Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1925327 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »
For me, I still spend most of my free time reading. The difference is that I'm doing it on the internet instead of on paper.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »
For me, I still spend most of my free time reading. The difference is that I'm doing it on the internet instead of on paper.

I don't know how, or why--seriously--but I never seem to have the time to read that I did formerly. The New Yorker I read over lunch and dinner, and maybe I get a few pages in a book read, in bed, before I turn out the light.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2011, 12:59:49 pm »
Today I was entertained at lunch by reading about the differences between seals and sea lions. Also, I was surprised to learn that seals can pick up language, like parrots. The New England Aquarium once had a seal that spoke with a Boston accent.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »
Another great article was "Just in Time for Spring" by Ellis Weiner in the March 28 issue about an innovative concept called Going Outside.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »
Oh, and if you missed Tina Fey's "Confessions of a Juggler" in the February 14 and 21 issue, do not pass Go, go back and read it NOW! (Although it's not very original; our own Crayonlicious was first on the topic!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2011, 03:18:11 pm »
Oh, and if you missed Tina Fey's "Confessions of a Juggler" in the February 14 and 21 issue, do not pass Go, go back and read it NOW! (Although it's not very original; our own Crayonlicious was first on the topic!!

And here it is!!
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_fey

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »
I just finished the article about Barry Bonds' forthcoming trial for lying about his use of steroids.

But I have to say, if he wants to shrivel his baby-makers in order to hit more home runs, I really don't care. (Shrugs)

Apparently a lot of people do care about it, though.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2011, 08:56:41 am »
I finished The Lamb Roast over lunch today. It sure would be nice to have a barbecue like that one.  :)

On the basis of the geographic references, I presume the author grew up in or very near to New Hope, Pennsylvania. I know New Hope well, or did, anyway; I haven't been up there in years, now. It's an artsy place--appropriate for the author's scenic designer father and former dancer mother, and something of a haven for gay Philadelphians with automobiles. Her father's studio was in Lambertville, New Jersey, which is directly across the Delaware River from New Hope, and she writes about walking to Jersey after school for music lessons. You can do this by walking across the bridge between New Hope and Lambertville.

Interesting. I learned--or, rather, deduced--from an articile in this morning's Metro that "The Lamb Roast" was culled from the new autobiography of chef Gabrielle Hamilton, who did, indeed, grow up in New Hope, Pennsylvania. Her book is called Blood, Bones & Butter.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2011, 09:25:06 am »
Interesting. I learned--or, rather, deduced--from an articile in this morning's Metro that "The Lamb Roast" was culled from the new autobiography of chef Gabrielle Hamilton, who did, indeed, grow up in New Hope, Pennsylvania. Her book is called Blood, Bones & Butter.

BB&B has drawn a lot of attention. It's supposed to be good.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2011, 01:29:46 pm »
Looks like we have a new Sherlock and Dr. Watson on the case!!