Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922469 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2012, 09:52:53 am »
Oh, I saw that yesterday, and I agree with Remnick -- very sad.

Unlike other journalist-fabricationists like Stephen Glass or Janet Cook or Jayson Blair, Jonah Lehrer was really talented at writing that doesn't involve making stuff up. But he must have been super busy -- blogs, articles, bestselling books -- and maybe could not resist the temptation to cut corners.

Resigning in disgrace from the New Yorker is so unheard of I would imagine it would seriously threaten any future career. Plus, the publisher has stopped shipping his book and has pulled the electronic version.

It had sold 200,000 copies so far.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2012, 12:28:17 pm »
Next up will be Dexter Filkins on Afghanistan.

I don't like Dexter Flikins' or Jon Lee Anderson's articles mainly because they're too long. However, I read them anyway because I figure they're Important and also good for me.  :-\

OK, well, in spite of myself, I actually enjoyed the Filkins piece on Afghanistan. It was still a bit longer than I thought was necessary, but it was interesting.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2012, 04:24:15 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2012, 06:03:18 pm »
And a scathing TNR review of his most recent book (published before the controversy):

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/103912/bob-dylan-jonah-lehrer-creativity?page=0,0

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2012, 07:01:08 pm »
Thanks, Katharine.

I'll have to check those articles out at work tomorrow. Links disagree with my antique PC.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2012, 09:20:26 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:12 am »
In defense of Jonah Lehrer:

http://observer.com/2012/08/laffaire-lehrer-sticking-up-for-jonah/

I think Tullis' point about the coverup seeming worse than the crime is worth noting.

And I love it that he calls Bill O'Reilly a fathead.  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »
I think Tullis' point about the coverup seeming worse than the crime is worth noting.

Too bad Lehrer didn't give Tullis a call before responding to the accusations. Tullis' proposed explanation is genius.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »
Too bad Lehrer didn't give Tullis a call before responding to the accusations. Tullis' proposed explanation is genius.

Not that I'm trying to excuse Lehrer, but it does seem to me that if you do something like what he did, and get caught at it, you only make it worse for yourself when you lie about it. That's what I took away from my admittedly swift read of Tullis' defense.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #519 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:28 am »
Well, now that Romney has named Paul Ryan as "the next President of the United States,"  :laugh:  I'm going to have to read the Aug. 6-issue article about Ryan. The article's title is "Fussbudget."  :laugh: