudochampagne. But I think good prosecco -- sparkling wine imported from Italy -- makes a fine, inexpensive substitute.

If you take two Tylenols after an occasional night of partying, you really don't have anything to worry about. They just can't put on the label that alcoholics shouldn't use Tylenol.  8)

I had hepatitis when I was 20, so I'm always afraid my liver is already compromised and thus am particularly cautious.

Also, I was persuaded by those commercials about aspirin and heart attacks that it might be a good idea to keep some aspirin in the medicine cabinet.

Yes, I think it's a good idea not only to keep aspirin handy, but to take a very small dose of it daily.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
I had hepatitis when I was 20, so I'm always afraid my liver is already compromised and thus am particularly cautious.

Yuck!  :P  So you've got an extenuating circumstance. If I were in your position, I'd probably be more cautious and concerned, too.

Yes, I think it's a good idea not only to keep aspirin handy, but to take a very small dose of it daily.

The usual recommendation is 81 mg--in other words, a "baby aspirin"--a day, I believe because aspirin is a blood thinner. I take one 81-mg tablet every day, but I keep the "regular strength" (325 mg?) around, too. That's what I take to help prevent a hangover.

I've never had prosecco. It sounds nice. As long as it doesn't try to pretend to be champagne. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 12:59:59 pm »
Well, Fiona and I rang in the new year together, and I can attest that she only had 2 or 3 beers, and I had absolutely nothing alcoholic that night as I'd been under the weather for the last two days.  So, no hangovers for either of us.

My usual cure includes a big jug of orange Gatorade next to the bed and two Extra Strength Excedrin available next to it, for whenever the headache hits in the middle of the night.  If I don't have to go to work the next day, I would put a few splashes of vodka into the Gatorade jug, just to help ease off gently.

I CAN say that I managed to teach Fiona the joys of drinking in the morning during my 3-week visit.  I always feel on vacation, that it's perfectly apropos, and she joined in with me most mornings.  Makes the day go by quite smoothly, I think, and certainly makes the conversations more animated, to say the least.  I'm wondering how she was feeling Thursday morning back at work, missing me, and missing the vodka pick-me-up I would spike in with her OJ.   :P

David, where was our invite to your party?  :( 

Jeff, good on you not sleeping in your own bed.   :o  Sounds like you started 2009 with a bang.  Care to elaborate?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 01:10:23 pm »
Jeff, good on you not sleeping in your own bed.   :o  Sounds like you started 2009 with a bang.  Care to elaborate?

Ah ... NO!  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
I've never had prosecco. It sounds nice. As long as it doesn't try to pretend to be champagne. ...  ;D

I discovered it when traveling in Italy, where my friends and I would pop a bottle just about every evening. Here, it usually sells for less than $15 a bottle, so it's quite a bargain compared to champagne. Some kinds are better than others, but they're all better than cheap "champagne," IMO.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »
I didn't have a hangover and I also didn't abstain.  I rarely get hangovers thankfully.

But I'd agree here...

1) A giant greasy meal.

2) Lots of coffee.

Greasy food and coffee really do seem to be excellent hangover cures.

And, FWIW, I really like both champagne and prosecco.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:14:26 pm »
Greasy food and coffee really do seem to be excellent hangover cures.

Coffee I get, because caffeine is a stimulant, a diuretic, and a vasodilator, but I don't get the greasy food part. When I get a hangover/headache, even the thought of food, let alone greasy food, makes me want to hurl.

Maybe if you eat it before the hangover comes on?

I know some people "go out for breakfast" after our bars close, though "breakfast" is often something like french fries with cheese or gravy. Does that help fend off a hangover?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »
I did not wake with a hangover.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 02:59:29 pm »
When I get hangovers, they rarely involve much nausea. They're more about bad headaches and an overall feeling of yucky toxicity.

So for some reason, the thought of, say, a big breakfast, or a bacon cheeseburger and fries, always sounds really good. Like it would coat my stomach and ease that yucky feeling, even though it's not really stomach-related. A salad or something healthy doesn't sound good.

This doesn't make much sense, I suppose. But an article I read a year or so ago about hangover cures said the theory is that greasy food makes your body turn its attention to digesting the meal (fat is the hardest substance to digest) and away from focusing on your misery. Apparently that's why spicy food works, too.

Mild exercise, perhaps because it makes you sweat out the poisons, also works well for me. One time, while visiting a friend, we had a late night and then I woke up the next morning, feeling awful, to learn she had scheduled a yoga class. Nothing could be more unappealing than the thought of doing down dog. But I went to the class and afterward did feel much much better.

I just did a quick google search about hangover cures. I didn't learn a lot, except that they say Gatorade and the like are really good for you, because when you drink too much you not only get dehydrated you also lose electrolytes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 03:25:21 pm »
Looks like we all escaped the hang(over)man this New Year's!! Good on us!!

Friend Rayn taught me an excellent way to dodge a hangover. He said to just stop drinking two hours before you want to hit the hay. It also avoids alcohol-related insomnia!

BTW, where HAS Rayn been lately? Ennibody heard from him??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »
I'm a tea-total  O0 :P 8)

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 04:29:04 pm »
Hangover? I never had a hangover in my life.
I did get pretty drunk some times, but those were rare occasions. Alcohol just isn't my drug of choice. I don't like the taste of it most times.

But even when I was really, really drunk I never had a hangover the next day. I don't know how it feels like. Lucky me.

This New Years Eve, we drank half a bottle of white wine and less than half a bottle of sparkling wine altogether. Divided by three adults, none of us had a hangover the next morning.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 05:55:35 pm »
Hangover? I never had a hangover in my life.
I did get pretty drunk some times, but those were rare occasions. Alcohol just isn't my drug of choice. I don't like the taste of it most times.

But even when I was really, really drunk I never had a hangover the next day. I don't know how it feels like. Lucky me.

This New Years Eve, we drank half a bottle of white wine and less than half a bottle of sparkling wine altogether. Divided by three adults, none of us had a hangover the next morning.

You don't know what it feels like Chrissi? It feels like you swallowed several cups of wet cement and then got kicked upside the head by a mule. :P ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 06:08:20 pm »
You don't know what it feels like Chrissi? It feels like you swallowed several cups of wet cement and then got kicked upside the head by a mule. :P ;)

Perfect description, David!  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:49 pm »
I think the drunkest I've ever been on a New Year's Eve, and also the most fun I've ever had on a NYE, was way back in my late teenage years in company with a group of Italian priests of my acquaintance at that time.  ;D

Boy, could those guys drink! They explained to me that wine was part of their culture and that they grew up with it, taking a sip with meals now and then as children, from their parents. Alas, I had built up no such immunity at that tender age, so became quite merry with them. It probably didn't help that I had a MASSIVE crush on the ultra-gorgeous Father Bernardi!   ::)

I remember so well the wine they were drinking. I particularly asked Father John for the name. He told me it was called Lacryma Christi.

Remembering this previously long forgotten NYE prompted me to find this in Wikipedia:

Lacryma Christi, (also Lachryma Christi, literally "tear of Christ"), is the name of a celebrated Neapolitan type of wine produced on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius in Campania, Italy.

The name Lacryma Christi comes from an old legend that Christ, crying over Lucifer's fall from heaven, cried his tears on the land and gave divine inspiration to the vines that grew there. The sides of Vesuvius are deeply scarred by past lava flows, and its lower slopes are extremely fertile, dotted with villages and covered with vineyards.

The wine is entirely earthly, but quite enjoyable. The red is garnet in color with a pleasant scent of red fruit and white pepper and a juicy, tart flavor with apple-skin flavors and lemony acidity in balance. The white wine is crisp and dry.

My happy memories of that long ago night tell me that the wine was absolutely divine  (Groan!), but my euphoria may have had more to do with my close proximity to the (I'm saying it again! There's no other word for him!) divine  Father Bernardi.   ;)  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 01:35:48 am »
Drinking with and gazing at a handsome, swarthy Italian priest sounds like a perfect euphoria to me too Kerry! :D

And I'd gladly suffer the hangover for it the next day.

This makes me think of Father Pete. Did I ever tell you about Father Pete Kerry? No, I never went drinking with him, but he was totally beautiful.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 09:21:56 am »
Dooo tell, David. I'd looove to hear about Father Pete! Bet he wasn't as gorgeous as Father Bernardi!  ;)   ;)   ;)   ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν