Author Topic: "It ain't right."  (Read 26761 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "It ain't right."
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2006, 08:32:09 pm »
All of the "secondary" relationships are given much more time and attention in the film.  I don't even think Cassie is mentioned by name in the story.  I think the screenplay writers thought of this as a way to flush out and expand the story for a movie-length telling of the story... but they also could have done this with more analysis of how Jack and Ennis's relationship itself grew.  Honestly, we don't have much of a clue as to how they interacted with each other in later camping scenes (other than silent-scenic shots, brief arguments, abrupt cuts, etc.).  I've complained about this a lot, but it's bothering me more and more as time goes on.
 >:(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2006, 08:37:02 pm »
All of the "secondary" relationships are given much more time and attention in the film.  I don't even think Cassie is mentioned by name in the story.  I think the screenplay writers thought of this as a way to flush out and expand the story for a movie-length telling of the story... but they also could have done this with more analysis of how Jack and Ennis's relationship itself grew.  Honestly, we don't have much of a clue as to how they interacted with each other in later camping scenes (other than silent-scenic shots, brief arguments, abrupt cuts, etc.).  I've complained about this a lot, but it's bothering me more and more as time goes on.
Except we know from everything that was shown the spark was alwasys there.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2006, 08:42:30 pm »

True enough.  I would love to see a couple more scenes of Jack and Ennis or extend the existing scene more.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2006, 08:49:22 pm »
True enough.  I would love to see a couple more scenes of Jack and Ennis or extend the existing scene more.
I agree, The 2003 screen play shows a lot more of the later trips. I always used to wish that we could see their last moments together, between"I can't stand..." and Ennis driving away. But these were their private moments and we know without even seeing Jack watch Ennis drive away that he stay as long as he needed to to comfort Ennis, and make sure he was ok.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2006, 08:52:12 pm »
I agree, The 2003 screen play shows a lot more of the later trips. I always used to wish that we could see their last moments together, between"I can't stand..." and Ennis driving away. But these were their private moments and we know without even seeing Jack watch Ennis drive away that he stay as long as he needed to to comfort Ennis, and make sure he was ok.

Where can I find the 2003 version of this screenplay!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2006, 09:04:47 pm »
Where can I find the 2003 version of this screenplay!
I got one from Amazon. All it realy shows are more of the montages like before the next to last trip shown, horse back rideing, cooking around the fire, the dialogue about lassoing a coyote, maybe covering three more trips. NOFNIT or SNIT.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2006, 07:24:36 pm »
I think I just spotted a tiny goof in the "happy tussle" scene. As they run toward the left of the screen, there's a horse standing there in the campsite. The horse leans forward to grab a bite of leaves or something, and I think I see a shadowy figure behind the bushes pull the horse back. So Ennis and Jack were being watched by someone at much closer range than Aguirre!

Has anyone else seen this? I was watching it on YouTube, with a small screen, so maybe I shouldn't trust my eyes. And imdb doesn't have it on its list of the movie's goofs (though I learned about a few on that list that I hadn't noticed and probably never otherwise would have!).

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2006, 08:03:38 pm »
I think I just spotted a tiny goof in the "happy tussle" scene. As they run toward the left of the screen, there's a horse standing there in the campsite. The horse leans forward to grab a bite of leaves or something, and I think I see a shadowy figure behind the bushes pull the horse back. So Ennis and Jack were being watched by someone at much closer range than Aguirre!

Hey there Bud,

Nope I haven't noticed the "shadowy figure" yet.  But, I'll look next time I watch.  I wonder if that's the reason that Jack covers their faces with Ennis's hat while they kiss!
 ::) ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2006, 09:15:41 pm »
Nope I haven't noticed the "shadowy figure" yet.  But, I'll look next time I watch.  I wonder if that's the reason that Jack covers their faces with Ennis's hat while they kiss!
 ::) ;)

I'll have to watch for that, too. But isn't it Ennis who takes his hat off and holds it to cover their faces? If your DVD has a magnifier, use it. You will see that it is Ennis' hand holding his own hat, not Jack.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2006, 01:50:51 pm »
You know how Alma asks Ennis to pick her up some smokes as he & Jack are running out the door to the Siesta Motel? Well I know she's using it to stall and give Ennis a reason to come home earlier which I understand, BUT, do we ever see Alma smoke in the whole film? The next morning when Ennis comes home & Alma is sitting at the table with a 1/2 cup of cold coffee, shouldn't there be an over-flowing ashtray there?