Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1034501 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2750 on: May 03, 2021, 10:55:22 pm »
Buttons are extremely easy to sew on, though kind of a bother and I never seem to get around to it. They're practically the way you'd think from looking at them. There are a couple of other little tricks but a YouTube tutorial or even a 10-step written list would make you an expert in no time.

Oh, I manage to sew on buttons. I've done shirts and trousers and even a sport coat. The job just doesn't turn out very nice. You probably wouldn't believe the bird's nest of thread I end up with on the "back side." It holds, but it isn't very neat.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2751 on: May 04, 2021, 09:39:23 am »
Oh, I manage to sew on buttons. I've done shirts and trousers and even a sport coat. The job just doesn't turn out very nice. You probably wouldn't believe the bird's nest of thread I end up with on the "back side." It holds, but it isn't very neat.

Well, at least it's on the back. But that's where a YouTube tutorial might help.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2752 on: May 06, 2021, 01:28:57 pm »
I managed to push through the article on North Korean hacking (April 26 and May 3), but at least I came across one phrase that made me very happy. The author discusses an event known as the International Collegiate Programming Contest, which he then describes as "a festival of unsurpassed and joyful nerdery."

"Nerdery?"

:D

(I also recommend the Talk of the Town piece about weed psychics in Maine.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.