Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922445 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1010 on: November 19, 2014, 02:47:48 pm »
I highly recommend "Whipping Boy" (Nov. 17), Allen Kurzweil's account of tracking down the bully who bullied him in boarding school. I found it very entertaining. (The book comes out in January.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1011 on: November 21, 2014, 12:44:54 am »
On your advice, I read the article and found it to be not at all what I expected. Quite a wild ride! I was thinking the author would confront the bully and there would be some kind of resolution...or not. But he would take solace in the fact that the guy was a lifelong loser. What an understatement!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1012 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:45 am »
Salon ran a series for a while in which people who'd been bullied wrote about finding and confronting them years later, as adults. Of course, most of them lacked all the intrigue involving high-flying international con artists and the like, but there were some interesting stories.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1013 on: December 02, 2014, 12:02:39 am »
It's almost too late, but the New Yorker is running a cyber-Monday deal on 6 months' subscription!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1014 on: December 03, 2014, 05:50:49 pm »
The December 8 issue has several articles that interested me. Of course I had to read "The View from a Bridge" by Adam Gopnik first, as I witnessed the scourge of "lovelocks" in Paris (and most other places) when I was there in September. I haven't read "The Ride of Their Lives" by Burkhard Bilger yet about rodeo children, but the photos are just heartbreaking.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1015 on: December 03, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »
The December 8 issue has several articles that interested me. Of course I had to read "The View from a Bridge" by Adam Gopnik first, as I witnessed the scourge of "lovelocks" in Paris (and most other places) when I was there in September. I haven't read "The Ride of Their Lives" by Burkhard Bilger yet about rodeo children, but the photos are just heartbreaking.

My copy of the Dec. 8 issue arrived in today's mail. I can't wait to read Bilger's article about kids learning to be bull riders. I notice there is a picture of two kids who competed in "mutton busting," so I guess they still start them on the woolies.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: December 03, 2014, 08:43:45 pm »
Moving backward to the Dec. 1 issue, I really liked the piece on fecal transplants. Though Jeff, it's not one I suggest you read on your lunch hour.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1017 on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:16 pm »
Moving backward to the Dec. 1 issue, I really liked the piece on fecal transplants. Though Jeff, it's not one I suggest you read on your lunch hour.

It won't faze me. Remember what I do for a living. I've already read a lot about fecal transplants for people because antibiotics they've been taking for other infections wipe out the "good fauna" in their GI tracts.

But thank you for calling my attention to the article. Otherwise I might somehow have missed it.

Otherwise, I'm still slogging through the Steve Coll duty article about drone warfare (Nov. 24). Actually, pretty much that entire issue is "duty" for me.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:38:26 am by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1018 on: December 04, 2014, 02:01:27 pm »
Otherwise, I'm still slogging through the Steve Coll duty article about drone warfare (Nov. 24). Actually, pretty much that entire issue is "duty" for me.  :-\

I found the Coll article very depressing. I guess I should read the Groopman piece and the McGrath piece, but I really just want to move on to the next issue.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1019 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:48 pm »
I'm still into the Dec. 1 issue. After fecal transplants (fascinating, as I said), I read the short story, which was OK even though it was set in Israel (though I didn't realize that until the end, and it probably has subtle political shadings to which I was oblivious). I'm usually kind of picky about foreign-set stories, as I've probably said, though I think the last New Yorker short story I read was set in Japan. Now I'm reading Nicholas Lehman's piece about books about Google's success and business-success books in general.