Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964580 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3480 on: January 14, 2024, 05:53:59 pm »
This NYT article from 2021 has some information on that. Apparently fact checkers and such earn about $55,000 or more and are employees but it appears that most writers are considered contractors or freelancers and don't get benefits like health insurance. Another source says those who write short stories get about $7,500 for them.

Another place says the median salary is $90,010 and that even some of the star writers are considered contractors. George Packer, for instance, was just recently able to receive health coverage.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3481 on: January 14, 2024, 08:54:27 pm »
This NYT article from 2021 has some information on that. Apparently fact checkers and such earn about $55,000 or more and are employees but it appears that most writers are considered contractors or freelancers and don't get benefits like health insurance. Another source says those who write short stories get about $7,500 for them.

Another place says the median salary is $90,010 and that even some of the star writers are considered contractors. George Packer, for instance, was just recently able to receive health coverage.

Wow, and it's not like those are big salaries even in Minneapolis, let alone NYC.

Even $7,500 for a short story could amount less than $2 a word, which is what I was making when freelancing for mainstream magazines like Real Simple, Working Mother and More in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3482 on: January 26, 2024, 11:16:32 am »
I guess TNY thinks the visibility and prestige makes up for the reduced payments.  :-\

This week's issue has a "beginner friendly" crossword that I dispatched in under 10 minutes!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3483 on: January 26, 2024, 07:11:09 pm »
I guess TNY thinks the visibility and prestige makes up for the reduced payments.  :-\

Yeah. Unfortunately, the grocery store doesn't accept visibility and prestige as payment. Many publications have tried getting writers to work for free, saying they get "visibility." The writing community in general rejects that. I've worked for very low pay or free a few times but only for publications on a shoestring budget, not a Conde Nast magazine.

This week's issue has a "beginner friendly" crossword that I dispatched in under 10 minutes!

I rarely do crosswords, but based on the ToC, this week's issue has a lot of other good stuff!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3484 on: January 27, 2024, 03:38:19 pm »
I hear the Cond? Nast writers are on strike now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3486 on: January 30, 2024, 11:25:54 am »
This (January 29)  should have been called the "trapped woman" issue. On page 25 starts 25 pages of articles and fiction about trapped women. From reading the profile of Sophia Coppola, it seems clear that many of her films are influenced by the predicament of her mother, Eleanor, who is a creative woman trapped in the role of helping her super-famous and prolific husband. Then we have "Cave Woman", the tale of a Spanish woman who likes solitude so much that she voluntarily spent 500 days in a cave. I skipped over it at first, thinking "how can that be interesting?" but when I finally read it, it was engrossing. "Poor Houdini" by Anne Carson winds up the series. In case we haven't gotten the point yet, the illustration for the fiction piece shows a crow on a padlock. It must be somewhat autobiographical, because the protagonist is always thinking about words that rhyme with whatever was just said so she can create a sonnet. The story is full of similies and metaphors which seem outlandish at first until you think about them and then they ring true. For example, "The day is large and sharp, like the edges of tin cans."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3487 on: January 30, 2024, 02:36:38 pm »
I wouldn't say she was trapped--at least she didn't strike me as trapped--but David Sedaris' article is also about a woman, his friend Donna.

I guess maybe there is a theme here, even if they didn't give the issue a title.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 12:26:23 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3488 on: February 02, 2024, 01:23:51 pm »
I saved the Sedaris article for last. I loved and related to Dawn, for obvious reasons.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3489 on: February 02, 2024, 06:21:25 pm »
Oh, I've got much to catch up on! Read the Sedaris piece already -- I always go to those first. Now I'm on the one about the ruling class. Looking forward to psychedelics and twins.