Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922718 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1391 on: April 18, 2016, 01:32:35 pm »
Over lunch today I became happily immersed in the story about the Via Alpina (April 11).  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1392 on: April 18, 2016, 01:46:24 pm »
Artisanal alert! Check out Dana Goodyear's "Mezcal Sunrise" in the Annals of Alcohol series in the April 4 issue!! I wonder if "artisanal" is code for "hand-picked worms".  :laugh:

Unfortunately, the article is a long one and I don't know if I'll get around to reading it and finding out, with my current crazy schedule.

The Shouts & Murmurs page was sort of interesting, on grains that are poised to steal the spotlight from quinoa. Also, "The End of Ice" is personally interesting to me since I have visited two of the world's greatest glaciers, the Khumbu in Nepal and the Mer de Glače in France. Finally, I avidly read, "Operatic Startups" by Alex Ross because of our friend Meryl. He mentioned the "semi-resurrected NYC Opera" so that was semi-good to hear about.

They seem to be tinkering with the layout again. I have to grudgingly admit that it looks better. I'm a New Yorker purist; I don't like to see change.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1393 on: April 19, 2016, 08:06:23 pm »
The article "Beautiful Monsters" in the April 18 issue is misnamed. It is a biography of Niki de Saint Phalle, who was a fascinating person. But the title doesn't mention her name, just "Letter from Italy" (she wasn't Italian) and "Art and obsession in Tuscany" (she worked in several countries). It was more compelling than any bio I've read in The New Yorker in a long time.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1394 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:28 pm »
Here's a New Yorker article about an event that I was a part of a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/honoring-verdi-on-seventy-second-street

And here's proof I was there!  ;D

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1395 on: April 19, 2016, 10:03:54 pm »
Happy 200th or whatever birthday, Verdi! So awesome to know someone who actually went to his birthday party, Meryl!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1396 on: April 20, 2016, 08:35:44 am »
Peek a boo, we see you!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1397 on: April 28, 2016, 01:29:46 pm »
Thanks to reading The New Yorker, I get to "meet" interesting people, usually artists, who make me feel how dull, and boring, and safe, and conventional my life has been. I never heard of Niki de Saint Phalle until I read Ariel Levy's April 18 article. I also learn things that I find interesting. Thanks again to the April 18 issue, I now know more about the Spanish Civil War and the Americans who fought in it than I ever did before. Until I read the article, I knew Franco was a Fascist, but I really didn't know who were the Nationalists and who were the Republicans, and now I do.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1398 on: May 05, 2016, 01:33:49 pm »
Who knew that Paris has a farm show!  :D  (Lauren Collins, April 4--which goes to show you how far behind I am!  :laugh:  )

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1399 on: May 06, 2016, 10:38:29 am »
Thanks for pointing out that article, Jeff! I guess I'm as far behind as you are. But it's the farming season after all!