Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922575 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2510 on: August 27, 2020, 08:27:23 pm »
So, what's going on? In today's mail I received the issue cover dated for this coming Monday, Aug. 31. I have never received an issue dated Aug. 24, and the Aug. 17 issue was not a "double issue."   ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2511 on: August 28, 2020, 12:25:19 am »
Hmm, let me check. I got the Aug. 31 issue yesterday. I think I also got an issue the previous week, but in this case — possibly a first! — it looked so uninteresting I put it in recycling immediately. If I remember correctly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2512 on: August 28, 2020, 09:01:04 am »
While I'm thankful it doesn't happen too often, from time to time I do get a piece of mail way late and so chewed up it's in a plastic bag. It won't surprise me if that happens with my missing issue.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2513 on: September 09, 2020, 09:29:12 pm »
Those poor pangolins.  :( (Aug. 31)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2514 on: September 10, 2020, 01:17:01 pm »
I was thinking about reaching out to Customer Service to see about getting the August 24 issue, but I guess I'll just let it go. It seems a little late to do it now.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2515 on: September 14, 2020, 11:57:29 am »
I checked my account book. Last year I paid my subscription renewal in August. This year I haven't even got the notification, and September is half over.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2516 on: September 26, 2020, 05:48:55 pm »
My subscription is renewed automatically. Also, I had my mail held when I was on vacation. I have four issues to catch up on! But I had to read "Nature and Nurture" by Rebecca Mead in the August 24 issue. It seems like TNY has decided to run a nature related article in almost every issue. That's fine with me, but sometimes they are contrived.

This one is about gardening in England. It says that 8 out of 10 people in Britain have a private garden. Where I stayed in London there were no gardens or even a pot on a balcony. That statistic seems suspicious to me.

The article is about therapy through gardening. When you get your hands into soil, you begin to heal. Your thoughts on this?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2517 on: September 26, 2020, 09:49:39 pm »
My subscription is renewed automatically.

I'm seriously confused. I don't remember renewing for more than a year, but yesterday I noticed there is a date 27JAN22 on the mailing label of my issue. That kind of looks like an expiration date.  ???

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2518 on: September 27, 2020, 11:05:12 am »
My subscription is renewed automatically. Also, I had my mail held when I was on vacation. I have four issues to catch up on! But I had to read "Nature and Nurture" by Rebecca Mead in the August 24 issue. It seems like TNY has decided to run a nature related article in almost every issue. That's fine with me, but sometimes they are contrived.

This one is about gardening in England. It says that 8 out of 10 people in Britain have a private garden. Where I stayed in London there were no gardens or even a pot on a balcony. That statistic seems suspicious to me.

The article is about therapy through gardening. When you get your hands into soil, you begin to heal. Your thoughts on this?

As far as gardening goes, I think to each her own. It's not really my thing, but it is for a lot of people. I am really interested in nature/nurture, but it doesn't sound like Rebecca Mead wrote about the parts I find most interesting.

Rebecca Mead, who is from England, recently moved back to England. I think she said it's partly because of what's going on here.

Does she mean plunging your hands into soil, in and of itself, is literally healing? As I said, it's not my thing, but the idea isn't totally farfetched. We evolved from people who (long after the beginning of human history, of course, but still) tended gardens. I'd better read the Mead piece.

There are places in the South where people eat clay. Or they did -- I don't know if anybody still does. That seemed really bizarre until I read that clay contains a lot of nutrients. As I recall, anyway.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2519 on: September 27, 2020, 05:17:57 pm »
There are places in the South where people eat clay. Or they did -- I don't know if anybody still does. That seemed really bizarre until I read that clay contains a lot of nutrients. As I recall, anyway.

It is bizarre. Eating clay is a symptom of a medical condition called pica, which is caused by a vitamin deficiency.