Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921365 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #330 on: July 28, 2011, 06:42:00 pm »
I read and enjoyed both. Though I also thought the Badinter piece was kind of all over the place; when I finished I wasn't sure I had a really cohesive idea of what Badinter's main points are. I would have liked a tiny bit less objectivity, too -- perhaps more of Kramer's analysis of the ideas.

My thoughts exactly! Although I couldn't stop reading out of a fascination for the bizarre and disorganized. It was kind of like watching a bear run away, all disjointed like he's falling apart.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #331 on: August 06, 2011, 12:07:06 pm »
I've read the Alex Ross piece on Oscar Wilde in the August 8 issue--makes me want to go back and reread The Picture of Dorian Gray to look for all the discreet gay allusions that I don't remember seeing when I read it years ago.  ;D

Also makes me want to look up Alex Ross; apparently he's gay and married to his partner.

Anyway, what really fascinated me was to learn that Arthur Conan Doyle knew Oscar Wilde, and they both published in Lippincott's magazine, which was published here in Philadelphia--the Lippincott name endured in publishing for well over a hundred years, actually. I had never thought about Conan Doyle and Wilde moving in the same circles.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
If you had seen the new PBS Sherlock (I know, I know, you're not interested) the gay theme would rocket right out at you and you'd see Wilde's influence on Doyle!! Also, it's insightful to go back and read the original stories or watch the earlier TV versions after seeing the latest incarnation.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »
Pooh! Sherlock Holmes and John Watson ain't queer. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2011, 11:01:10 pm »

Nobody's business but theirs.  ;D

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #335 on: August 08, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

Well, Sherlock sure seems to think he has good gaydar:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zG8CbCiBD4[/youtube]

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #336 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:56 am »
I had never thought about Conan Doyle and Wilde moving in the same circles.
I wouldn´t have guessed it either. Cool to know.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #337 on: August 08, 2011, 08:43:14 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #338 on: August 08, 2011, 01:41:44 pm »
Last night I was reading Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes, a kind of collection of fan fiction. The first story by Stuart Kaminsky, "The Man From Capetown" had the climactic murder scene set at the Cadogan Hotel, described as "known to be the London residence of Lilly Langtree and rumoured to be an occasional hideaway of the notorious playwright Oscar Wilde. "

It is too soon to say since I'm just on the second story, but so far the writing doesn't measure up to Doyle. But it is interesting to see how the various authors interpret his work.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #339 on: August 08, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »
Last night I was reading Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes, a kind of collection of fan fiction. The first story by Stuart Kaminsky, "The Man From Capetown" had the climactic murder scene set at the Cadogan Hotel, described as "known to be the London residence of Lilly Langtree and rumoured to be an occasional hideaway of the notorious playwright Oscar Wilde. "

It is too soon to say since I'm just on the second story, but so far the writing doesn't measure up to Doyle. But it is interesting to see how the various authors interpret his work.

It happens. For years I wanted to read the stories where Holmes goes after Dracula and then after Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. When I finally found a copy of the book, I found both stories kind of disappointing.

OTOH, I enjoyed Nicholas Meyer's "editions" of a few long-lost manuscripts of Dr. Watson.  ;D

I suppose all True Believers still hope for the discovery of the manuscript of the case involving the Giant Rat of Sumatra.  ;D