Author Topic: Broken Fences (Movie) - I was blown away  (Read 8333 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Broken Fences (Movie) - I was blown away
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:38:55 pm »
I happend to stumble upon and rent this fantastic movie about a week ago.  I didn't watch the trailer.  I only knew what I knew from the DVD box.   I am still haunted by it.

From the first scenes I was captivated!  This takes place in rural Colorado, and the scenery is breathtaking.  The beginning of the movie focuses on a lonely farmer.  You are taken into his daily world and you feel like you are there with him.  If anything, you must rent this for the scenery.

The story line builds to a shocking conclusion.  I won't give anything away, that would spoil it.  But I will say that one of the themes is "how come Cowboys don't cry"?  Sound familiar?

There are many parallels to Brokeback Mountain.  On IMDB's page, BBM is even recommended that "if you like Broken Fences, try... BBM.

I am definitely buying this movie for my collection.  This is a must-see for any Brokie!

Official site and trailer:  http://www.brokenfences.org/

Plot outline:

A rancher named Jim is startled when he picks up the phone and hears the voice of his estranged son, Dylan, on the line. After hearing Dylan's sob story Jim reluctantly lets his son back into his life, but it's not long before tensions begin to rise between them.

Review from an IMDB user:

This film is a beautifully shot and acted drama. Set in the Colorado mountains, it is a powerful piece with exceptional acting by Jan Van Sickle. The story grabs you from the beginning to it's shocking conclusion. Breathtaking cinematography. Highly recommended! The story involved a rancher named Joe who let's his recently paroled son, Dillon, moved back in with him. Dillon seems to have turned his life around, which is good news to his dad who has just started a relationship with the local convenience store owner, Kim (excellently played by Earla Stewart). As the story unfolds, we learn that Dillon's bad luck seems to have followed him home. Dillon is played by Ryan J. Parker in a star making turn. Mr. Parker displays moments of sheer brilliance as his character faces unbearable choices. The film is currently making it's rounds in the film festival circuit, winning multiple awards along the way. Try to see it!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Broken Fences (Movie) - I was blown away
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:32 am »
Sounds interesting.
The movie was never released outside the US though. It's already available on DVD in the US, but of course only in NTSC, and not on any European amazon. I doubt we Eurobrokies will ever see it ???.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:42:04 pm »
Just curious if anybody's checked this movie out?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:46:07 pm »
Just checkin' in..  Anybody rent this yet?

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:08:17 pm »
I added it to my Netflix queue.  Netflix only gave it 2.2/5 stars.  I'll let you know.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:24:09 pm »
I added it to my Netflix queue.  Netflix only gave it 2.2/5 stars.  I'll let you know.

I'm anxious to hear what you think.   :)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:31:41 pm »

I'm anxious to hear what you think.   :)

I put it to the top of my queue and it's coming tomorrow.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:36:41 pm »
just ordered it

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:40 pm »
Thanks for letting us know about this film, Eric!  I've just put it at the top of my Netflix queue.

Edit:  Weird that Netflix has this at 2.2 stars, considering how much I value your opinion.  Of course, I frequently disagree with Netflix.   :P
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »
I watched Broken Fences tonight.  I'm sorry to say I was not blown away.  Netflix gave it 2.2 stars out of 5.  Like Lynne, I do not always agree with Netflix.  I wouldn't have given even that many.   

I'm sorry, Eric.  Just didn't like it.  Certainly there are the right-out-of-Brokeback kind of scenes and scenery, a taciturn cowboy, even a Linda Ronstadt song!  But the similarities are just superficial.  The guy who wrote/produced/directed this thing is an amateur. 

The actor who played the father was the only saving grace.  I felt bad for him, trying to pull off this material.  The guy who played the son was cute enough, but was dumber than a horseshoe. 

The story started off OK, but quickly devolved into the pointless of no return.  The ending belonged in some other film.