Author Topic: condiments  (Read 20557 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: condiments
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 10:52:45 am »
Why do some of you think Ennis was not a chauvinist? Most men were like that during the 1960's, so it's pretty much expected that both Ennis and Jack behave that way too.

Like many viewers, the Ennis/Jack scenes hold my interest more than the others; but one scene I thought was remarkable was the one where Ennis and Alma are still living outside Riverton, he comes home from work and is trying to tend to the two crying babies at once. Didn't notice this in the first few viewings for some reason, but Alma doesn't even ask Ennis to look in on the children; he just goes and does it and looks rather tired and harried but not really unhappy about that. And in the next scene, it's obvious that he's the one who puts the kids to bed at least part of the time.

I remember the early and mid-1960s very clearly, and believe me, that wasn't typical behavior for a young husband. Ennis is very much a man of his era in his view of his own sexuality but the way he's shown in those two scenes is quite remarkable for that time.

There's also his going into the kitchen and offering to  help Alma after Thanksgiving dinner - not typical either, even for the late 1970s.  Just five or so years ago, The Husband and I were dinner guests at Thanksgiving and the husband piled up the plates in front of the wife and me, invited my husband into the next room for TV and said "I'll leave you girls to clean up."  I'm afraid I wasn't, um, too gracious about it.   :P
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:03:20 am by Marge_Innavera »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 01:18:32 pm »
Like many viewers, the Ennis/Jack scenes hold my interest more than the others; but one scene I thought was remarkable was the one where Ennis and Alma are still living outside Riverton, he comes home from work and is trying to tend to the two crying babies at once. Didn't notice this in the first few viewings for some reason, but Alma doesn't even ask Ennis to look in on the children; he just goes and does it and looks rather tired and harried but not really unhappy about that. And in the next scene, it's obvious that he's the one who puts the kids to bed at least part of the time.

I remember the early and mid-1960s very clearly, and believe me, that wasn't typical behavior for a young husband. Ennis is very much a man of his era in his view of his own sexuality but the way he's shown in those two scenes is quite remarkable for that time.

Well stated! I remember the 70's more than the 60's (I was too young in the 60's). But even then, it was the women cleaned up after supper while the guys watched TV. And you are right, Marge ... it hasn't changed an awful lot (although I have to admit that my brothers and brother-in-law do a great job with helping out!)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2006, 11:57:56 am »
I just got another perspective on why Ennis says, "I'll be glad to leave you alone" to Alma when she asks him to use protection. Maybe he was having a hard difficult time getting it up with Alma, or maybe he was afraid he might in the future, and so he decided to do some preventive damage control. I have seen this kind of thing happen...when men have ED, they would never be able to just come out and admit it, so they usually try to say it's the partner's fault, not theirs.  >:( :(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 10:12:01 pm »
I just got another perspective on why Ennis says, "I'll be glad to leave you alone" to Alma when she asks him to use protection. Maybe he was having a hard difficult time getting it up with Alma, or maybe he was afraid he might in the future, and so he decided to do some preventive damage control. I have seen this kind of thing happen...when men have ED, they would never be able to just come out and admit it, so they usually try to say it's the partner's fault, not theirs.  >:( :(

You make sense, Lee.  I see Ennis as a man of few words, but the ones he does say matter:  'I'll be glad to leave you alone." means he is glad to be rid of this unwelcome responsibility, IMO.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Samrim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 04:44:43 am »
Hello Lynne and frontranger and all

There might be some truth in what you say; personally I just think rightly or wrongly, that Ennis had become bored with intimacy with Alma. He was enduring the time apart from Jack as best he could, and was probably glad of an excuse to leave Alma alone. Their marriage was bound to have been affected by the reunion kiss, and what it meant to Alma. Being second in someone's heart after believing otherwise must have been a bitter pill to swallow. Annie said "A slow corrosion worked between Ennis and Alma, no real trouble ,just widening water....... And under that thought, anyway, what you like to do don't make too many babies" . I guess Alma understood more about Ennis's sexuality than he did (or at least admitted). Apparently Ennis had no difficulty with his libido when he was with Jack, Annie again, "One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings was darkened by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough" :(  I don't think Annie intended to write a 'tear jerker', but she gets my motor running everytime. I rarely manage a time on these boards without tears it some point.

love our boys to bits

Best Wishes

Sam
Sam

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2006, 05:17:54 pm »
I agree with what you say, Sam, and I think in a way we're saying the same thing; Ennis was bored with Alma and was afraid that he wouldn't be able to "pretend" much longer.

:(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2006, 09:13:08 pm »
I think for the one sentence "I'll be glad to leave you alone" no analysis is required.  It means he would be glad to leave her alone.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:00 am »
The wha' ...?  ;D

Bumping for Throwback Thursday as a reminder of how back in them good old days we used to endessly debate small narrative details.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:09 pm »
Who is this "latjoreme" anyway?  ;)