Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922407 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1370 on: March 02, 2016, 05:21:09 pm »
Once at a party, my then-husband was in a conversation with the latter guy, who was going on and on about how great Canada is compared to the United States. My ex is actually more interested in Canada than any U.S. person I know -- he always knows who the PM is, and even read a whole book about Canada. But finally he got fed up with this guy's bragging and exclaimed, "But R., it's boring! Canada is fucking boring!" The room went silent, and then everyone burst out laughing.

I might have asked him, If Canada is so wonderful, why did you leave? Or, Why don't you go back?

There are all kinds of other tricks to promoting your site and luring readers. During my unemployed years, it was one money-making venture I considered. I even bought a book on it. But it's a lot of work with no guarantee of success.

So there's at least one book out there on how to become a blogger? That would probably answer my questions. Stuff like, How do you really get started? How do you get a place on the Internet? How do you get advertisers? But let be, let be.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1371 on: March 02, 2016, 05:22:27 pm »
So from my ripped-out-article pile I've plucked one from last March by Seymour Hersh, recalling his coverage of the My Lai massacre.

He tells an anecdote about coming to St. Paul to speak, and afterward being approached by Hubert Humphrey. After losing the presidential race to Nixon because he was too closely associated with LBJ and the war, Humphrey was teaching at the college where Hersh spoke. Afterwards, Humphrey went to talk to him:

"I have no problem with you, Mr. Hersh," he said. "You were doing your job and you did it well. But as for those kids who march around saying, 'Hey hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?' Humphrey's fleshy, round face reddened and his voice grew louder with every phrase. "I say, 'Fuck 'em, fuck 'em, fuck 'em.'"

:o :o :o  That's doesn't exactly fit the image we Minnesotans cherish of our beloved Happy Warrior!

I remember that article. Doesn't fit my memory/image of HHH either, and I'm not even from Minnesota.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1372 on: March 02, 2016, 08:52:40 pm »
I might have asked him, If Canada is so wonderful, why did you leave? Or, Why don't you go back?

Good point. I think it's because his ex-wife and kids live here.

He's just one of those guys who thinks he's always right and is intolerant of others' views. I know a lot of people are like that sometimes, myself included on some topics, but he made me mad at my son's graduation party a couple of years ago because he started bashing Christians. I find that offensive in general, all the more so in this case because some of the other guests, seated not far away, were Christians. (I mean mild-mannered Protestant churchgoers minding their own business, not the fire and brimstone crowd.)

I said, "Just what is it you have against Christians, R.? Is it because you think they believe they're always right and aren't tolerant of other people's religious views?"

He got my point but it still didn't shut him up. Luckily, he was the husband of a longtime friend. They got divorced a year or two ago and I haven't seen him since.

So there's at least one book out there on how to become a blogger? That would probably answer my questions. Stuff like, How do you really get started? How do you get a place on the Internet? How do you get advertisers? But let be, let be.

This particular book came out about eight years ago, so you wouldn't want that one. I believe there's also a Blogging for Dummies, which probably gets updated.

Getting a place on the internet isn't hard. First you have to buy a domain name, i.e., jeffwrangler.com. That's maybe $10 a year. Then you go to one of the sites that helps you set it up. I use GoDaddy, because that's where I bought my domain name, but there are others. I think Google has one. As for advertisers I'm not sure but again you could easily find out by googling.

By far the hardest part is finding stuff to write about and keep it up every day. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting Wrangler's [W]rambles, but out there among the public it might not draw in unique page views by the hundreds of thousands.

I kept a blog for a while -- no ads, not many readers, no revenue whatsoever -- but I felt like it was keeping me from more important writing so I let it slide.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1373 on: March 02, 2016, 09:12:13 pm »
Good point. I think it's because his ex-wife and kids live here.

He's just one of those guys who thinks he's always right and is intolerant of others' views. I know a lot of people are like that sometimes, myself included on some topics, but he made me mad at my son's graduation party a couple of years ago because he started bashing Christians. I find that offensive in general, all the more so in this case because some of the other guests, seated not far away, were Christians. (I mean mild-mannered Protestant churchgoers minding their own business, not the fire and brimstone crowd.)

Thank you, on behalf of mild-mannered, socially conscious mainline Protestants everywhere.  ;D

I said, "Just what is it you have against Christians, R.? Is it because you think they believe they're always right and aren't tolerant of other people's religious views?"

He got my point but it still didn't shut him up. Luckily, he was the husband of a longtime friend. They got divorced a year or two ago and I haven't seen him since.

Somehow I doubt you've shed any tears over that.  8)  ;)

This particular book came out about eight years ago, so you wouldn't want that one. I believe there's also a Blogging for Dummies, which probably gets updated.

Well, there seem to be books "for Dummies" for just about everything else, so I'm sure there must be one blogging, too.  ;D

Getting a place on the internet isn't hard. First you have to buy a domain name, i.e., jeffwrangler.com. That's maybe $10 a year. Then you go to one of the sites that helps you set it up. I use GoDaddy, because that's where I bought my domain name, but there are others. I think Google has one. As for advertisers I'm not sure but again you could easily find out by googling.

By far the hardest part is finding stuff to write about and keep it up every day. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting Wrangler's [W]rambles, but out there among the public it might not draw in unique page views by the hundreds of thousands.

I kept a blog for a while -- no ads, not many readers, no revenue whatsoever -- but I felt like it was keeping me from more important writing so I let it slide.

Oh, not to worry. I'm sure you've noticed that sometimes I go for days without writing anything. Then I notice that fact, and I think, "Oh, shit, I guess I better find something to say!"  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1374 on: March 11, 2016, 02:54:26 pm »
I highly, highly recommend David Remnick on Donald Trump in the March 14 issue. I generally avoid political commentary, because it bores me, but Remnick's is a great piece of writing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1375 on: March 11, 2016, 09:36:59 pm »
I highly, highly recommend David Remnick on Donald Trump in the March 14 issue. I generally avoid political commentary, because it bores me, but Remnick's is a great piece of writing.

All right, Jeff, but only on your well-trusted say so. I'm seriously oversaturated with information on all four (it's down to four now, right?) remaining candidates. Two would be catastrophic, two would be acceptable in one way or another... that's about all I know at this point. When the time comes to pull the lever, it should be pretty clear-cut.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1376 on: March 13, 2016, 05:38:05 pm »
All right, Jeff, but only on your well-trusted say so. I'm seriously oversaturated with information on all four (it's down to four now, right?) remaining candidates. Two would be catastrophic, two would be acceptable in one way or another... that's about all I know at this point. When the time comes to pull the lever, it should be pretty clear-cut.

Oh, I hear ya. I'm sick and tired of it myself. I guess I read Remnick's commentary only because it wasn't a full-scale article, but reading it made me go, "Woo-hoo!"  :laugh:

I just thought it turned out to be a great piece of writing.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1377 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:30 am »
One day recently I was reading something from the New Yorker online, and on the right rail it showed the top 5 stories -- all 5 were about Donald Trump. I'm so sick of that name I'd refuse to vote for him for that reason alone!

But unfortunately, the way America works is just the opposite. The more people hear a name the more interesting that person seems to become to a large share of the public, which generates a self-fulfilling circle.

Which is why I see/hear Trump's name on average about once an hour and I see/hear Kim Kardashian's probably at least once a day.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1378 on: March 17, 2016, 05:26:50 pm »
Well, there's a respite of sorts in the new issue. A story by Annie Proulx!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1379 on: March 17, 2016, 07:30:56 pm »
Well, there's a respite of sorts in the new issue. A story by Annie Proulx!!

Why, so there is!