Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921987 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2590 on: December 27, 2020, 08:44:49 pm »
Should that map say "Winslow" instead of "Winona"?

"I was standin' on a corner in Winona, Arizona"?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2591 on: December 28, 2020, 11:58:24 am »
Yes, they do. (I never read the whole book myself. Dave Cullen did recently, and raved about it.)

I haven't seen Dave Cullen's posts much lately so I went to his FB page, didn't find the Lolita reference but did catch up a bit on what up with him lately Apparently his book Parkland is doing well, and he wrote a well-received article about Gabby Giffords for Vanity Fair.

The last time I was on Route 66 was when I was taking my mother's ashes to be buried in Oklahoma City. No, wait: I travel a small part of it when I go to Payson, AZ, to friend EdelMar's winter house. It passes through Gallup, NM into Arizona, through Holbrook, Winslow, and westward to Flagstaff. Some of the old highway has been turned into almost a superhighway and has completely lost its character.

My then-husband and I drive around the Southwest once or twice, starting in Louisiana, through Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and possibly into California (though that might have been a different Phoenix-to-San Diego trip). So we traveled Route 66 and stayed in some of those motels with the '50s neon signs. Somewhere I probably have photos. I used to always take photos of vintage neon back then.

Oklahoma is, I think, one of only two or three states among the 48 contiguous that I've never been in!  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2592 on: December 28, 2020, 12:04:38 pm »

:laugh:

Winona is a cool old small river town in Minnesota, birthplace of Winona Ryder (who was named after the town, not the other way around  :laugh:).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2593 on: December 28, 2020, 06:31:14 pm »
Should that map say "Winslow" instead of "Winona"?

Winona is a cool old small river town in Minnesota, birthplace of Winona Ryder (who was named after the town, not the other way around  :laugh:).

I was standin' on a corner in Winona. Minnesota. ...

Doesn't exactly fit the meter, but it's close.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2594 on: December 28, 2020, 08:36:36 pm »
I was standin' on a corner in Winona. Minnesota. ...

Doesn't exactly fit the meter, but it's close.  ;D

Such a fine sight to see
It's Winona Ryder, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford,
slowin' down to take a look at me

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2595 on: December 29, 2020, 10:20:34 am »

This is starting to look like material for a "Shouts & Murmurs" column. Keep it up!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2596 on: December 29, 2020, 12:39:07 pm »
Well, now I'm six weeks behind.

I have the impression that this fall, there have been more articles per issue that I really want to read, and this is a part of why I've fallen so far behind.

Somehow I seem to have skipped over Nov. 16, and now I'm almost done with Nov. 23. I'm reading the (so far exciting) article on the clandestine movement to overthrow Kim Jong Un in North Korea.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2597 on: December 29, 2020, 01:05:23 pm »
I'm reading the (so far exciting) article on the clandestine movement to overthrow Kim Jong Un in North Korea.

Wow, I would dismiss that as a "duty article"! Very impressive, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I tend to dismiss most articles about other countries as duty, especially if they're about global politics as opposed to, say, a famous artist. Long ago I was so overwhelmed with reading that I had to cut out something, so I cut out all global politics stories. As a result, unfortunately, 9/11 took me entirely by surprise. Immediately afterward, I read everything I could to catch up to speed.

Since then, though, I've slipped a bit into my old ways.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2598 on: December 29, 2020, 06:37:29 pm »
Since then, though, I've slipped a bit into my old ways.  :-\

I have no idea when, if ever, I'm going to catch up. I still don't understand how I've fallen so far behind. I'm skipping the fiction, but then I almost never read that anyway.

I jumped ahead to read Adam Gopnik on the Golden Age of animation (Dec. 28, the Cartoon Issue) because it just happens that this Saturday, MeTV will begin running three hours of cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2599 on: December 29, 2020, 07:10:15 pm »
If I'm skipping the fiction, but then I almost never read that anyway.

Me neither. Although when I first subscribed in my 20s, that was the main thing I did read. (I attempted to write arty short stories back then.) Now I never read it unless the author is some recognizable name like George Saunders. If, when paging though it, it looks like it's mostly short paragraphs and dialogue, I might go to the beginning and give it up to 10 paragraphs to capture my attention. If the protagonist is referred to by his last name (although some protagonists are women, I've never seen one referred to by her last name), I almost immediately know it's not for me.