Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920917 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2390 on: May 02, 2020, 01:55:54 pm »
This came up during a zoom call with my colleagues.  We psychiatric folk are trying to support our fellow medical workers, because the trauma has been extreme.  We sometimes have several deaths a day and it takes a toll on people.  We lost our first hospital employee and that hit hard.

We have social workers embedded in the ICU teams.  No one is taking any time off, because we're still in a surge.  I'm working directly with positive patients and it's exhausting at times.  And I have to support my staff as well who are on the front lines.  I fear this thing will be with us in some shape or form for quite a while.

I can't even imagine the toll this is taking on our health care professionals.  Sending you all hugs and love!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2391 on: May 07, 2020, 11:53:15 am »
Very good article about the origins of the new coronavirus:

"The Warnings" by David Quammen
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/11/why-werent-we-ready-for-the-coronavirus

Talk about heroes. Ali Khan is a former CDC scientist, now with the National Center for Zoonotic, Vector-borne, and Enteric Diseases and dean of the College of Public Health at the University of Nebraska in Omaha. He began by studying Ebola in Zaire and was instrumental in stopping SARS before it became a pandemic.

The last part covers the origins of the new virus in Wuhan. Will it put the kibosh on all these conspiracay theories? It did for me.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2392 on: May 07, 2020, 01:30:13 pm »
On a perhaps cheerier note, Naomi Fry's article about Zoom (April 27) made me laugh so hard I couldn't stop.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2393 on: May 08, 2020, 09:24:05 am »
Will it put the kibosh on all these conspiracy theories? It did for me.

So wait, you're saying it's not a conspiracy among Bill Gates, Anthony Fauci and George Soros to destroy the American economy to keep Trump from getting re-elected?!*

Thank God, at least vitamin D keeps you from getting it!*

:laugh: :laugh:

*Things people told me in all sincerity they actually believe.

It's so funny -- I have never heard anyone even mention George Soros who wasn't a far-right-winger. I would never have heard of him if it weren't for right wingers! I still don't even know what country he's from or precisely what he's done to become liberals' beloved leader.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2394 on: May 08, 2020, 11:28:46 am »
So wait, you're saying it's not a conspiracy among Bill Gates, Anthony Fauci and George Soros to destroy the American economy to keep Trump from getting re-elected?!*

Actually it's a conspiracy among the Great Orange Satan and his minions to overthrow the Constitution so he can become another Vladimir Putin and hold onto power for life.

Thank God, at least vitamin D keeps you from getting it!

I love the smell of Clorox in the morning.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2395 on: May 09, 2020, 09:59:21 am »
Actually it's a conspiracy among the Great Orange Satan and his minions to overthrow the Constitution so he can become another Vladimir Putin and hold onto power for life.

His staff cooked up the virus recipe in a secret lab in Trump tower in Moscow. Which "supposedly" was never actually built. Yeah right, that's what they want you to believe. From there they transported the deadly virus to China.

The Trump Administration keeps pretending the virus isn't scary -- no masks, handshakes, standing close together -- to encourage people to spread COVID. It's why Trump recommended treating it with chloroquine or injecting Lysol, figuring that would take out at least some of the people who don't get it. COVID stands for Covert Operation Very Intelligent, Duh.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2396 on: May 09, 2020, 11:06:46 am »
His staff cooked up the virus recipe in a secret lab in Trump tower in Moscow. Which "supposedly" was never actually built. Yeah right, that's what they want you to believe. From there they transported the deadly virus to China.

The Trump Administration keeps pretending the virus isn't scary -- no masks, handshakes, standing close together -- to encourage people to spread COVID. It's why Trump recommended treating it with chloroquine or injecting Lysol, figuring that would take out at least some of the people who don't get it. COVID stands for Covert Operation Very Intelligent, Duh.

Now that some members of the White House staff have tested positive for Covid-19, I think Trump should set a good example for the nation by having a nice drink of Clorox and Lysol on live TV.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2397 on: May 09, 2020, 11:08:07 am »
Now that some members of the White House staff have tested positive for Covid-19, I think Trump should set a good example for the nation by having a nice drink of Clorox and Lysol on live TV.

I'd also like to see him shove a flashlight up his ass.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2398 on: May 09, 2020, 02:32:00 pm »

:laugh: :laugh:

I'd also like to see him shove a flashlight up his ass.

Wait, was that another one of his treatment recommendations?

Having spent two Saturday afternoons (not today, thankfully) with people who believe every crazy thing Trump says -- in fact, they believe things even crazier than what Trump says -- i have to wonder how many of them had consumed or injected Lysol on his recommendation. None probably, since they were all still standing, but maybe the protest groups would have been even bigger if not for the Lysol chuggers.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2399 on: May 09, 2020, 02:34:39 pm »
Wait, was that another one of his treatment recommendations?

Yes, he talked about intense, or UV light killing the virus, and suggesting that could be used as a treatment.