Author Topic: On the Beach  (Read 2437 times)

Offline brokeback-fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
On the Beach
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:19:19 pm »
As I live my life, through the years, certain things bring back memories like watching the Golden Globes tonight and watching our friend Heath win that beautiful award and it made me think of watching Brokeback Mountain for the nth time and seeing this great actor in the making and thinking that the Oscar is definitely his.  When I saw Jake tonight, it made me sad because I remembered he and Heath being so funny introducing Brokeback Mountain at the SAG awards and just thinking what wonderful friends they must be.  I know he misses him terribly.  But I digress…

I was watching a really good movie today called On the Beach with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins, and Fred Astaire.  This movie was made in 1956 and is very relevant today.  It is not an epic movie, but it has a message that is hauntingly prophetic, especially the banner at the end.  But I digress…again.

I read a very good article in the Washington Post today about Cary Grant and how he realized that the physical part of acting was equally as important as the acting itself.  Here is the link (you have to log in to see the article – I hate that! Stupid):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/09/AR2009010901212.html

Well, there was a scene in On the Beach that has Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner standing on the train platform and he is trying to explain to her why he cannot love her and the scene is amazing! Gregory Peck has such a hard time saying the words as if he wanted to explode because he is holding it all in and the way he pulls his lips back and looks up and to the side like he wants to just toss the words right out of his mouth, but can’t.  You would think you were seeing Ennis up there trying to talk to her! I was in shock.  Heath Ledger was a great actor in the making.  The physicality of his acting is partly what makes us come to this forum, even today.  It evokes so much of the story that we have questions about what he is trying to say or at least interpret it that way.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: On the Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »
I am amazed by Gregory Peck too. He had a wonderfully resonant voice like Heath/Ennis'. And Ava Gardner was smoking hot! I will have to secure a copy of that film!!

At first I thought you were talking about the Leonardo DiCaprio film of the same name. That was a creepy film, but it did have Tilda Swinton in a very complex role!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:28:21 pm »
Hey there, brokeback-fan!

Thanks for posting about this!  It was timely.

I was battling insomnia last night (woke at 2 am for no good reason   ::) ???) and your post inspired me to see what Netflix had in the way of Cary Grant films.  I ended up watching Holiday with him and Katharine Hepburn before going back to sleep.

Now, checking again, I see that Netflix direct streaming has both the original On the Beach and the 2000 remake.  I'll try to watch them soon.  I think the only Gregory Peck film I've seen so far is To Kill A Mockingbird.

Lynne
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:41:25 am »
Brokeback-fan, mind if I move this thread into The Culture Tent or Chez Tremblay? It might get more visibility there. Let me know.

Offline brokeback-fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:14:46 pm »
Sure! If you would like to move the post, that is fine with me. 

I never rent the space out in my head.  It is totally free.  Free flow! Be creative. 

I know.  I am weird.  But then again, maybe not... ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:30:19 pm »
On the Beach is now in its new home in The Culture Tent. Let's continue discussing this classic film!

That Leonardo diCaprio movie I was talking about in an earlier post was actually called The Beach. Nobody I've discussed it with lately seems to have liked it. But I did very much, as well as the director's latest effort, Slumdog Millionaire.