Author Topic: I'll show you mine if you show me yours. (or how I learned to love body art)  (Read 3356 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Elle had asked me to post a pic of my tattoo long ago, and I never got around to taking a pic of it, until now. so here it is.

the back story. Back in college my crew mates all talked about getting tatted together. Any way, that fell through, but a buddy and I still wanted to get ours, so the fall of our last year on the team, he and I went down to the famous Sunset Strip Tattoos and got them. Well, he got his and I got mine started. This was back in 1995. I had actually thought about it for a year about what I wanted and where I wanted it. I decided to put it on my back for two reasons. One, the back is an important in rowing. The legs provide the power, but the back is where you have control and finishes off the stroke. Two, I thought about where on the body that the design wouldn't distort with age, and the back is the least likely place to get wrinkled and stretched. I chose the gryphon, because I love mythology. The beast has the strength and ferocity of a lion, and the speed and stamina of those that rule the sky. Those were the general qualities valued in sports, so it symbolically relates to rowing. Even in rowing we describe cutting through the water as "flying". My first instinct was to design something symmetrical, but I came upon an image in a book and knew that this was the one I wanted. It was one of a white gryphon however.

The tattoo took 3+ hours to do, and fortunately had to be done in 2 sessions. The first was 1.5 hours, doing the black outlines. That didn't hurt much at all. During that time, I talked to Eric the tattoo artists about this and that. I listen to him answer other people's questions about designs they wanted done. It was important to hear him turn down jobs because he knew what they wanted wouldn't turn out well. I got to really trust him, so in the second session, I told him to just do whatever he wanted with the colors. It took 2 hours to do the colors. Again, didn't hurt so much, as I was able to study for an Econ midterm as it was happening. The only part that hurt was where the colors blend. The first pass of color made my skin feel like it was sunburned, then to do a second pass on an already sensitive area. Those were the times I had to concentrate so I don't flinch and mess Eric up. I was really happy afterward, with what he did. It turned out better than what I originally wanted. I especially love the touches of yellow at the wing tips.

so who else got tattoos or body art they'd like to share? I especially love to read the story about what you chose, why, etc.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:54:59 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

vkm91941

For some reason all your spymac photo's don't show up for me. ???  Maybe because I don't use a mac  :-\.  anyhoo, your tatoo sounds fascinating and I would love to have seen it.  I especially like you decision to place it on your back to lessen distortion with age and the symbolism of the back for rowers.  Beautiful description

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
You, Nipith, have a beautiful back.
Tattoo's nice too.

No tattoos for me, soft and distortion-prone as I am.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
For some reason all your spymac photo's don't show up for me. ???  Maybe because I don't use a mac  :-\.  anyhoo, your tatoo sounds fascinating and I would love to have seen it.  I especially like you decision to place it on your back to lessen distortion with age and the symbolism of the back for rowers.  Beautiful description

i don't think it's a mac issue. i wonder if your isp blocks it for some reason. I'll post it on my server. let me know if it works now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:55:22 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

vkm91941

i don't think it's a mac issue. i wonder if your isp blocks it for some reason. I'll post it on my server. let me know if it works now.

It works beautifully. Thank You!  Lovely tatoo, and yes very nice back as well.  I love the design, not the usual gryphon, the colors make him spectacular.

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Nipith, it's beautiful! 

And just so all you ladies and gents can be extra jealous....   I got to see Nipith's tattoo in person!  Of course, this was after some coaxing and cajoling, but he finally let me yank his shirt down his back like it was a pair of Jack Twist's pants -  (shameless plug for our Trembleyan production!  ;) )  Okay, I'm embellishing, I really just peeked down Nipith's shirt, in a lady-like fashion.

I have no artwork on me, but heaven knows I have a HUGE blank canvas with which to work.  Last week my youngest daughter (she's 19) 'buttered me up' with a gift so that she might present her new tattoo to me.  YIKES!  It's way bigger than Nipith's, but in the same location.  Apparently it somehow incorporates the 'Aries' sign in it, but it is a BIG picture of a naked woman!  Yes, it's beautifully done, but....  will she still want that naked woman on there when she's 30?  Or 50 or 80?  Moot point now!  The gift she gave me was a beautiful silver necklace with a tiny cowboy hat hanging from it--  she apologized because there were not TWO hats.  That's my girl.  :)

I think yours is a nice choice, Nipith, and it's meaning for you is something that won't likely change.  At least it doesn't say 'Nipith (True) + (Love) Chuck    Carl    John-boy   &$LISA#*   Heath    Jake   Juan    ;D    Just kidding.  JUST KIDDING!
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Nipith, seeing your beautiful tattoo again reminds me of that beauitful evening at La CabaƱa with you and Janis ndatmo, and Sarah henrypie, and our other sweethearts.  I'm so glad to know you.  Clarissa

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Hi Nipith,

What a great tat! Thanks for sharing the picture and your story.

I want to get one, have been trying to work up courage for years. I want a sun. If anyone read my story, you'll notice Ennis got a sun, that's where that came from!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Hi Nipith,

funny you come up with this topic right now. For a couple of days I've been thinking about it seriously.

What a fine sight your back is, and not only for the tattoo. The tattoo is also beautiful.
Thanks for showing us yours, but I can't show you mine, because I still don't have one.

But I too have a tattoo story, or a non-tattoo story  :)
Like Leslie, I'm working on the courage for years. Some years ago I was really ready to do it. I had a motive (still have it), I had earned and saved some extra-money for it, I even had the date fixed with a tatto artist my friend recommended.
Then my cat got cancer and I spent all my tatto-money and a lot more for her medical treatment.

Since then I never got so close again.

My motive was/will be(?) a tribal in black, no colours. And it will be(?) on my right upper arm. The last days, I promised myself I will definately do it in October. So you can ask me in November, if I was a brave girl  :) or a coward  >:(