Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1924813 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »
As a kid I was a huge GWTW fan, so I'm looking forward to Victor Fleming. But mine hasn't come yet.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2009, 09:41:18 am »
That's weird, I just put the Wizard of Oz (directed by Victor Fleming) on the banner, and this was the very next thread I came to after doing that. 

Wow, I've known for years that Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz were both 1939, but only now realized they had the same director.  How the heck did he make such huge, vast movies the same year?  I can barely run the dishwasher and the washing machine on the same day.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »
That's weird, I just put the Wizard of Oz (directed by Victor Fleming) on the banner, and this was the very next thread I came to after doing that. 

Wow, I've known for years that Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz were both 1939, but only now realized they had the same director.  How the heck did he make such huge, vast movies the same year?  I can barely run the dishwasher and the washing machine on the same day.

It's complicated.

Spoiler Alert!  :laugh:

Victor Fleming wasn't the sole director in charge of each film from start to finish. It's well known that he was brought onto GWTW after David O. Selznick fired George Cukor from the film. According to The New Yorker article, Fleming didn't direct any of the Kansas scenes in Oz.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
After reading this, I just HAD to read the Fleming article last nite...even after driving for 14 hours (YES, really!) Interesting that his exploits with Douglas Fairbanks set the bar for "manly man" behaviour that influenced Clark Gable's performance in Gone With the Wind and Red Dust. Was Fleming the first androphile, hehe?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2009, 12:42:57 pm »
It's complicated.

Spoiler Alert!  :laugh:

Victor Fleming wasn't the sole director in charge of each film from start to finish. It's well known that he was brought onto GWTW after David O. Selznick fired George Cukor from the film. According to The New Yorker article, Fleming didn't direct any of the Kansas scenes in Oz.

I notice that on IMDb about both movies.  They both have additional directors listed, including some very well-known ones.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 01:27:12 pm »
I just finished reading Jeffrey Toobin's profile of Chief Justice Roberts in the May 25 issue. Clearly the chief justice is George W. Bush's instrument to continue screwing the nation for decades to come.

The article includes what appears to be the chief justice's high school graduation picture. He has a face I would have neither liked nor trusted, even in high school.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2009, 01:31:28 pm »
At lunch today I read Atul Gawande's article on "The Cost Conundrum" in U.S. health care in the June 1 issue. I was cheered to learn from this article that while the U.S."may be more obese than any other industrialized nation," the U.S. also ranks "among the lowest rates of smoking and alcoholism," and is "in the middle of the range for cardiovascular disease and diabetes."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 01:38:40 pm »
In the summer reading issue, I've read Jonathan Franzen's short story, "Good Neighbors," and Louis Menand's article about writing programs.

The Franzen story started out great -- the characters are perfect reflections of the kinds of people who live in my neighborhood -- but my enthusiasm about it dwindled as it went along. The Menand article was not particularly memorable or profound. Oddly enough, I liked Louis Menand's writing better before he became a New Yorker staff writer, about a decade ago.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2009, 01:48:56 pm »
The summer reading issue

I'm slowly catching up on my issues.  :P  It helped that June 1 had almost nothing in it that interested me.  :-\

Is the Summer Readingn issue the one with today's date on the cover?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2009, 02:28:55 pm »
Yes, it's the one with the extraterrestrial reading a book. I also found the June 1 issue and the summer reading issue to have nothing of interest, which was distressing. I was most interested in the Franzen story but only got halfway through the first column!! I tell you, Annie Proulx really knows how to spoil people!! The last good fiction I read in the New Yorker was the Salmon Rushdie piece, and I mostly liked that one for the little references to some of his greatest works.

So, I have to turn to actual books since TNY has let me down...I just finished Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury, which was given to me by my closest friend and was sent directly from the author!! I'm just about to start on The Doo Dah Club, given to me by another friend. Need to amass a stack of summer reading materials, and taking suggestions!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"