Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1947395 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2140 on: July 19, 2019, 01:49:45 pm »
OMG I LOVE this! "Dissent by Doily" in the July 22 "Talk of the Town"! What's not to love about the Tiny Pricks Project, stitching Trumpisms on napkins, handkerchiefs, and other cloth items?  :laugh:

I love the idea of "I AM A VERY STABLE GENIUS" on a seat cushion!  :laugh:

Somebody should do a sampler.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2141 on: August 01, 2019, 12:58:22 pm »
The new issue -- the one with the blonde woman in sunglasses eating an ice-cream cone whose scoops exactly echo one color each of the colors in the rest of the picture -- is full of pieces that look at least pretty good. Either good subject matter or pretty reliable writers, as well as graphic novelist Chris Ware. It's a two-week issue, so maybe it's more prestigious to get published in and they can draw bigger names.

P.S. When I opened this thread I saw Aloysius J. Gleek had posted a story about how the New Yorker might be the "next" magazine to fold. I panicked for a second until I scrolled up and noticed I had accidentally hit the first page, and AJG's post was dated 2000.  :laugh:  Whew ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2142 on: August 01, 2019, 01:06:48 pm »
The new issue -- the one with the blonde woman in sunglasses eating an ice-cream cone whose scoops exactly echo one color each of the colors in the rest of the picture -- is full of pieces that look at least pretty good. Either good subject matter or pretty reliable writers, as well as graphic novelist Chris Ware. It's a two-week issue, so maybe it's more prestigious to get published in and they can draw bigger names.

What's the date on that one?  ??? I just got July 29, which has two hikers on the cover.

But, OMG, I'm in love with Jill Lepore. In every issue with an article by her, I go directly to it.  I enjoyed her article on Herman Melville (actually makes me want to read some of him--well, maybe). She quotes a  Melville biographer who wrote that Melville "was experiencing sexual deprivation" because his wife was pregnant when he was writing his novel, Pierre.

Lepore's comment? "Holy smokes."  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2143 on: August 01, 2019, 04:05:53 pm »
What's the date on that one?  ??? I just got July 29, which has two hikers on the cover.

Aug. 5 and 12 (double issue, though the same size as always).

But, OMG, I'm in love with Jill Lepore. In every issue with an article by her, I go directly to it.

Did you like the one about her friend who died? I skipped most of it, but I saw other people praising it so I'm considering going back.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2144 on: August 01, 2019, 08:39:46 pm »
Aug. 5 and 12 (double issue, though the same size as always).

That issue arrived in my mailbox today. So now I've gone from being so far ahead in my magazines that I had to take a book along to work to read at lunch to being way behind!  :laugh:

Did you like the one about her friend who died? I skipped most of it, but I saw other people praising it so I'm considering going back.

Yes, I liked it. I thought it was very touching. Plus, I found it fascinating to read about Lepore's background, trying to build an academic career while raising two small children.

Every time I read her, I tell myself I need to send her a fan letter, and every time I never do.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2145 on: August 02, 2019, 11:36:44 am »
That issue arrived in my mailbox today. So now I've gone from being so far ahead in my magazines that I had to take a book along to work to read at lunch to being way behind!  :laugh:

Yes, I liked it. I thought it was very touching. Plus, I found it fascinating to read about Lepore's background, trying to build an academic career while raising two small children.

Every time I read her, I tell myself I need to send her a fan letter, and every time I never do.  :-\

She published a book recently, which you could take her out to lunch next time you get ahead in your magazines!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2146 on: August 02, 2019, 03:04:42 pm »
There is a cartoon on p. 42 of the July 29 issue that, in my opinion, is quite pertinent to the discussion of the division of household labor--or lack thereof.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2147 on: August 02, 2019, 03:25:08 pm »
There is a cartoon on p. 42 of the July 29 issue that, in my opinion, is quite pertinent to the discussion of the division of household labor--or lack thereof.

Haha! I've been reading the Franken exposé and was just four pages away from the cartoon! Yes, that is an excellent illustration of the issue. I took a photo and emailed it to myself.

Thanks!  :D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:32:27 am by serious crayons »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2148 on: August 02, 2019, 11:59:01 pm »
I read the Franken article, and it just made me sad all over again at what politics in this country has become.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2149 on: August 08, 2019, 09:35:00 am »
"Devils Advocate" was a long and wild ride through the depraved world of Jeffrey Epstein, Alan Dershowitz, and a host of teenage girls. Hard to read but great reporting!
"chewing gum and duct tape"