Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922012 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2011, 05:51:31 pm »
There are actually quite a few international subscribers. But the subscription price is $112 for a year...kind of expensive!! Yes, they should definitely have online subscriptions, at least for international readers!

Continuing in the Swedish theme...I read the long article about IKEA on Monday evening and then went to the new store in South Denver yesterday! There was just one thing I wanted to get. A set of wire cookie cooling racks. But...would you believe they didn't have any?? Amazing!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #391 on: October 06, 2011, 01:07:20 pm »
... the Sept. 26 issue to read Peter Hessler's piece about the man who runs the drug store in Nucla, Colorado. I first got out my atlas to see exactly where Nucla is.

Just learned that Hessler received a MacArthur "genius" grant:

http://www.cpr.org/article/Ridgway_Writer_Wins_Genius_Grant

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #392 on: October 06, 2011, 02:22:13 pm »
I'm finally more-or-less finished with that issue. Over lunch today I read the "bullet-proof couture" article.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #393 on: October 07, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »
Over dessert this evening I finished Atul Gawande's article about coaching. I love his writing.

If I ever need a thyroid operation, I wish I could go to Boston and have him do it!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #394 on: October 07, 2011, 10:24:00 pm »
He was rather self disparaging, but it was an interesting article.

I'm in the middle of the Taylor Swift bio now.  8)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #395 on: October 07, 2011, 11:41:48 pm »
Over dessert this evening I finished Atul Gawande's article about coaching. I love his writing.

If I ever need a thyroid operation, I wish I could go to Boston and have him do it!

Me too!

He was rather self disparaging,

Yes, that's one of the things I like most about him. He's a 46-year-old hotshot surgeon, a Harvard professor, a regular writer for the New Yorker ... and he's totally able to admit being flawed and human.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #396 on: October 07, 2011, 11:48:33 pm »
Yes, that's one of the things I like most about him. He's a 46-year-old hotshot surgeon, a Harvard professor, a regular writer for the New Yorker ... and he's totally able to admit being flawed and human.

I like that about him, too. I think in his writing he comes across as being very well grounded, with a very honest and realistic view of himself.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #397 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:57 pm »
I read the long article about IKEA on Monday evening and then went to the new store in South Denver yesterday! There was just one thing I wanted to get. A set of wire cookie cooling racks. But...would you believe they didn't have any?? Amazing!

I finished that article over lunch today. Company sounds like a cult. I've never been to an IKEA store and I have no desire to visit one. I get a catalog in the mail, and IKEA's stuff is just not to my taste.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #398 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »
I'm most of the way through that one. Kind of interesting, though it's a little more than I really need to know about IKEA.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:37 am »
I'm most of the way through that one. Kind of interesting, though it's a little more than I really need to know about IKEA.

The thought crossed my mind as I was reading it that the article is longer than it really needs to be.