Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1031378 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker: Brokeback Mountain By Annie Proulx, October 13, 1997
« Reply #1330 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:20 pm »

A selection of stories from The New Yorker’s archive

Looks like you beat me by two hours, John. I just saw this in my email and came here to post about it. I'm glad you got here first -- I was just going to write a quick comment, but your presentation is much better.

Thank you!  :-*

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1331 on: January 26, 2016, 02:26:40 pm »
I'm surprised no New Yorker reader/Downton Abbey fan has mentioned the back cover of the Jan. 4 issue, "The Dowager's View of the World."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1332 on: January 28, 2016, 02:33:59 pm »
With all that I've had going on of late, I just realized that I haven't gotten a magazine since the issue cover dated Jan. 4.  :o  I need to call customer service.  >:(

Coincidentally, that's the end-subscription date on my mailing label.  >:(

A couple of months ago, I need to update my credit card information for automatic renewal. I couldn't get the web site to work for me, so I phoned customer service. I bet that's what has my subscription screwed up.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1333 on: January 28, 2016, 06:52:34 pm »
I didn't receive this week's issue yet (cover date Feb 1). I am feeling put out about it because R. received his two days ago and is ahead of me in reading!
When you see the smiley face in the sky, the pandemic will be over!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1334 on: February 01, 2016, 03:29:37 pm »
With all that I've had going on of late, I just realized that I haven't gotten a magazine since the issue cover dated Jan. 4.  :o  I need to call customer service.  >:(

Coincidentally, that's the end-subscription date on my mailing label.  >:(

A couple of months ago, I need to update my credit card information for automatic renewal. I couldn't get the web site to work for me, so I phoned customer service. I bet that's what has my subscription screwed up.  >:(

Well, I telephoned Customer Service at The New Yorker this afternoon, and, indeed, my subscription had been canceled--and Customer Service could not explain why or how. My subscription is to be restarted, though I won't see an issue until the one to be cover dated Feb. 22.   >:(

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1335 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »
Question for you New Yorker fans:

Who is/are the writers who cover music/culture for the magazine? I have a pretty big classical music event coming up, and I think they might be interested.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1336 on: February 10, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »
Question for you New Yorker fans:

Who is/are the writers who cover music/culture for the magazine? I have a pretty big classical music event coming up, and I think they might be interested.

Alex Ross seems to be the main writer on classical music right now, if I remember correctly.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1337 on: February 10, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
Alex Ross seems to be the main writer on classical music right now, if I remember correctly.

Thank you.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1338 on: February 10, 2016, 10:40:20 pm »
There's also the "Goings on about town" section, of which the Classical Music subsection comes first. I've noticed that there are quite a few more opera events mentioned lately. For things going on outside of NYC, there's the "Above & Beyond" section. It says to address all editorial and other correspondence to The New Yorker, 1 World Trade Center, New York, NY 10007 and more information is available on the web site at newyorker.com

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1339 on: February 13, 2016, 04:39:05 pm »
I have tried and tried to read the latest fiction by George Saunders called "Mother's Day" but I just can't finish it. Saunders covers the strange lives of suburbanites a la John Updike but there is just something so. . .mean spirited about it.