Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921732 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2011, 02:58:25 pm »
Then you'll just have to find another cure for your boredom, friend! I hope the cure is not worse than the disease!

I read Laura Miller's article on your recommendation (below) and I found it entertaining, enlightening and quite scary!! I'm glad I haven't gotten sucked in to the George R. R. Martin mania, it makes Brokeholism look quite mild in comparison (even my case). I could not believe the passion and extremes those fans are willing to go to, inspiring one of Martin's supporters to protest that "GRRM is not your bitch." And the growth of the detractor sites...so scary (aside: they're called GRRuMblers lol). Seeing the persecution Martin suffers helped me to understand Annie Proulx's position seeking her privacy. One thing I marvelled at was that all the people mentioned who maintain chat rooms, sites, and fan clubs devoted to the Land of Fire and Ice series, not one was associated with holding a job or having a career in Real Life!!

One time in the 1990s, I had a similar idea to create a series called WOAD (World on a Disc). I never saw it through, though. If only...!!

I just finished "Just Write It!" by Laura Miller, in the April 11 issue, about George R. R. Martin, author of A Game of Thrones. I found it very interesting, especially the parts about members of on-line fan communities. ...  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2011, 06:55:23 pm »
I'm glad I haven't gotten sucked in to the George R. R. Martin mania, it makes Brokeholism look quite mild in comparison.

I thought that, too, when I read the article.

Seeing the persecution Martin suffers helped me to understand Annie Proulx's position seeking her privacy.

It does give a perspective on AP's position, doesn't it?

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2011, 12:42:55 pm »
Does anybody copy-edit or proofread this magazine anymore?

Here's a sentence from page 107 of the April 18 issue:

"The twenty-seven-dollar entry free ... provides full-day access to the beach. ..."

OK, I read that sentence three times to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing:

"Twenty-seven-dollar entry free."

Geez. ...  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »
Guess what's on the cover this week?!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2011, 12:13:56 am »
You are??! Oh no, wait, I'm guessing it's the library.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2011, 12:17:02 pm »
More specifically, Patience and Fortitude, the lions of the library!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »
Well, here's a cheery thought from the June 27, issue, courtesy of someone called Richard Florida: The more gay-friendly a city is, the more it's likely to be economically successful.  :D

For once I'm actually caught up in my New Yorkers, but that's because there was one issue that literally had only one article in it that interested me, the piece about Harriet Beecher Stowe, so I passed that issue on to my friend here at work quite quickly.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2011, 11:48:20 am »
Well, here's a cheery thought from the June 27, issue, courtesy of someone called Richard Florida: The more gay-friendly a city is, the more it's likely to be economically successful.  :D

So now maybe NYC will make it after all!  ;D

I've heard of Richard Florida. He's written a lot about the link between a city's economic success and the size of its creative class. And it stands to reason that more creative cities would be more gay-friendly, both as a cause and effect.

For once I'm actually caught up in my New Yorkers, but that's because there was one issue that literally had only one article in it that interested me, the piece about Harriet Beecher Stowe, so I passed that issue on to my friend here at work quite quickly.

I haven't seen the HBS article yet, but that sounds interesting. I've been reading short stories in the fiction issue.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »
Yes, I've read his book The Rise of the Creative Class.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »
Richard Florida is an American who is currently living and teaching in Toronto:

ROTMAN NEWS

Creative Class Thinker Joins Rotman School of Management

Toronto, July 16, 2007 -- A noted researcher, whose discovery of the “creative class” has been lauded by the Harvard Business Review as a major breakthrough idea, has joined the faculty of the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management. Richard Florida will be a professor of business economics and the Academic Director of the newly established Martin Prosperity Institute at the Rotman School.

Prof. Florida is well known for his work on economic competitiveness, demographic trends, and cultural and technological innovation. In the last five years, he has penned the international bestseller, The Rise of the Creative Class and also The Flight of the Creative Class, which launched an intellectual revolution that has changed the way companies, nations, and communities compete and thrive.