Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1947225 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1170 on: June 21, 2015, 12:07:30 am »
I'm reading a long story in the fiction issue by Jonathan Franzen called "The Republic of Bad Taste." The first page or two were really hard to get interested in, but the story has picked up steam and now it's reminding me of a good film noir.

I gave up after about the first page. But on your say-so, and because I generally like Franzen's writing, I should give it another try.

Did you read Freedom? I never got more than a few chapters into it. But I loved The Corrections! I'm wondering if my patience just isn't what it used to be.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1171 on: June 21, 2015, 10:33:35 am »

Did you read Freedom? I never got more than a few chapters into it. But I loved The Corrections! I'm wondering if my patience just isn't what it used to be.

I felt exactly the same as you did about both novels. So, I really really wanted to read and like TROBT. It does improve after the first couple of pages, I promise!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1172 on: June 23, 2015, 01:43:59 pm »
I gave up after about the first page. But on your say-so, and because I generally like Franzen's writing, I should give it another try.

I forced my way through to the end because I thought I had a duty to read it, since he's an Important Writer.

Mine sure isn't.

Meanwhile, at lunch today I finished the June 22 profile of Dianne Feinstein, No trouble finishing that one because I've admired her since I first heard of her at the time of the Moscone-Milk assassinations.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1173 on: June 24, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »
Today I read the June 22 article about euthanasia in Belgium for people with incurable depression. I learned that in Belgium, schoolchildren take a course in "nonconfessional ethics," which seems like a very good idea to me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1174 on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:29 am »
Just ran across this Today in Literary History factoid for June 26:

TODAY: In 1948, Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" is published in The New Yorker.

I never even knew that's where it was first published!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1175 on: June 26, 2015, 11:49:18 am »
Just ran across this Today in Literary History factoid for June 26:

TODAY: In 1948, Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" is published in The New Yorker.

I never even knew that's where it was first published!

Neat!

Now that you mention it, I think I read that somewhere--I mean, that the story was first published in TNY--but I don't remember where that was. It was probably somewhere in TNY itself.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1176 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:18 am »
I remember reading that story.  creepy.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1177 on: June 27, 2015, 11:58:55 am »
We should have mentioned that in our discussion of things everyone reads in high school.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1178 on: June 27, 2015, 12:00:37 pm »
Yeah, we should've!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1179 on: June 27, 2015, 12:25:40 pm »
That discussion is still going on! I haven't had a chance to weigh in with my latest thoughts on it, or even to thank you all for contributing.

Go here to comment further!
"chewing gum and duct tape"