Author Topic: BBM and Lonesome Dove  (Read 60562 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: BBM and Lonesome Dove
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »
You, retropian, are a dream.  Thank you for that.  This theory applies, I think, to Kiss of the Spider Woman, where the two main characters complement each other, and, somehow, become each other.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:32:40 pm »
I watched the series on DVD not too long after BBM came out. I remember L.M. talking about how he had wished he's written BBM and questioning himself as to why he didn't think of it 1st and he mentioned Gus and Woodrow. SO, I watched it, and like it too. One of the DVD extras was an interview with L.M. circa 1989 when the series was made. He talked about how in literature a story involving a pair of friends is almost invariably patterned after "Don Quixote". I posted on IMDB ages ago about this. His point was the pair exchange qualities or character traits by the end. Frequently one character is a "dreamer" and the other a "realist", but in the end the realist adopts the dream of his friend as his own. That interview really made me think of Jack and Ennis and what L.M and D.O. were thinking when writing the screenplay. Did Jack and Ennis exchange character traits? Did Jack become the realist at the lake scene and finally give up on his dream of the sweet life with Ennis? Did Ennis after the lake scene, after the scene with Cassie "girls don't fall in love with fun". become open to following that dream?

You, retropian, are a dream.  Thank you for that.  This theory applies, I think, to Kiss of the Spider Woman, where the two main characters complement each other, and, somehow, become each other.

I would totally love to echo Paul's sentiment here.  Retropian!!!  What a wonderful observation about switching places by the end (at least to a certain extent)!!

This idea certainly fits in beautifully with the yin and yang metaphor that so frequently comes up with Ennis and Jack.  I like the idea that Jack and Ennis each have a touch of the other's personality traits within themselves all along.  But, I do truly like the idea that they both push each other to points where they may largely switch positions.

It does seem that Jack's loss of his dream-like optimism ("I did once") causes Ennis to panic enough to want to change and possibly to do something to fix the unbearable conditions of their relationship ("I can't stand this anymore..." combined with our knowledge that Ennis sends the last postcard). Of course, Jack's death itself seems to be a major catalyst for change for Ennis above and beyond any change that might have been happening as a result of the argument with Jack and Ennis's own realizations.  In either case, the tragedy is that the impetus to change came too late.  The Ennis that we see in the final scenes does seem quite different from the Ennis earlier in the film.  We talk about ways that Jack taught Ennis to express love or affection (the caress of the cheek... that Ennis later re-enacts with Jenny by caressing her cheek at Thanksgiving)... and Ennis's caution and more pragmatic outlook certainly had impacts on Jack as well.  So the activity of exchange can be seen occuring, perhaps, bit by bit throughout the film.

You know, I just thought of a non-literary BBM/LD connection.  Linda Cardellini (Cassie in BBM) played Clara in the Comanche Moon mini-series.  Comanche Moon is part of the LD series, and is the direct pre-quel to Lonesome Dove and the sequel to Dean Man's Walk, the book where Call and Gus first meet. 

Marie

Heya Marie!  Could you explain more about the series of books?  Should readers read these in a particular order?  How big is the full series?

Hi A and everybody! I can't join the book club right now, unfortunately, because I have too much work-related Required Reading at the moment. But I wanted to tell A what a good idea this is. I saw the miniseries when it was on. I tried reading the book afterward, but experienced that unfortunate "saw it before I read it" syndrome and just wanted to skip ahead to the good parts, so I gave up (same thing happened to me with Sophie's Choice). Anyway, so I can't participate much, but I'd love to drop in now and then to see the discussion. Have fun!

Thanks K!  I don't really think this will end up being a systematic book club.  Somehow I don't think we'll all start at page 1 together and discuss it in such a disciplined way.  Since I'm already half way through, I intend to just keep going.  And, I certainly hope others start reading it and join in.  But, I'd think this thread could be a place for people to come to make observations about LD and BBM whenever they feel like.  Since you've seen it and read part of it, I'm sure you can jump in here too if you feel like it.

Going forward we should probably mark posts as **Spoilers** when we discuss plot elements of LD that other folks might not have encountered yet.  This seems like a good idea since people will be reading at different paces.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

retropian

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:10 pm »
Quote from: southendmd on Today at 07:47:56 PM
You, retropian, are a dream.  Thank you for that.  This theory applies, I think, to Kiss of the Spider Woman, where the two main characters complement each other, and, somehow, become each other.

I would totally love to echo Paul's sentiment here.  Retropian!!!  What a wonderful observation about switching places by the end (at least to a certain extent)!!

Aww. Thanks! You're all sweet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:28 am »
I watched the series on DVD not too long after BBM came out. I remember L.M. talking about how he had wished he's written BBM and questioning himself as to why he didn't think of it 1st and he mentioned Gus and Woodrow. SO, I watched it, and like it too. One of the DVD extras was an interview with L.M. circa 1989 when the series was made. He talked about how in literature a story involving a pair of friends is almost invariably patterned after "Don Quixote". I posted on IMDB ages ago about this. His point was the pair exchange qualities or character traits by the end. Frequently one character is a "dreamer" and the other a "realist", but in the end the realist adopts the dream of his friend as his own. That interview really made me think of Jack and Ennis and what L.M and D.O. were thinking when writing the screenplay. Did Jack and Ennis exchange character traits? Did Jack become the realist at the lake scene and finally give up on his dream of the sweet life with Ennis? Did Ennis after the lake scene, after the scene with Cassie "girls don't fall in love with fun". become open to following that dream?

Where did you post that, may I ask? I haven't seen it and I would love to read about it! One thing I really love about the story is the way Ennis adopted Jack's attributes (Lying "spread eagled" on the bed) while Jack adopted Ennis' attributes {trembling like a run-out horse, sleeping on his feet like a horse} and I didn't know these were well-established literary traditions!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 12:15:59 am »
I was just reading a little bit more of LD and had a really obvious thought... but, I think interesting nonetheless.  I think this observation is general-knowledge enough to not really warrant a spoiler warning.

Both BBM and LD, thematically, dwell a lot on the idea of moving between Texas and Wyoming/Montana.   

Of course, as far as I am in LD, I don't even know if they'll actually make it to Montana... but the idea is there.  In a general sense, both Jack and the cattle drive follow the same route.  And, I love that Lightning Flat is on the Montana border.

p.s. Lee, let us know when you start readin' Friend!  :D ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 12:35:31 am »
Okay, I'm about to start right now!!

And, you're definitely right about Lightning Flat!

Here's proof! In this picture, I'm standing right across the "street" from the "twist House"!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 12:40:13 am »
Okay, I'm about to start right now!!

And, you're definitely right about Lightning Flat!

Here's proof! In this picture, I'm standing right across the "street" from the "twist House"!!

:D :D :D

retropian

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 02:22:19 am »
Where did you post that, may I ask? I haven't seen it and I would love to read about it! One thing I really love about the story is the way Ennis adopted Jack's attributes (Lying "spread eagled" on the bed) while Jack adopted Ennis' attributes {trembling like a run-out horse, sleeping on his feet like a horse} and I didn't know these were well-established literary traditions!

I watch the Lonesome Dove DVD in 2006 or 2007. One of the special features was an interview with Larry M. He and the interviewer discuss western literary tradition and specifically how virtually all novels about the relationship between friends are patterned after "Don Quixote". I posted about it on IMDB at the time because I thought it was very interesting given Larry M's connection to BBM.

And what do ya know! My original post on IMDB is archived here on Bettermost!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10759.msg209449/topicseen.html#msg209449

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 03:02:13 am »

Wow!

After three years, there's still so much to learn about the story and movie. Thanks retropian for that observation.

I'd like to think that Ennis was more open to following that dream after the final lake scene. The movie was certainly more optimistic about that with Ennis declaring 'I can't stand this anymore Jack' at their final meeting.

I'm going to have a look at the bookstore and see if I can find Lonesome Dove. If not, I'll order it on Amazon.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 10:46:33 am »

Oh wow. I second what others have said about this post. It's excellent, retropian.

The concept is also knew to me, and it definitely fits Ennis and Jack (at least in parts). It also goes well with the yin-yang concept, as amanda already noticed.

I think a (tiny) bit of a dreamer has always been in Ennis: he wanted to be a sophomore because the thought the word carried a kind of distinction (that's sweet, isn't it? And being a foreign spekaer, I agree with him. The word was new to me and I also thought it sounds kind of elegant, or maybe noble); he was saving for his own spread, even if it was only 10 bucks in a tabacco can; he asked Jack "and what if we have to work again for Aguirre?" when the sheep were mixed, etc.

Will add more (about Jack) later. Gotta go now.