Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921631 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1040 on: January 06, 2015, 02:34:12 pm »
What with its description of dead stoats disgorging maggots, I really wouldn't recommend that the New Zealand article be read over lunch, but all-in-all I found it quite interesting.

And for a change at least it isn't just the Europeans who are to blame.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1041 on: January 07, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »
I finished "The Virologist" over lunch today. One phrase in the article tickles me: "memes with momentum." I like the alliteration, (I really don't understand what a meme is, even though Katherine, or somebody, explained it to me once a long time ago, during some election cycle, but I'm not bothered by my lack of understanding.)

Another thing about this article is that for some reason, while reading it, I found myself reflecting on the fact that there are now adults who have no personal experience of the predigital world.

I also read David Sedaris' piece. That leaves me with the Armenian genocide article to read; that one looks very long.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:07 pm »
(I really don't understand what a meme is, even though Katherine, or somebody, explained it to me once a long time ago, during some election cycle, but I'm not bothered by my lack of understanding.)

Gee, thanks for that endorsement of my explanation! Glad I could help.

I didn't read the article -- looked too tech-y for my taste -- but I did read the David Sedaris. And [*sigh*] I probably won't get to the Armenian one, which being extremely long and foreign and incredibly depressing has at least three "duty" factors against it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1043 on: January 08, 2015, 12:18:48 am »
I skipped the Armenian article too! Although I did look at the pictures.

In the latest issue, I've delved into the fiction piece already!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1044 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:51 am »
Gee, thanks for that endorsement of my explanation! Glad I could help.

You're welcome! The more I think about it, the surer I am that it was you who explained meme.

I didn't read the article -- looked too tech-y for my taste -- but I did read the David Sedaris. And [*sigh*] I probably won't get to the Armenian one, which being extremely long and foreign and incredibly depressing has at least three "duty" factors against it.

"The Virologist" was too tech-y for my taste, too, but it was one of those things that I felt I should read because even if I don't do lots of tech-y things, I think it's a good idea to know something about what's going on in the tech-o-sphere.

I'll at least give the Armenian article a go.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1045 on: January 08, 2015, 01:58:15 pm »
I wouldn't call "The Virologist" techy at all. It's more sociology or psychology, definitely of the pop variety. Emerson's company uses memes and clickbait to drive people to social media and sites. They try to maximize eyeballs to sell ads, much the way television did way back when.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1046 on: January 08, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »
I'll at least give the Armenian article a go.  :-\

Actually, I'm finding this article fascinating. It personalizes a history that I know very little about, and probably most Americans know even less.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1047 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:05 pm »
You're welcome! The more I think about it, the surer I am that it was you who explained meme.

I was being sarcastic, referring to the part where I (or somebody) went to all the trouble to explain it, only to have you claim not to care if you understand it or not.  :-X ;)

"The Virologist" was too tech-y for my taste, too, but it was one of those things that I felt I should read because even if I don't do lots of tech-y things, I think it's a good idea to know something about what's going on in the tech-o-sphere.

You could start with knowing what a meme is.

I wouldn't call "The Virologist" techy at all. It's more sociology or psychology, definitely of the pop variety. Emerson's company uses memes and clickbait to drive people to social media and sites. They try to maximize eyeballs to sell ads, much the way television did way back when.

Well, I already totally get that people do all of those things online. None of that is the least bit surprising to me at this point, and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of not only its psychology but its economics. What it looked like the article did was explain the technical aspects to doing those things, which I don't care about learning.

However, it's quite possible I got the wrong impression. I did flip through it quite quickly.

In the latest edition (black cover) I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's review of Stephen Brill's book about the creation of the ADA. Gladwell is not a huge fan of the book, and I'll have to say his review is measured and smart and even at times hilarious without seeming overly snarky.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1048 on: January 08, 2015, 10:19:51 pm »
I was being sarcastic, referring to the part where I (or somebody) went to all the trouble to explain it, only to have you claim not to care if you understand it or not.  :-X ;)

I didn't say I didn't care. I said not understanding it didn't bother me.  ;)

You could start with knowing what a meme is.

Ha. Ha. Might do you some good to read about the Armenian genocide, too.  ;)

Well, I already totally get that people do all of those things online. None of that is the least bit surprising to me at this point, and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of not only its psychology but its economics. What it looked like the article did was explain the technical aspects to doing those things, which I don't care about learning.

But I'm supposed to care what a meme is?  :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:38:14 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1049 on: January 11, 2015, 08:40:08 pm »
It looked to me as if there wasn't anything in the January 12 issue that I was interested in reading, but, fortunately, I'm enjoying Adam Gopnik's article on the sociologist Howard Becker.