Author Topic: "It ain't right."  (Read 26958 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "It ain't right."
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2006, 06:29:26 pm »
You know how Alma asks Ennis to pick her up some smokes as he & Jack are running out the door to the Siesta Motel? Well I know she's using it to stall and give Ennis a reason to come home earlier which I understand, BUT, do we ever see Alma smoke in the whole film? The next morning when Ennis comes home & Alma is sitting at the table with a 1/2 cup of cold coffee, shouldn't there be an over-flowing ashtray there?

Good observation. I always thought it was just that Michelle Williams didn't smoke. But there could have at least been a prop!  :laugh:
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2006, 09:30:18 am »
I thought I was observant but I obviously I need to view it again! Thanks cc33

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2006, 11:18:19 am »
The full-screen version shows a half-full ashtray on the table near Alma.

Barbara - there you go again being observant! Another thing to watch for tonight!
Diane

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »
Thanks for clearing this up, Barbara. I've been wondering about it since seeing the smoking post the other day. Especially because I believe I have seen a photo of Michelle Williams smoking!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2006, 05:34:09 pm »
Thanks for clearing this up, Barbara. I've been wondering about it since seeing the smoking post the other day. Especially because I believe I have seen a photo of Michelle Williams smoking!

Really?? That kind of surprises me!
Diane

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2006, 04:53:25 pm »
Especially because I believe I have seen a photo of Michelle Williams smoking!

Really?? That kind of surprises me

Yep, I'm pretty sure I've sen pic of her smoking. And I also believe to remember an article or interview, where it was said that both, Heath and Michelle, stopped smoking during Michelle's pregnancy. But I'm not sure about the latter.

I have another scene, which ain't right. Don't know if it was mentioned before.

When Jack sits with Randall outside the town hall (or wherever the charity dance is supposed to have taken place) on a bench: The moustache looks fake in this scene. And Jack/Jake looks much too young. Especially in one short shot, when Jack is shot from the left side.
The scene is supposed to be in 1978, so Jack must have been mid-thirties. But he looks 10 years younger. Jake's age, but not Jack's at this point of the movie.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2006, 09:42:23 pm »
Penthesilea..I thought the 'stache looked fake in all the  scenes (and the sideburns, too, but let's not go back to that issue).  I don't see him looking younger in the bench scene; maybe the lighting helped out. 

Barbara..you're so observant!  Maybe you should have edited this movie and fixed all the things that aren't kosher...but, wait, then we wouldn't have anything to "rewatch", which is exactly what I will be doing a few minutes...Doug

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2006, 09:55:36 pm »
Although, for the most part, Heath does a phenomenal job … there are a few words that I hear his “Aussie” accent coming through. Words like “girls,” “church,” and “shirt.” Anyone else hear this?
Diane

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2006, 10:30:02 pm »
As a Virgo, I thought I was a champeen nit-picker but you all take the cherry cake! I was very surprised in an interview after I saw BBM to hear Heath's Aussie accent - I had no idea, so no, I didn't notice the accent. I wonder if Michelle was pregnant during the filming?? When I was re-watching the reunion scene in slo-mo, Michelle's buttons are straining over her bosom. I know it's her character not having nice clothes, but along with the smoking-not-smoking, it made me wonder if she was pregnant. (Speaking of buttons, I love to watch Jack pull on Ennis' shirt so the button pops off during That Kiss.) You know, I didn't think Jake/Jack aged all that "successfully" until the scene switches to the Dozy Embrace and then Jack & Ennis look so youthful and beautiful then cut to Jack looking all disillusioned and unhappy and middle-aged. One scene I think is good is when Ennis is giving Junior a ride back to her house, when she asks if she can live with him and he says no. There must not be more than - what - 8 years difference between the two, but Heath really seemed like her dad in that scene especially. A really good-looking dad, but stilll....

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2006, 10:56:24 pm »
  (Speaking of buttons, I love to watch Jack pull on Ennis' shirt so the button pops off during That Kiss
And magicly is rebuttoned when the camera angle changes
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.