Author Topic: Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?  (Read 10693 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Did you wake up with a hangover on New Year's Day?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
I had hepatitis when I was 20, so I'm always afraid my liver is already compromised and thus am particularly cautious.

Yuck!  :P  So you've got an extenuating circumstance. If I were in your position, I'd probably be more cautious and concerned, too.

Yes, I think it's a good idea not only to keep aspirin handy, but to take a very small dose of it daily.

The usual recommendation is 81 mg--in other words, a "baby aspirin"--a day, I believe because aspirin is a blood thinner. I take one 81-mg tablet every day, but I keep the "regular strength" (325 mg?) around, too. That's what I take to help prevent a hangover.

I've never had prosecco. It sounds nice. As long as it doesn't try to pretend to be champagne. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 12:59:59 pm »
Well, Fiona and I rang in the new year together, and I can attest that she only had 2 or 3 beers, and I had absolutely nothing alcoholic that night as I'd been under the weather for the last two days.  So, no hangovers for either of us.

My usual cure includes a big jug of orange Gatorade next to the bed and two Extra Strength Excedrin available next to it, for whenever the headache hits in the middle of the night.  If I don't have to go to work the next day, I would put a few splashes of vodka into the Gatorade jug, just to help ease off gently.

I CAN say that I managed to teach Fiona the joys of drinking in the morning during my 3-week visit.  I always feel on vacation, that it's perfectly apropos, and she joined in with me most mornings.  Makes the day go by quite smoothly, I think, and certainly makes the conversations more animated, to say the least.  I'm wondering how she was feeling Thursday morning back at work, missing me, and missing the vodka pick-me-up I would spike in with her OJ.   :P

David, where was our invite to your party?  :( 

Jeff, good on you not sleeping in your own bed.   :o  Sounds like you started 2009 with a bang.  Care to elaborate?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 01:10:23 pm »
Jeff, good on you not sleeping in your own bed.   :o  Sounds like you started 2009 with a bang.  Care to elaborate?

Ah ... NO!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
I've never had prosecco. It sounds nice. As long as it doesn't try to pretend to be champagne. ...  ;D

I discovered it when traveling in Italy, where my friends and I would pop a bottle just about every evening. Here, it usually sells for less than $15 a bottle, so it's quite a bargain compared to champagne. Some kinds are better than others, but they're all better than cheap "champagne," IMO.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »
I didn't have a hangover and I also didn't abstain.  I rarely get hangovers thankfully.

But I'd agree here...

My preferred hangover cures, which date back to college days:

1) A giant greasy meal.

2) Lots of coffee.

Greasy food and coffee really do seem to be excellent hangover cures.

And, FWIW, I really like both champagne and prosecco.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:14:26 pm »
Greasy food and coffee really do seem to be excellent hangover cures.

Coffee I get, because caffeine is a stimulant, a diuretic, and a vasodilator, but I don't get the greasy food part. When I get a hangover/headache, even the thought of food, let alone greasy food, makes me want to hurl.

Maybe if you eat it before the hangover comes on?

I know some people "go out for breakfast" after our bars close, though "breakfast" is often something like french fries with cheese or gravy. Does that help fend off a hangover?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »
I did not wake with a hangover.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 02:59:29 pm »
When I get hangovers, they rarely involve much nausea. They're more about bad headaches and an overall feeling of yucky toxicity.

So for some reason, the thought of, say, a big breakfast, or a bacon cheeseburger and fries, always sounds really good. Like it would coat my stomach and ease that yucky feeling, even though it's not really stomach-related. A salad or something healthy doesn't sound good.

This doesn't make much sense, I suppose. But an article I read a year or so ago about hangover cures said the theory is that greasy food makes your body turn its attention to digesting the meal (fat is the hardest substance to digest) and away from focusing on your misery. Apparently that's why spicy food works, too.

Mild exercise, perhaps because it makes you sweat out the poisons, also works well for me. One time, while visiting a friend, we had a late night and then I woke up the next morning, feeling awful, to learn she had scheduled a yoga class. Nothing could be more unappealing than the thought of doing down dog. But I went to the class and afterward did feel much much better.

I just did a quick google search about hangover cures. I didn't learn a lot, except that they say Gatorade and the like are really good for you, because when you drink too much you not only get dehydrated you also lose electrolytes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 03:25:21 pm »
Looks like we all escaped the hang(over)man this New Year's!! Good on us!!

Friend Rayn taught me an excellent way to dodge a hangover. He said to just stop drinking two hours before you want to hit the hay. It also avoids alcohol-related insomnia!

BTW, where HAS Rayn been lately? Ennibody heard from him??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »
I'm a tea-total  O0 :P 8)

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -