Author Topic: "It ain't right."  (Read 27070 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "It ain't right."
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2006, 09:52:54 pm »
I came across this thread coincidentally. I have read through all of your comments and you are cracking me up.  Here are two that I didn’t see on this thread …

Jack’s feigned bull ride … did you notice he has the whisky bottle open? Then he starts flailing his arms … the bottle is closed. Then he falls … the bottle is open again and he takes a drink. Hmmmm ….  :-\

Another thing …. the timeline when Jack meets Lureen and has the baby. It is intended to be Jack’s baby … no doubt. But, if they met in July 1966 …. they get married (IMO, their marriage was a “shot gun”) …. the baby is born. The postcard to Ennis says September 1967. Jack gets there … his baby is 8 months old? It would make more sense if the baby was 8 weeks old … especially considering Jack’s expression when he walks out of the bedroom.  ;)

PS I think it is so funny that you have mentioned the three things that drive me most nuts … the log, Ennis’ “funny winter dance” and Bobby.  ;D
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2006, 02:21:29 am »
OMG... I saw log the Jack "made disappear"!   Do you think maybe he was doin' magic tricks for Aguirre?      ??? 

LOL
Rayn

PS: Yes, I watched the movie for the 7th time....     & yeah, it still got me good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:29:28 am by Rayn »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2006, 04:34:15 am »
PS: Yes, I watched the movie for the 7th time....     & yeah, it still got me good.

good, he?
I watched the dvd for the first time last week, wondering if it would get me like it did in the theatre. and yeah, crying, feeling very sad all over again.

ps I have always asked myself where those rain coats came from they wore when the sheep were counted at the end of the summer. Didn't look like that fitted in the paper bag ennis was carrying when he came to signal.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2006, 02:22:40 pm »
ps I have always asked myself where those rain coats came from they wore when the sheep were counted at the end of the summer. Didn't look like that fitted in the paper bag ennis was carrying when he came to signal.
[/quote]

That's true.  I assume all he had in the end of summer was a pair of pants in that bag.  Maybe they belong to Jack and he lend it to Ennis.  I only see them wearing them one other time in the "No more beans" scene.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2006, 07:49:35 pm »
Is it just me ... or does it seem like Alma, Jr. is very close to Jenny's age when you first see them through the 4th of July ... and then, when Ennis goes into the grocery store ... Jenny looks like she's the same age as she was before, but Alma, Jr. looks like she is two years older than Jenny??
Diane

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2006, 03:00:10 am »
So this is where all the nit-pickers hang out!  Hi, guys!

I posted this on IMDB, but no-one much noticed, so let's see what true Brokies might have to say:

Didn't you think it odd that there were no Bettermost Beans on any of the shelves in Monroe's grocery store? Given the fact that they featured prominently in the earlier mountain scenes, it would have been appropriate to have placed a stack of them somewhere in the background in that scene. I think this was definitely a missed opportunity on the part of the set-decoration crew. What do you think?
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2006, 05:23:22 pm »
So this is where all the nit-pickers hang out!  Hi, guys!

I posted this on IMDB, but no-one much noticed, so let's see what true Brokies might have to say:

Didn't you think it odd that there were no Bettermost Beans on any of the shelves in Monroe's grocery store? Given the fact that they featured prominently in the earlier mountain scenes, it would have been appropriate to have placed a stack of them somewhere in the background in that scene. I think this was definitely a missed opportunity on the part of the set-decoration crew. What do you think?

:o :o :o
Wow!  I'm glad you brought this up!  I ALWAYS try to scan the shelves in the grocery store to see if I can find beans... and not even just BetterMost beans.  I feel like I'd need a slow motion scanner to look really carefully.  It seems like some of the cans that are visible might possibly be bean cans.  But, I can't really tell. 

My favorite background detail in the grocery store is the Jolly Green Giant sign that we see behind Monroe when he arrives to help with the broken peanuts.  Somehow both the Jolly Green Giant and Monroe work to make each other seem even more ridiculous... if that makes any sense.
 ::)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2006, 06:38:00 pm »
My favorite background detail in the grocery store is the Jolly Green Giant sign that we see behind Monroe when he arrives to help with the broken peanuts.  Somehow both the Jolly Green Giant and Monroe work to make each other seem even more ridiculous... if that makes any sense.

As long as you don't think the Jolly Green Giant has anything to do with a part of Monroe's anatomy. (You know ... Monroe is "green" with envy ... but he  better not be jolly because he's giant ... if you know what I mean!!  :laugh:
Diane

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2006, 03:35:41 pm »
Personally, I'm not at all angry. And in fact, 2robots4u, that has been said before -- plenty of times!

People deal with the movie in different ways. The common denominator is that we all came here because we were interested enough in the movie to spend time and energy discussing it. Some like interpreting the symbols, some like analyzing the characters' motivations, some like figuring out the ambiguous parts, some like writing fan fic, some like drooling over Jake and Heath, some like discussing their own "real life" issues, some like forming a community with other Brokies, some like "picking out EVERY little inconsistency in the time line and story line," some like "enjoying the movie for the movie's sake"  ... and so on.

Many people -- myself, for instance -- do more than one of the above. To each his/her own!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:11:41 pm by latjoreme »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2006, 05:07:30 pm »
Personally, I'm not at all angry. And in fact, 2robots4u, that has been said before -- plenty of times!

People deal with the movie in different ways. The common denominator is that we all came here because we were interested enough in the movie to spend time and energy discussing it. Some like interpreting the symbols, some like analyzing the characters' motivations, some like posing thoughts about the ambiguous parts, some like writing fan fic, some like drooling over Jake and Heath, some like discussing their own issues in "real life," some like forming a community with other Brokies, some like "picking out EVERY little inconsistency in the time line and story line," some like "enjoying the movie for the movie's sake"  ... and so on.

Many people -- myself, for instance -- do more than one of the above. To each his/her own!

Ditto.
Diane