Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1924047 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #380 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »

There's an upcoming story about the lone pharmacist in Nucla, Colorado that is very much worth a look.

Glad you liked it, friend!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #381 on: September 23, 2011, 08:48:15 pm »
Glad you liked it, friend!

I can imagine what Annie Proulx might have made of the story of Mr. Brick.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #382 on: September 23, 2011, 09:13:45 pm »
If you liked that story, you might like Emus Loose in Egnar, which is about small town journalism in Colorado.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #383 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:56 pm »
I'm still reading the September 19th issue, and found a Brokeism in Ariel Levy's review of books about sexual evolutions of the past: "On warm spring evenings, [George Boyce] and a companion would roam around town looking for anonymous action with amenable young women. Their pursuits were almost always fruitful. Often ...a bold stare would suffice."

...like Aguirre's!!  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2011, 01:25:08 pm »
Granted it's in an ad for MSNBC, but has anyone noticed the statement in the Sept. 19 issue that presumably really does come from Chris Matthews?

"Over time, people who advance liberties tend to win the argument, whether it's for women, African Americans, immigrants, or the gay community. In the end, America takes the side of the people looking for rights. That's one of the wonders of this country. Eventually, we live up to our ideals."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »
Over lunch today, I read the Sept. 19 article about the playwright Katori Hall. Imagine, she's got Samuel L. Jackson and Angela Bassett doing her play, The Mountaintop, on Broadway!

As a fan of hats myself, I was charmed by the author's comment that Hall "doesn't shy from hats."  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #386 on: October 01, 2011, 10:18:58 am »
Oct. 3 is one of the best New Yorkers in memory. I have already read Mindy Kaling's funny and true piece about romcoms, and Elizabeth Kolbert's review of Steven Pinker's book, which I've been interested in. Now I'm starting Atul Gawande, who is never not interesting, and looking forward to Clapinto and Collins. and will probably even read Thomas McGuane's fiction (read the opening, and it looks promising). Oh, and the Current Cinema is about two movies I want to see: Moneyball and 50/50.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #387 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »
I gave up on Janet Malcolm's article (Sept. 26) on the guy who took the photo of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. Boring. ...

I like the photograph, except that the color and fabric texture of the dress the queen is wearing reminds me of my La-Z-Boy recliner.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #388 on: October 03, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
I like the photograph, except that the color and fabric texture of the dress the queen is wearing reminds me of my La-Z-Boy recliner.

They were never known for being fashion icons, were they?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #389 on: October 04, 2011, 02:22:58 am »
Annoying. I can't pay to only access the magazine's web edition. It's not likely that people abroad will pay for the paper edition since the shipment would cost as much as the magazine itself.