Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964729 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3360 on: July 13, 2023, 09:31:49 pm »
I haven't read the long-short fictions yet, but I always read the little one-page things that are included in this issue (I'm sure partly because they are only one page).

I've started to read "The Kitchen God." I don't believe I will finish it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3361 on: July 17, 2023, 01:01:36 pm »
I've started to read "The Kitchen God." I don't believe I will finish it.

I didn't finish it.

Over lunch today I started "Colorin Colorado," and I'm not going to finish it, either.

:P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3362 on: July 17, 2023, 01:59:13 pm »
I didn't finish it. ... I'm not going to finish it, either.

It's funny -- in my stack of old New Yorkers, almost all are open to a page with an article that I started but didn't finish.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3363 on: July 17, 2023, 02:02:09 pm »
"Kitchen God" was meh.

"Colorin Colorado" was much better.  In fact, I liked the writer's style; it flowed well. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3364 on: July 18, 2023, 09:24:34 am »
I got the feeling that the main character in "The Kitchen God" was married but her husband was never mentioned?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3365 on: July 18, 2023, 11:21:45 am »
I got the feeling that the main character in "The Kitchen God" was married but her husband was never mentioned?

I think maybe it was mentioned early on, but then we never heard anything more about him.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3366 on: July 19, 2023, 01:01:09 pm »
I can hardly believe it, but since I gave up on the fiction issue, at the moment I've actually outrun my New Yorkers.  :laugh:

So at lunch today I read (wait for it) ... the July-August issue of the AARP Bulletin. And I think I should start reading them. There is interesting stuff in them.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3367 on: July 19, 2023, 02:46:20 pm »
I can hardly believe it, but since I gave up on the fiction issue, at the moment I've actually outrun my New Yorkers.  :laugh:

So at lunch today I read (wait for it) ... the July-August issue of the AARP Bulletin. And I think I should start reading them. There is interesting stuff in them.

I wrote an article for the AARP some years back. It was about attention overload, which I myself suffer from.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3368 on: July 21, 2023, 12:41:27 pm »
Although I hardly ever read political stories anymore, I found "The New Blue Wall" about Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer interesting. I didn't realize the extent that Michigan works with the automotive industry and how that affects the whole Midwest. It should have been shorter though.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3369 on: July 21, 2023, 01:19:19 pm »
Although I hardly ever read political stories anymore, I found "The New Blue Wall" about Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer interesting. I didn't realize the extent that Michigan works with the automotive industry and how that affects the whole Midwest. It should have been shorter though.

I intend to read that, but, of course, I had to go first to Jill Lepore on bears.  ;D