Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922268 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1120 on: March 14, 2015, 03:18:34 pm »
It was interesting to read that Anne Hathaway will be returning to Broadway to play a fighter pilot in Julie Taymor's "Grounded" starting in early April.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1121 on: March 16, 2015, 01:06:25 pm »
I just finished the March 9 piece about the break-in at Y-12. It was very interesting. I don't quite know what to make of it, but it scares the dickens out of me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1122 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35:14 pm »
Purely by accident, I started reading the March 16 article about Gerry Adams, the I.R.A., "The Troubles," and the disappearance and murder of Jean McConville on St. Patrick's Day.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1123 on: March 24, 2015, 01:03:41 pm »
Patricia Marx's March 23 article on plastic surgery in South Korea is enthralling.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1124 on: March 24, 2015, 05:56:23 pm »
I just finished that one. Crazy that they have reality and game TV shows related to plastic surgery!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1125 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:02 pm »
I just finished that one. Crazy that they have reality and game TV shows related to plastic surgery!

We do too, don't we? At least we have had. There was a reality show -- I think called "The Swan"? -- that conducted dramatic makeovers on people that included plastic surgery.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1126 on: March 25, 2015, 09:26:45 am »

We do too, don't we? At least we have had. There was a reality show -- I think called "The Swan"? -- that conducted dramatic makeovers on people that included plastic surgery.

Oh, yuck. I think I remember hearing about The Swan. But whoever does a show like that, it's just creepy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1127 on: March 26, 2015, 12:14:26 pm »
I read the Colm Toibin fiction piece, but only because I read somewhere that he's gay. The narrator of the story certainly is.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1128 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »
Over supper this evening I finished the March 23 article about the woes of the Metropolitan Opera under Peter Gelb. This amounted to a duty article for me because opera just isn't my thing (sorry, Meryl  :-\ ). On the other hand, I recognize the Met as an important cultural institution, so I read the article.

Anyway, I did come away from the article with something that I find amusing. The Met's production of La Boheme was designed by Franco Zeffirelli in 1981. That means that when Cher and Nicholas Cage went to the Met in Moonstruck (1987), they were seeing Zeffirelli's production.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1129 on: March 30, 2015, 01:37:29 pm »
During an abbreviated lunch today, I read Louis Menand's March 30 article on a new book called 1995: The Year the Future Began. I won't give away Menand's conclusion, but in a way, for me, 1995 really was the year the future began. It's the year my mother died, and all of the sudden I was faced with a world without her.  :-\