Author Topic: Nature journal  (Read 19645 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Nature journal
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 06:10:15 am »
I can say, 'I agree they're beautiful, fernly', because I didn't take any of them.  I have just been finding pictures on the Net to show the animals and plants I saw near where I live (or in the case of the Wyoming wildflowers, wish I could be there and see).  Katie actually took hers, and  that does add another dimension.  Pictures have great power.  Now that I have seen Katie's son nurturing the baby kangeroo that scene has become something I can always draw on, as if I had been there.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 12:26:37 pm »
I'm so pleased I was able to find this picture to memorialize something that happened to me at a time when I wasn't carrying my camera.  And I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to take a picture this clear, least of all with one hand.

I have been noticing dragonflies speeding and hovering over every patch of grass all this summer, here in Boston.  Even at Fenway Park, when I looked through my binoculars to take a closer look at how David Ortiz manages his swing, there were huge dragonflies just a few feet from the bat.  I was thinking, one of those beautiful insects is going to get it for sure.

A few days later as I was crossing a busy traffic island between Quincy Market and Christopher Columbus Park on the Harbor, my eye fell on a dragonfly lying on its back on the asphalt, about to get stepped on.  I grabbed it up by the abdomen and carried it over into the park, then set it down right side up on my palm.

It was alive, it must have been stunned by a passing windshield.  It was standing on its own legs on my hand, still stunned.  I could see the tiny abdomen panting two breaths per second, fat-thin-fat-thin-fat-thin.  I had no idea a dragonfly's breathing would be so visible.

And then came an extraordinary half hour in which I sat watching and it sat recovering.  It was clearly happy just where it was, grateful to be in a still place.  I examined it closely and could see no damage, either to wing or leg or body.

I had time to study the complex veining of the wings.  This made me think of a house with additions over the years.  There was the basic original wing, then something must have happened in evolution and the main structural veins suddenly had a bold new idea and went zigzagging off in a new design to support a lateral add-on with a different pattern.  And the other more dutiful genes came along and filled the new wing spaces with regular useful square ribs like house framing.  The clear material between the veins glistened whitely here and was invisible there.

The body color was intense and jewel-like, but the color was the more brilliant for grading out of a browner green which set off the emerald.

It appeared to have two big eyes, of course, but I knew that each was composed of thousands of individual eyes.  I could just see a softness or roughness around the edge of the reflection of the sun in each orb which showed that the surface was not completely flat but made of unimaginably tiny knobs.

I looked and looked, and it didn't move.  It didn't mind my breath on its neck.  Its breathing was still fast, mine was slow and trancelike.

The sun was starting to go down and I knew I had to go home on the subway.  I wanted to leave it in the grass, near its food supply.  I gently shook my hand, then tried putting my palm down near the grass to let it walk off if it was not ready to fly.

And it didn't want to let go.  Each of the tiny feet was gripping its savior's skin with what looked to the naked eye like a thumb and one finger.  It was holding on for its life.

Minutes passed.  I knew this extraordinary thing would likely never happen again in my earthly existence.   I finally pried it up as gently as I could and set it in the grass.

It immediately sputtered and curled up, as if twisted in rage or grief at this second disruption.  I watched a while longer, hoping to see it recover, but the dark was gathering and at last I could no longer make it out.

May it recover and live long, and capture many another mosquito.   And may I have another opportunity in my tiny short life to intersect with another creature's different life, to see with my two eyes, a fraction of what that splendid being could see with its sixty thousand.  In this universe, whose vastness of time and space we can speak of but not imagine, the difference between its lifespan and ours is unworthy to be measured.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 12:40:20 pm by Andrew »

injest

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 02:44:33 pm »
Andrew that is beautiful....thank you

I don't have your gift for words but here is my moment...you know there are a lot of people who don't 'get' this stuff...and I have told this before and seen peoples eyes glaze over...(even over the computer...LOL)

I live on a farm...on one end of the farm we have the 'nursing home'-small paddocks for old or sick animals...I was down one day cleaning out water troughs and refilling them...takes a while, sometimes you could pull your hair out wanting it to hurry....but sometimes it is a beautiful day and you can just relax...knowing there is nothing you can do while you wait but just be.

One day I was leaning there watching the water running into the bucket and the lovely shapes the water made when I noticed on the top of the fence I was leaning on there were tiny baby praying mantis...infinitely tiny...and clear! they were like incrediably fine spun glass; true works of art...exquisite and a sight I never will see again...

another moment...actually very mundane but still a memory that I have that is precious...I was sitting on the side of a hill waiting for another water trough to fill. It was late in the afternoon and the sunlight was coming at an angle....across the pasture dragonflys spun and swooped; thousands of them. catching the light looking like fireflys...

Offline Andrew

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 03:04:10 pm »
That's a beautiful picture of your horses by the water, Jess.  I'm so happy you have that water.  I hope that means there is enough for your animals at least?  Where people are leaving, is it because they were marginal economically with their farms and this is just pushing them over the edge?  I need to go back and read in your thread to see what you have said about it.

Just saw the new one of Buddy.  A fine horse and a fine picture.

injest

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 03:05:08 pm »
ok these are some flower pics I made..(yes I am taking up the whole computer! ;D)

injest

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 03:11:26 pm »
at the first of last year the big round bales of hay were 35-40 dollars for good horse quality hay...today we are paying 100-115 and the hay is horrible...stemmy and rotty looking (horses will dig thru spreading it out looking for something palatable)...some suppliers will no longer sell to anyone except their old customer...the local feed stores are limiting their customers to buying 25 bales (small ones) at a time. and telling them that there is no guarantee there will be more.

It is lasting too long...some of our local lakes are down 2-3 FEET..one local lake is 6 feet down...

Prices for cattle are dropping in proportion to the rise in feed prices and a lot of farmers are afraid their cattle will be worthless if they try to hold on...some people are letting their animals starve and the local rescue operations are swamped...

Offline Andrew

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 03:21:56 pm »
How terrible to have the animals suffering for it.  In New England we had so much more rain than usual I couldn't go out and watch birds this spring, it was always coming down.  Or go out and mow my little city backyard as the grass got longer and lusher.  And yet they say it's not because of El nino this time, I'm not sure what the explanation is...other than suspecting it's because of Meddling with Nature.

Those are great daylilies, I planted a ruby red one this year but it's its first year and I'm not expecting a bloom.  I don't recognize the flowers in the bottom picture.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »
Here is the dotted gayfeather or liatris spectata, which is a wildflower blooming right now in the Rocky Mountains. It looks much like the cultivated liatris, but is shorter.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Andrew

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 11:36:00 am »

We've been having beautiful cool, dry air from Canada the last few days.  More like the last week of August or early September.  The birds and animals are taking notice.  Last night in the darkness I heard the Canada geese flying over fast near the ground, with that coordinated

honkhonk honkhonk

between the males and females.

Is the end of our brief New England summer coming so soon?

I know that there will be more hot weather, so this interlude is a kind of dream of what is about to come, a warning to make better use of my time outside.

injest

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 12:02:02 pm »
I have a part time job at a company with a big gravel parking lot. This bird and her mate made a nest in the gravel along one side. The owner of the business put the boards near it to warn the drivers not to run over it. She laid three little spleckled eggs that matched the gravel almost exactly. If we went to look at them the parents would get off the nest and run a ways. Flop around with one of their wings flopped out like they were injured something fierce! LOL! Good parents!

Well something got their eggs. So she laid four more. Unfortunately it was just too hot and in spite of them standing bravely over the eggs with their wings spread trying to shade them; they never hatched and eventually they gave up.

But I am so taken with them. With the willingness to keep going. To try again. I know it is instinct but I think it is a good lesson for us too....