Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921790 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »
So I learned from the March 28 issue that Cyndi Lauper is big in Japan. Who knew?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »
Oh, and if you missed Tina Fey's "Confessions of a Juggler" in the February 14 and 21 issue, do not pass Go, go back and read it NOW! (Although it's not very original; our own Crayonlicious was first on the topic!!

Can't wait to read her new memoir Bossy Pants. It will be interesting to contrast it with Annie Proulx's, the most recent memoir I've read.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2011, 01:22:24 pm »
I don't know how I've managed to do this, but I'm actually reading the April 4 issue the week of April 4!  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »
Well, whaddya know!?!?! When I got home today, the April 11 issue was in my mailbox, and it includes a profile of none other than our own LaShawn Malone! Yes, indeed, a profile of Anna Faris!

However, making a cursory skim of the article, focusing on quotation marks, since that's what The New Yorker uses where traditional practice calls for italics, I noticed no mention of Brokeback Mountain.  :(

The issue also has reviews of Jake's The Source Code and Michelle Williams's Meek's Cutoff.

So many Brokeback connections in one issue!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2011, 08:07:41 pm »
However, making a cursory skim of the article, focusing on quotation marks, since that's what The New Yorker uses where traditional practice calls for italics, I noticed no mention of Brokeback Mountain.  :(

That would be an unfortunate omission, since her work in BBM constitutes, as far as I know, her only role in a drama, albeit as a figure mostly there to provide comic relief. She was really good in that small role, and otherwise she seems to mainly appear in silly (though sometimes worthwhile) comedies. I seem to recall some critic -- it might have been the New Yorker's Anthony Lane, in fact -- saying something like, her casting was another example of Ang Lee's apparent project of elevating B-movie starlets to A-list actors in respected movies.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2011, 09:35:55 pm »
That would be an unfortunate omission, since her work in BBM constitutes, as far as I know, her only role in a drama, albeit as a figure mostly there to provide comic relief. She was really good in that small role, and otherwise she seems to mainly appear in silly (though sometimes worthwhile) comedies. I seem to recall some critic -- it might have been the New Yorker's Anthony Lane, in fact -- saying something like, her casting was another example of Ang Lee's apparent project of elevating B-movie starlets to A-list actors in respected movies.

It might, however, be an understandable omission. The article appears under the heading, "Annals of Comedy," and the title is "Funny Like a Guy: Anna Faris and Hollywood's Woman Problem." Tad Friend is the author.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2011, 08:46:01 am »
It might, however, be an understandable omission. The article appears under the heading, "Annals of Comedy," and the title is "Funny Like a Guy: Anna Faris and Hollywood's Woman Problem." Tad Friend is the author.

Oh, then I can't wait to read it. Hollywood does indeed have a woman problem, and that headline hints at part of it -- at least the comedy part. Women in comedies almost always play the sensible, responsible, dull straight man to the wild, crazy, funny guy. Anna Faris is one of the few exceptions.

So I guess I can see how, if the context is anything like that, the LaShawn role isn't quite on topic.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2011, 09:36:18 am »
The Anna Faris and Tina Fey articles are perfect complements to each other!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #278 on: April 07, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
The Anna Faris and Tina Fey articles are perfect complements to each other!!

OT, I guess, but Tina Fey must have gotten over her motherhood and career issues. I heard this morning that she's pregnant again.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #279 on: April 07, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »
Well, what was it Heath said about how Matilda came to be? "We let biology take over" or something like that!