Author Topic: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?  (Read 38754 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:11 pm »
Kerry, one time I walked into a cafeteria, and grabbed a small bottle of diet coke, and was waiting on line to order a sandwich.  I happened to glance to the left, and saw a roach crawling on the countertop.

I just paid for my soda, and left.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »

Did they ever air the Green Acres series in Australia, Kerry? They were always talking about rutabagas on that show. I think Oliver and Lisa were obsessed with them. :-\

I do remember Green Acres, David. I can even hear the theme tune in my head. Can't remember any of the dialogue, though, so don't remember them mentioning rutagagas. Gosh, that was a long time ago. That show was in black & white!  

How is rutabaga pronounced? Is it root-uh-bay-guh ("root" as in "shoot") or rut-uh-bay-guh ("rut" as in "cut")?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
Kerry, one time I walked into a cafeteria, and grabbed a small bottle of diet coke, and was waiting on line to order a sandwich.  I happened to glance to the left, and saw a roach crawling on the countertop.

I just paid for my soda, and left.

Very wise, Chuck. I'd've done the same.  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »
How is rutabaga pronounced? Is it root-uh-bay-guh ("root" as in "shoot") or rut-uh-bay-guh ("rut" as in "cut")?

It's the former, Kerry. 

Hey, I remember Green Acres being in color?  Kerry, was your set black and white?   ;)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbPAt1_vc4[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »
I do remember Green Acres, David. I can even hear the theme tune in my head. Can't remember any of the dialogue, though, so don't remember them mentioning rutagagas. Gosh, that was a long time ago. That show was in black & white!  

The first one Kerry. ROOT-uh-bay-guh. At least that's how we say it around here.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:50 pm »

Green Acres is the place to be...... farm livin' is the life for me!!

Isn't that how the song went? I can't remember for sure now. :P

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »
It's the former, Kerry. 

Hey, I remember Green Acres being in color?  Kerry, was your set black and white?   ;)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbPAt1_vc4[/youtube]

Oh, Paul, that was such fun to see. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? That brought back so many memories of an era in my life when I was very young. Was Green Acres released in the 1960s? If so, I was a teenager then, living at home, and yes my parents set was black and white at that time. Now I think about it, though, I do remember the re-runs in colour. Thanks again, Paul. I really enjoyed that!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 09:11:20 pm »
Yes, indeed, Kerry, the internet, and YouTube, in particular, are wonderful things.  Instant time machine.  Occasionally, I find myself passing hours looking at clips that remind me of a happier time. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 09:17:48 pm »
The first one Kerry. ROOT-uh-bay-guh. At least that's how we say it around here.

Although I started thinking about it, and it would be very "Hoosier" to pronouce it RUT-uh-bay-guh. We have a tendancy to shorten certain long vowel sounds around here. For example it's often "fut" instead of "foot".

But as far as rutabagas are concerned, I've only heard it pronounced ROOT-uh-bay-guh. Although I'm sure there are some around here say it the other way! :laugh:

Man! We've really sent this thread OFF topic haven't we? From dining, to doggie bags, to rutabagas and Green Acres, and now Midwestern dialects! :P

:laugh: 

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »
Although I started thinking about it, and it would be very "Hoosier" to pronouce it RUT-uh-bay-guh. We have a tendancy to shorten certain long vowel sounds around here. For example it's often "fut" instead of "foot".

But as far as rutabagas are concerned, I've only heard it pronounced ROOT-uh-bay-guh. Although I'm sure there are some around here say it the other way! :laugh:

Man! We've really sent this thread OFF topic haven't we? From dining, to doggie bags, to rutabagas and Green Acres, and now Midwestern dialects! :P

:laugh: 

Gash, I was having so much fun, I hadn't even noticed we'd gone off topic.  :laugh:

(What was the topic again?)  ;)   ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν