Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922617 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1380 on: March 29, 2016, 09:35:07 pm »
Well, there's a respite of sorts in the new issue. A story by Annie Proulx!!

Read it over lunch today. Her punctuation is more standard compared to her Wyoming stories. But then I always had the suspicion that in the writing of her Wyoming stories she was trying to emulate how certain Wyoming people talk.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1381 on: March 30, 2016, 06:55:34 pm »
I'm a bit annoyed with myself right now. As usual I have three issues going at once. In something I read in one of them, I came across one of those New Yorker constructions that we've discussed before but that still makes me want to scream. Unfortunately, I didn't mark the article, page, and issue, and now I can't find it again to share the pain. ...

In this case, to begin with, the sentence was nearly as long as a paragraph. And it was one of those that went, "'[Quotation,]' name, [string of at least three long identifiers], said.'

::)

If I can locate the offensive sentence, I'll share it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1382 on: March 30, 2016, 09:43:10 pm »
I'm a bit annoyed with myself right now. As usual I have three issues going at once. In something I read in one of them, I came across one of those New Yorker constructions that we've discussed before but that still makes me want to scream. Unfortunately, I didn't mark the article, page, and issue, and now I can't find it again to share the pain. ...

In this case, to begin with, the sentence was nearly as long as a paragraph. And it was one of those that went, "'[Quotation,]' name, [string of at least three long identifiers], said.'

::)

If I can locate the offensive sentence, I'll share it.

Please do!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1383 on: April 06, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
I'm going to skip the fashion-related articles in the March 21 issue. However, I heartily recommend the article in that issue about Kate del Castillo, the telenovela actress who took Sean Penn along with her to visit El Chapo. That one is a humdinger.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1384 on: April 07, 2016, 08:35:59 pm »
In his movie review (April 4), Anthony Lane describes Batman and Superman as "bulging in all the right places."  :laugh:

Would you like to be more specific, Anthony?  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1385 on: April 08, 2016, 08:59:14 am »
:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1386 on: April 12, 2016, 01:36:10 pm »
I wonder whether the Manor House Motel still exists in Aurora, Colorado (Gay Talese, April 11 issue)? Probably not. I haven't finished the article, so maybe Talese has something to say about that. Maybe Front Ranger could do some sleuthing to find the place, or where it was located.  ;D

I am enjoying this article immensely, though I can image Mr. Shawn would have never published it.  :laugh:

And one sentence in particular should resonate with Brokies: "More men than Foos could count urinated in the sink."  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1387 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:08 pm »
I haven't read that article but I have read articles in the past by Gay Talese and they were a little shocking to my Midwest sensibilities. I checked on the Manor House Motel. There is a groupon for it and a yelp page but other links indicate it is closed. It also has a Facebook page. 

I know we often carp about grammatical errors in the New Yorker. Today I was reading Jet Set Magazine about an exclusive luxury resort hotel in Colorado, and I was literally turning my eyes away in revulsion and making horrible faces. See what you think.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1388 on: April 12, 2016, 08:18:05 pm »
I wonder whether the Manor House Motel still exists in Aurora, Colorado (Gay Talese, April 11 issue)? Probably not. I haven't finished the article, so maybe Talese has something to say about that. Maybe Front Ranger could do some sleuthing to find the place, or where it was located.  ;D

I am enjoying this article immensely, though I can image Mr. Shawn would have never published it.  :laugh:

And one sentence in particular should resonate with Brokies: "More men than Foos could count urinated in the sink."  :laugh:

I haven't read this. I excused myself from reading it because Talese made some allegedly sexist/racist comments at some recent event (among other things, he said he didn't find any women writers "inspirational" except Mary McCarthy, though he later tried to clarify) and, although I tend to be a teensy bit skeptical about the outcry in those situations, I welcome any opportunity to pare down my reading list. And this article didn't interest me that much intrinsically, anyway.

But Talese has been slammed for it ethically: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/04/gay_talese_s_unethical_new_yorker_article_on_gerald_foos.html

It's been a rough week for the New Yorker. Meanwhile, Calvin Trillin has been slammed on the internet for what's being called a racist poem. https://www.google.com/search?q=calvin+trillin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=calvin+trillin+poem&tbm=nws

I hesitate to reveal my own possible racism, but I didn't think Trillin's poem -- while not especially entertaining and understandably mildly annoying -- was really THAT offensive. But maybe that's easy for me to say as a privileged non-Asian person.

All I know is, you have to be careful these days.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1389 on: April 12, 2016, 08:20:14 pm »
I haven't read that article but I have read articles in the past by Gay Talese and they were a little shocking to my Midwest sensibilities. I checked on the Manor House Motel. There is a groupon for it and a yelp page but other links indicate it is closed. It also has a Facebook page.  

I know we often carp about grammatical errors in the New Yorker. Today I was reading Jet Set Magazine about an exclusive luxury resort hotel in Colorado, and I was literally turning my eyes away in revulsion and making horrible faces. See what you think.

What's the grammatical thing? I haven't read the article about the resort. Though if Kevin Costner is staying there, I'd be tempted to check in.

UPDATE; OK, so I skimmed the article and see why you were unable to offer a single example of its egregiousness. It reads like something written by someone for whom English is not a first language (apologies to Chrissi and others who are FAR more adept at English than this author) and also did not receive the benefit of an editor. And most irksome of all, it looks like the kind of publication that would pay decently. Pitch them, Lee!