Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921053 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2010, 04:06:08 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Friend!

You know, this thread is a great service to New Yorker subscribers. Who has time to read all of the articles -- or even most, or even (some weeks) any? And frankly, some weeks there isn't much in the table of contents that excites me. Yet there are so many wonderful pieces, I never want to risk missing anything really good.

Agreed! I know exactly what you mean!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2010, 01:57:22 pm »
I recommend the profile of Paul Krugman in the March 1 issue. I've heard his name from time to time but had no idea who he is.

It's nice to read about someone who will come right out and say that the Bush Administration told outright lies to the American people.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2010, 05:22:27 pm »
After several weeks in which I failed to get much interested in my weekly issues of TNY, I really enjoyed the latest issue, March 29, especially the graphics and photos, but several of the articles as well. I recommend you take a look at:

A beautiful photograph by Viviane Sassen on page 26 of a man with a small child (his son?) on his head and a lovely painting of an Amish (?) girl by Richard Wathen on page 32. A great short article on bats in Vermont and one on the trials of our boy Rufus Wainwright. (His dad Louden also is featured on TNY website singing about economist Paul Krugman, Jeff.) optom might find "Four Eyes" interesting, and

I even liked a poem (I usually bypass them), Titian Vs. Roadrunner by Dan Chiasson, on page 55.

Judith Thurman is her usual witty self, this time writing about wrinkles.

It's the style issue, so there is a wonderful portrait of the late Alexander McQueen and his iconic Armadillo shoe.

I haven't read the fiction yet. It's by Joyce Carol Oates, whose work I rarely like. But the illustrations are great.

But most of all, check out Fixed Couples, not to read about marriage therapy, which it is ostensibly about, but to understand the roots of the Eugenics movement which has spawned a lot of disguised homophobia, racism, elitism, and other forms of discrimination. I was shocked at the actions of Paul Popenoe, who was not a doctor or psychiatrist but who nevertheless influenced lawmakers and presidents enough to make forced sterilization a reality in the U.S. during the '20s and '30s.

Online, Hendrick Herzberg discusses the Republicans' latest misstep that led to their (not President Obama's) Waterloo, in the health care bill debate.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2010, 12:53:56 pm »
OK, I just skimmed back over this whole thread because I thought I remembered a discussion about the article about the Texas man who was executed for the arson murders of his own children, and how it was later demonstrated that he was innocent, wrongly convicted because of bogus ideas about the "science" of fire--but I couldn't find anything on this thread. Perhaps the discussion is on another forum.

Anyway, I bring this up here because I'm sure the article was in The New Yorker, and the incident proved the basis for the plot on last night's episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit: A man with a shady past was accused of murdering his two daughters by arson. In fact, reference was even made to the case of the Texas man, and the plot was resolved in the same way, demonstrating that a purely accidental fire could leave traces that looked like what was thought to be signs of arson.

Incidentally, in last night's episode, Sharon Stone began a short "run" as the new ADA who works with the SVU. The twist is that she is Eliot Stabler's/Christopher Meloni's former partner. Sam Waterston also made an appearance as DA Jack McCoy.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »
That doesn't ring a bell, friend. But, I enjoyed the theater criticism of La Cage aux Folles:

"Most gay children have straight parents, which means that, from birth, they're different from those who are closest to them. And, as they grow, so does their sense of their own otherness--a feeling that is not without use for an artist." The article talks about the life of Steven Sondheim, and the show it is about must be fascinating...I hope I get to see it, someday!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2010, 12:53:34 pm »
Well, here I am on the 3rd of May, finally catching up to the April 19 issue.  ;D

At lunch today I read the article by the writer who returned to the U.S. after living in China for 15 years. He and his wife settled in southwestern Colorado.  :D  One day they got a telephone call from a Chinese tour company that wanted to sell them a vacation tour to a mysterious land with lots of cowboys called Wai Er Ming. ...  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2010, 01:04:21 pm »
Well, here I am on the 3rd of May, finally catching up to the April 19 issue.  ;D

That's not so bad! I've probably got some in my pile dating back to the Bush Administration. Hopefully not Clinton's.

At lunch today I read the article by the writer who returned to the U.S. after living in China for 15 years. He and his wife settled in southwestern Colorado.  :D  One day they got a telephone call from a Chinese tour company that wanted to sell them a vacation tour to a mysterious land with lots of cowboys called Wai Er Ming. ...  ;D

:laugh:  Then what?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2010, 01:40:17 pm »
:laugh:  Then what?

His wife mistook a phone call from the National Rifle Association as coming from the National Lightbulb Association. Then the author won a half-marathon in Vegas.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2010, 01:41:14 pm »
That's not so bad! I've probably got some in my pile dating back to the Bush Administration.

Bush II or Bush I?  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2010, 07:20:25 pm »
Bush II or Bush I?  ;D

;D  Tell you what, if I hadn't moved five times since Bush I, I wouldn't be surprised to find some that old.

His wife mistook a phone call from the National Rifle Association as coming from the National Lightbulb Association. Then the author won a half-marathon in Vegas.

Hmm. Sounds like an odd piece.