Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921746 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
Their jobs are safe! Holmes ejaculates  ::) that to Peterson, the commissionaire, whose wife found the carbuncle in the crop of a goose she was preparing.

Actually, it was Dr. Watson.

I was reading about Jeremy Brett...apparently he got lost in the Homes character at some point and misplaced himself. Easy to do I imagine. He was also bi.

He was also a hopeless drunk, unfortunately, and my understanding was more gay than bi. I had it on the authority of a friend who worked at WGBH in Boston that Brett's marriage to Rebecca Eaton, a producer for PBS, was merely one of convenience, as they used to say.

But he was still a damn fine Sherlock Holmes.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2010, 01:03:22 pm »
Well, here's a familiar phrase!

Today while I eat lunch I'm reading William Finnegan's "Letter from Tijuana" in the October 18 issue. Describing the retired army colonel who had been given the top police job in Tijuana, Finnegan writes, "Leyzaola himself was, unmistakably, the new stud duck in town."

:D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2010, 11:52:56 am »
I read the New Yorker's profile of Gawker Media founder Nick Denton the other night, just before Gawker.com published some anonymous guy's reprehensible account of his (non)sexual encounter with Christine O'Donnell. I bet the New Yorker is wishing they'd held the piece another week. But their profile was a good preparation for happening on the O'Donnell post -- Denton comes across as interesting but unlikable. Now I've just upgraded him to loathsome.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »
I read the New Yorker's profile of Gawker Media founder Nick Denton the other night, just before Gawker.com published some anonymous guy's reprehensible account of his (non)sexual encounter with Christine O'Donnell. I bet the New Yorker is wishing they'd held the piece another week. But their profile was a good preparation for happening on the O'Donnell post -- Denton comes across as interesting but unlikable. Now I've just upgraded him to loathsome.

Now I'm intrigued. I was actually gonna skip that article!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »
I thought that before the U.S. election was over, I should read Nicholas Lemann's article on Harry Reid in the Oct. 25 issue. I'm glad I did because I didn't know that Reid had said that George W. Bush "is an ideologue who has done incalculable damage to the government, reputation, and moral standing of the United States of America," a position with which I completely agree.

I also didn't know that Reid had twice publicly called Bush a liar, and then explained, as if for the simple-minded, "When one lies, one is a liar."  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2010, 09:59:14 pm »
I thought that before the U.S. election was over, I should read Nicholas Lemann's article on Harry Reid in the Oct. 25 issue. I'm glad I did because I didn't know that Reid had said that George W. Bush "is an ideologue who has done incalculable damage to the government, reputation, and moral standing of the United States of America," a position with which I completely agree.

I also didn't know that Reid had twice publicly called Bush a liar, and then explained, as if for the simple-minded, "When one lies, one is a liar."  ;D

hehe!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:50 am »

While I haven't read the Gawker piece, I do find it difficult to believe that anyone could do more damage to Christine O'Donnelll than she could do to herself. Nevertheless, I read the Nick Denton piece over lunch yesterday.

What a thoroughly unlikable individual.  :P

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2010, 09:09:13 am »
While I haven't read the Gawker piece, I do find it difficult to believe that anyone could do more damage to Christine O'Donnelll than she could do to herself. Nevertheless, I read the Nick Denton piece over lunch yesterday.

What a thoroughly unlikable individual.  :P

Oh, I don't think the Gawker piece damaged her. It probably won her some sympathy votes. But you're right, she's her own worst enemy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2010, 10:04:15 am »
Oh, I don't think the Gawker piece damaged her. It probably won her some sympathy votes. But you're right, she's her own worst enemy.

But as John says, she probably has a bright future on Fox News.  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »
Today at lunch I began to read, but did not finish, Lauren Collins's article in the Oct. 25 issue about David Cameron's "Big Society" program in Britain.

I was delighted to learn that there is a hamlet in central Dorsetshire named Shitterton.  ;D