Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920995 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #830 on: March 13, 2014, 10:24:52 am »
I can tell, because if you're talking about the short term for "science fiction," it's actually spelled sci fi.  ;)  ;D

I just used TV Guide's spelling for the channel.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #831 on: March 19, 2014, 08:40:19 am »
LOL  I was just about to post that "Sy Fy" is how the SyFy networks spells it.

However, Catherine is right, the real abbreviation is "Sci fi".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #832 on: March 19, 2014, 09:28:00 am »
Hey, if I wanna spell it like they do on TV, I'm gonna spell it like they do on TV.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #833 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:54 am »
I've started reading the profile of Darren Aronofsky. I've yet to see Black Swan, but now, thanks to the profile, I know how it ends!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2014, 11:18:16 am »
Hey, if I wanna spell it like they do on TV, I'm gonna spell it like they do on TV.  ;D

Just a follow up, lol ....I do the Star Ledger crosswords each day at lunch.  One clue from yesterday was:

"___-fi"

I instantly thought of you and this conversation!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2014, 11:22:14 am »
Just a follow up, lol ....I do the Star Ledger crosswords each day at lunch.  One clue from yesterday was:

"___-fi"

I instantly thought of you and this conversation!

:laugh:

Are you sure the answer wasn't "Hi"?  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2014, 01:25:37 pm »
I'm now reading Jon Lee Anderson's March 10 article about the proposal to build a canal across Nicaragua (less a "duty article" than most of Anderson's pieces). I admit I'm surprised to learn that Daniel Ortega is still around; now, there's a name out of the 1980s for you! (Oliver North and Fawn Hall get mentioned, too!) Ortega is now just your garden-variety corrupt banana-republic dictator.

Anderson himself offers an explanation for why I didn't realize Ortega was still around:

"Since the end of the Cold War, Nicaragua has been on a geostrategic par with Burkina Faso; in other words, it doesn't matter much."

:laugh:

I wonder whether there are any New Yorker readers in Burkina Faso?  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #837 on: March 25, 2014, 01:09:12 pm »
At lunch today I finished David Denby's (March 17) article about the new book about the five Hollywood directors who went to war and made films for the military during World War II, John Ford, John Huston, William Wyler, George Stevens, and Frank Capra, who had the rank of major and seems to have been in charge of the operation. Seems to me their experiences would make as good a subject for a movie as the Monuments Men. The article also seems to be nudging me to see certain movies, both vintage and contemporary, that I've never seen.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #838 on: March 25, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
I really enjoyed that article too, and it made me want to see the films they had made before and after the war, to contrast.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #839 on: March 25, 2014, 06:39:20 pm »
I really enjoyed that article too, and it made me want to see the films they had made before and after the war, to contrast.

Every one that's mentioned is a classic. I haven't seen them all, but I have seen five of the seven John Ford films mentioned, the three Wylers, The Maltese Falcon (Huston), Gunga Din and A Place in the Sun (Stevens), and It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and It's a Wonderful Life (Capra) (I've seen several of them several times). In a college poli sci class I even saw Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will--which is truly creepy and scary. I'm feeling now that I should see The Best Years of Our Lives (Wyler) and They Were Expendable (Ford).