Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1950132 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2840 on: September 04, 2021, 01:39:33 pm »
Last year, I went to Shakespeare and Company in Paris, just across the Seine from Notre Dame. It was a fun place but I was slightly disappointed because I was hunting for books in French for my grandchildren. All their books are in English! Why go to Paris and buy books in English? At a different bookstore, I got a book on medieval France for my older grandson, a book on ballet for my granddaughter, and a book called "Ou est Charlie?" (exactly like "Where's Waldo?") for my grandson Charile.

Your grandchildren read French? Impressive! They're homeschooled, right?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2841 on: September 04, 2021, 08:29:53 pm »
There is a Shakespeare & Co. in Philadelphia, too. It's less than a block from Barnes & Noble. I used to spend a Sunday afternoon just browsing in Barnes & Noble. I bought all my Longmire books at Barnes & Noble.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:29:45 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2842 on: September 04, 2021, 11:06:26 pm »
Your grandchildren read French? Impressive! They're homeschooled, right?

They're picture books with just a few words of French on each page.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2843 on: September 06, 2021, 06:33:47 pm »
There were quite a few good cartoons in this issue. Here's one that I sent to my grandson.

I just discovered something. You can download NY cartoons to your computer, but after a while they...decompose or something.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2844 on: September 12, 2021, 12:27:19 pm »
Making my way slowly through the food archive issue, starting with Anthony Bourdain's entertaining day in the life of a chef. I see a number of others I want to read as well.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2845 on: September 12, 2021, 06:15:38 pm »
I read that one half-way through and realized that I had already read it when it first came out.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2846 on: September 12, 2021, 07:48:22 pm »
Somehow I got through the M.F.K. Fisher article, but what's the big deal about mashed potatoes?

I don't think I want to bother with anything else in that issue.

It's weird. You'd think I'd remember Kelefa Sanneh's article on scotch. It wasn't from too long ago, yet I had no memory of it at all, even after reading it now. However, it was interesting because since its original publication, I had learned to know what Islay scotch is, and to appreciate its smoky taste. especially Laphroaig.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2847 on: September 13, 2021, 10:59:13 am »
I haven't developed a taste for it, and because of the wildfires this year, I'm not even interested in the thought of it. I have very plebian tastes when it comes to Scotch. The best one I've tasted was Dewars and that only on Rabbie Burns' birthday.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2848 on: September 13, 2021, 08:18:23 pm »
I read that one half-way through and realized that I had already read it when it first came out.

I believe I did, too, but I often read essays twice (there are several David Foster Wallace essays I've read at least three or four times). I never read Kitchen Confidential and probably won't get around to it, but Anthony Bourdaine was an interesting writer and person.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2849 on: September 13, 2021, 10:37:39 pm »
I haven't developed a taste for it, and because of the wildfires this year, I'm not even interested in the thought of it. I have very plebian tastes when it comes to Scotch. The best one I've tasted was Dewars and that only on Rabbie Burns' birthday.

I don't follow your connection between scotch and wildfires, but let be. Dewars is a perfectly acceptable/unexceptional blended scotch, very popular in bars--or at least it used to be.

But like the author said, blended scotches are gateway drugs. You start on them, but when you try single-malts, there's no going back.