Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922727 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2370 on: April 02, 2020, 12:19:00 pm »
In the same issue, I'm reading "Betting the Farm" by Sam Knight about Joseph Fiennes's twin brother who manages a great estate in England according to permaculture principles (although the word is not mentioned in the article). It's very interesting to me but I don't know if anyone else would find it interesting.

Articles in my interest area are starting to crop (pun intended) up a lot now. Who would think TNY would run an article about composting? But that is what "Letter from Seoul" is about in the March 9 issue. Also of interest in that issue are "Exodus" about the German expatriots in Los Angeles and "#Winning" (as Jeff mentioned) about how social media was used to elect Trump. I also learned a lot from "The Leveller" a review of the work of Thomas Piketty, the French economist.

I'm also re-reading "The Bristlecones Speak" by Alex Ross in the January 20 issue. That's another one that you wouldn't expect to see in TNY.

I liked "Betting the Farm" and "The Bristlecones Speak," but the Piketty piece bored me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2371 on: April 02, 2020, 10:05:31 pm »
I have now read every. Single. Article. in the March 23 issue, since it's the only one I brought with me to AZ. Go ahead, ask me a question about any article. I have practically memorized them!

I haven't consumed the March 23 issue, but once you get done with your New Yorkers do you have an internet connection that could get you to other publications -- the Atlantic, Slate, New York magazine, the NYT and WashPo, stuff like that ...?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2372 on: April 06, 2020, 11:48:31 am »
Yes, I've gone online and read some of the latest issue of TNY, and I actually read the fiction by George Saunders (I like his work). I read certain articles in the Atlantic, NYT and WashPo when there is a link to something I want to read.

Friend asked me the other day if I knew how scientists determined the date that the volcano at Santorini, Italy, erupted, and I was able to answer, "yes, by the tree rings of the bristlecone pines." I was very impressed at myself.  ;)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2373 on: April 11, 2020, 10:27:39 pm »
Peter Hessler's report on his life in China during the Covid-19 pandemic is very interesting.

He sure gets around. I read his article on his experience in China with the Peace Corps, and I knew he was in Cairo for the Arab Spring. I thought he settled on the Western Slope of Colorado, but now he's back teaching English in a Chinese university.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2374 on: April 13, 2020, 10:49:43 am »
I'm not caught up in my magazines, but this morning I finished the March 30 issue. In the Briefly Noted column, there is a book I want to keep track of an I hope eventually read. The title is Yellow Bird, and it's a work of nonfiction about a real-life amateur sleuth who solved a mystery on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation in North Dakota in 2012. Since I enjoy the novels of Craig Johnson, Margaret Coel, and Tony Hillerman, I think I would enjoy this real-life detective story. When I was a kid I loved to read true-crime books, too.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2375 on: April 15, 2020, 05:47:12 pm »
Woke up in the night with worry about the world situation, and read the article "Fractured Fairy Tale" about Meghan and Harry. It was mildly diverting.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2376 on: April 16, 2020, 10:09:01 am »
the article "Fractured Fairy Tale" about Meghan and Harry.

I haven't seen the article, but the headline takes me back about 50-55 years!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2377 on: April 16, 2020, 11:20:40 am »
I haven't seen the article, but the headline takes me back about 50-55 years!  :laugh:

I never did get around to adding Rocky and Bullwinkle to my DVD collection.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2378 on: April 19, 2020, 12:38:56 pm »
A couple of days ago I watched the recent movie The Lighthouse which was favorably reviewed in TNY. It was so creepy it gave me nightmares.

Two guys in a Godforesaken lonely place out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, there was attraction, but not in the Brokeback way. Ends badly, but not in the Brokeback way.

I honestly can't recommend it. If you like psychological thrillers, then maybe. It could also be termed a horror movie, in the sense that you are horrified that it was made into a movie.

And yes, wonderful Robert Pattinson is one of the two guys. But still...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2379 on: April 19, 2020, 02:28:02 pm »
I jumped ahead in my magazines to read "Fractured Fairy Tale," and I quite enjoyed it. I enjoyed the story of Augustus Frederick, duke of Sussex, as much as I joyed reading about Harry and Meghan.

I had an Aha Moment when Mead wrote that Queen Victoria had granted Augustus' wife the title Duchess of Inverness. That event was a plot point in one episode of Series I of Victoria, which ran on PBS. In the show, for a reason I can't remember, the queen awarded her the title so that she could be presented at Court. It probably had something to do with the queen's wedding to Prince Albert.