Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922647 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2400 on: May 09, 2020, 03:54:58 pm »
Yes, he talked about intense, or UV light killing the virus, and suggesting that could be used as a treatment. 

Oh, I thought you were saying that in a purely "FU Trump" way. So I was joking!

That might explain why at least a couple of the shutdown protesters insisted that vitamin D can prevent it.

Hey, by that measure -- and since you certainly can't trust Dr. Fauci and his ilk to provide knowledgable advice -- just about anything could work!

Why not try eating live goldfish? Jumping up and down on broken glass? Plunging your head into a bowl of Liquid Plumber? Just keep trying random things, and then if you don't get COVID, you'll know they worked!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2401 on: May 10, 2020, 10:52:15 am »
That last bit was so funny! BTW, happy Mother's Day to all who have nurtured anything, even a little flower (shades of Le Petit Prince)!

Yesterday, I pulled off a 35-participant Zoom meeting with videos, Powerpoints, photos, presentations, Q&A, and a talk by Winona LaDuke. It's amazing how well Zoom works to pull that all together. The article you reference, Jeff, says that Zoom was started by a Chinese-born man and has grown fast to become a multi-billion-dollar company. This year, he made Zoom free for all elementary and secondary educational institutions. I really like Zoom's features, the chat, where you can soundlessly comment, the sharing of screens, and the segues from screen sharing to the "portrait gallery" of Hollywood Squares-type participant videos. I used to use Skype and it was intermittent with poor sound quality. I don't know what Zoom is doing differently, but it sure works well! 
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2402 on: May 10, 2020, 11:13:00 am »
I haven't read the article yet, but I feel like in a short time Zoom has become almost like Google and Uber -- a brand name that's quickly become a verb, so strongly connected with the action it describes that people might even use it when referring to other services. Like, I might google on Bing, and although Lyft is my rideshare go-to, I often say I'm ubering just because it's easier for others to understand.

Seems like Skype could someday become the MySpace to Zoom's Facebook. But too soon to tell, I guess ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2403 on: May 10, 2020, 12:49:22 pm »
Yeah, if you told somebody you were Lyfting, they might ask, Lyfting what, or, say something like, Be sure to Lyft with your knees, not your back.

Have you Zoomed anyone today? It's Mothers' Day. Did your son Zoom you?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2404 on: May 10, 2020, 01:45:12 pm »
Be sure to Lyft with your knees, not your back.

Have you Zoomed anyone today? It's Mothers' Day. Did your son Zoom you?

:laugh:

I've only zoomed a couple of times, always in groups. My son will no doubt call, but if he wants to add a visual element he'll probably FaceTime.

Haha! I just reached for my phone to remind myself whether it was called Facechat or what (I don't use that one very much, either) and there was a text from my son saying he'd FaceTime me later, once he finishes some project he's working on.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2405 on: May 10, 2020, 03:40:34 pm »
I learned a new word:  oysgezoomt, meaning tired of zooming.

As in:  "Ich bin azoy oysgezoomt", or, "I'm so tired or zooming!"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2406 on: May 11, 2020, 10:41:38 am »
I learned a new word:  oysgezoomt, meaning tired of zooming.

As in:  "Ich bin azoy oysgezoomt", or, "I'm so tired or zooming!"

Handy!  :D

I'm not oysgezoomt in terms of Zoom itself. But I'm oysgezoomt as an alternative to persönlich sprechen. Or rather, geredt in mentsh, גערעדט אין מענטש.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2407 on: May 15, 2020, 11:33:08 am »
These COVID-related articles get tiresome. I'm sorry but I wasn't able to finish the profile of Dr. Fauci. There have been some really good illustrations and photos.

How refreshing it was to read Bill Buford's article "Good Bread" about being a baker's apprentice in Lyon, France, in the April 13 issue. It's one that came while I was in Arizona. It's nice to have a couple of unread issues to fall back on because the latest issue was one I dispatched in less than an hour. Sometimes the articles and my mood just don't synch.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2408 on: May 15, 2020, 01:22:45 pm »
These COVID-related articles get tiresome. I'm sorry but I wasn't able to finish the profile of Dr. Fauci.

See, that one fascinated me--because I remember how important he was in fighting the AIDS epidemic. If anybody could get us through this current plague it would be him--if it weren't for the politicians. I thank God he's still with us.

Some of these articles, like the Buford, must have been in the pipeline for some time. With people dying by the thousands, who cares that he learned to bake bread in France?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2409 on: May 16, 2020, 12:58:47 pm »
See, that one fascinated me--because I remember how important he was in fighting the AIDS epidemic. If anybody could get us through this current plague it would be him--if it weren't for the politicians. I thank God he's still with us.

Unsurprisingly as I was less personally affected, I don't remember him from that. But similar thoughts were expressed by a guy I know on Nextdoor. com -- a gay man, really intelligent, one of the few sensible voices when the Nextdoor discussions get loony.

Have you heard that Fauci is considered kind of a heartthrob these days? Practically up there with Sam Elliott in the (very small) hot geezer club. And you probably heard (or saw) that SNL cast Brad Pitt to play him.

Some of these articles, like the Buford, must have been in the pipeline for some time. With people dying by the thousands, who cares that he learned to bake bread in France?[/font][/size]

I probably won't read it; I've left Buford books unfinished that were on subjects I'm more interested in. I don't know why; I've heard avid recommendations for them, and what I have read is well-written and mildly entertaining. But learning to bake fancy bread wouldn't interest me personally, virus or no.

However, a lot of people are making bread lately, so having the piece ready to run now is probably serendipitous.

It's interesting to think what articles they may still have in the pipeline but are holding for now. "The Benefits of Hugging a Total Stranger," for instance.