Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921936 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #800 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:37 pm »
It ought to be. The movie is wonderful.

If one of the magazine's regular critics did a full-on review of it, I must have missed it.

I knew in a moment it was Kind Hearts and Coronets. Clever idea to make a musical out of it.  :)

Jeff, I looked for the New Yorker review, but I don't have an online subscription.  Certainly Isherwood in the Times mentioned the connection; his review is very accurate (it's possible I never read a New Yorker review, actually, and was thinking of this one--I guess the New Yorker is better known for film reviews).  As he notes, the musical is even more farcical.  Jefferson Mays (who was astonishing in "I Am My Own Wife") has a wonderfully manic flair in the Alec Guinness role.  Bryce Pinkham, who plays Monty, is pretty easy on the eyes, and has a lovely tenor voice.

I recall seeing the film as a kid.  Perhaps, it's time to summon it on Netflix!

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #801 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:04 pm »
Jeff, I looked for the New Yorker review, but I don't have an online subscription.  Certainly Isherwood in the Times mentioned the connection; his review is very accurate (it's possible I never read a New Yorker review, actually, and was thinking of this one--I guess the New Yorker is better known for film reviews).  As he notes, the musical is even more farcical.  Jefferson Mays (who was astonishing in "I Am My Own Wife") has a wonderfully manic flair in the Alec Guinness role.  Bryce Pinkham, who plays Monty, is pretty easy on the eyes, and has a lovely tenor voice.

I recall seeing the film as a kid.  Perhaps, it's time to summon it on Netflix!

Whoever wrote the magazine blurb praises Jefferson Mays.

The film is one of the many I've never got around to adding to my library, but it certainly is delightlful.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #802 on: January 15, 2014, 09:23:09 pm »

BTW, I saw this play last week and it was great fun!

Lucky guy! I heard a review on NPR for it and considered going to New York especially to see this! (if I won the lottery).

I recently just saw the movie for the first time. I made a friend of mine watch Local Hero and in return, he made me watch KHAC. I think we both won.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #803 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:33 am »
Jeff, I looked for the New Yorker review, but I don't have an online subscription. 

I have one, but the longer review didn't come up in a search. That's not conclusive, but at least in the movie reviews the New Yorker will note the date of the initial full review, but in this case the blurb makes not mention of one.

I guess the New Yorker is better known for film reviews

I wouldn't have guessed that, but you may be right. For obvious reasons, I don't follow their theater reviews very closely.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #804 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:55 am »
I have one, but the longer review didn't come up in a search. That's not conclusive, but at least in the movie reviews the New Yorker will note the date of the initial full review, but in this case the blurb makes not mention of one.

I wonder why they don't do that? List the date of an original theater review, I mean.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #805 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:22 am »
I wouldn't have guessed that, but you may be right. For obvious reasons, I don't follow their theater reviews very closely.

It's funny:  I can easily name the New Yorker film reviewers (especially fond of Anthony Lane); and also the Times theatre reviewers.  But, not vice versa.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #806 on: January 16, 2014, 12:58:17 pm »
Hilton Als (whom I've heard of for reasons not directly related to theater -- he writes about other stuff, too) and an older guy, something Lahr.

OK, the above was written pre-googling. I was right on both counts. Lahr is John Lahr (I always picture him as Bert Lahr, but he's not THAT much older; Bert Lahr would be turning 119 this year).

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #807 on: January 16, 2014, 01:50:13 pm »
John Lahr is Bert Lahr's son!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #808 on: January 16, 2014, 02:07:04 pm »
I highly recommend Anthony Lane's 2002 book Nobody's Perfect, a collection of film reviews and other related essays.  He has a delightfully wicked sense of humor.  The title refers to the last line of "Some Like it Hot".

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #809 on: January 16, 2014, 02:19:16 pm »
Meanwhile, I'm also reading the profile of Jennifer Weiner in the Jan. 13 issue. Much lighter, but I already follow the controversies surrounding male and female writers and literary vs. popular novels, so it's pretty old news to me. Plus, much of it is about events that took place online (which is why I'm familiar with them), which gives the piece and oddly airless and inconsequential-seeming quality.

I started this over lunch today. I remember when she was a writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Hardly important, but I found it interesting to learn that apparently her name is supposed to be pronounced the proper German way, with a long "i." I've always heard people (mis)pronounce it with a long "e."

(Meanwhile, I thought everybody who read The New Yorker knew that John Lahr was the son of Bert; he's written about his father from time to time.)