Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920796 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2640 on: January 24, 2021, 12:46:45 am »
You have remarkable discipline, Jeff.

Maybe not. I'm becoming picky. I've started to skip the movie and TV articles, and the Talk of the Town political pieces.

I just finished "The Skeleton Lake" (Dec. 14). I'm always up for a good historical mystery story, and that's a good one. I especially like the part about what DNA can tell ups about history.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2641 on: January 24, 2021, 11:31:26 am »
Maybe not. I'm becoming picky. I've started to skip the movie and TV articles, and the Talk of the Town political pieces.

I've been doing that for some time. I don't read movie or TV reviews unless I'm familiar with the shows. I kind of skim political Talk of the Town pieces, at most, depending on their authors and political events. I rarely read the cultural TotT pieces unless I recognize and like the byline. I glance at Shouts & Murmurs and can usually tell pretty quickly whether it's unusual and imaginative ... or more often, especially with frequent writers, a kind of formulaic tired humor.

I almost never read theater or art reviews because I'm unlikely to be familiar with -- or ever have a chance to see -- their subjects. But I often read book reviews, based on my familiarity with the books themselves or interest in the topic.

As for the rest, it's hit and miss depending on the topic and author. I miss a lot of good ones, though, I discover when I weed through the pile later. I pull those out for later reading and still rarely get to them.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2642 on: January 24, 2021, 11:58:42 am »

I just finished "The Skeleton Lake" (Dec. 14). I'm always up for a good historical mystery story, and that's a good one. I especially like the part about what DNA can tell ups about history.

Yes, that was a great article. So good, I read it twice. I've been in the Himalayas, so I was interested for that reason as well.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2643 on: January 24, 2021, 07:39:13 pm »
I've started checking the tables of contents in some of the issues I'm behind, and I'm surprised that some of them don't have much that looks interesting to me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2644 on: January 25, 2021, 12:37:51 pm »
I almost always find at least one thing that looks worth reading.

A really good issue might have four or five things.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2645 on: January 29, 2021, 04:54:23 pm »
:laugh:

Such a fine sight to see
It's Winona Ryder, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford,
slowin' down to take a look at me

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2646 on: January 29, 2021, 09:54:43 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2647 on: January 29, 2021, 10:45:26 pm »
I almost always find at least one thing that looks worth reading.

I'm about ready to give up on the Jan. 4 & 11 issue. I'd jumped ahead and read Adam Gopnik on keeping the Republic, Lawrence Wright on "The Plague Year," and Vinson Cunningham on Thomas Jefferson's abridgment of the Bible. I started the article on newsletters, but it's not holding my interest.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2648 on: February 02, 2021, 03:04:50 pm »
I finished Rachel Kushner's article about her young life in San Francisco. I found it sad. I was interested in what she wrote about the hustlers on Polk Street because something like 30-35 years ago I read a story about the young hustlers on Polk Street and never forgot it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2649 on: February 02, 2021, 03:06:57 pm »
I finished Rachel Kushner's article about her young life in San Francisco. I found it sad.

You have more patience than I did. What did you find sad about it? The fact that she wrote about people who were down and out and/or had addictions and/or other problems?