Author Topic: One year out, another visit to 421 Broome Street  (Read 44410 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
One year out, another visit to 421 Broome Street
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:01:09 pm »
Today John Gallagher and I had a date, set months ago, for lunch.  We met at a little place called The Savoy at the corner of Prince and Crosby, two blocks north of Broome Street.  We wore our Heath stripes, and I brought along two red roses.

After lunch, we strolled slowly down to Heath's old apartment building, wondering whether there would be any other flowers left there for him today.  John thought not, but I wasn't surprised to see several bouquets leaning beside the door with accompanying letters and mementos.

What did surprise me was that there were cameramen there!  Except this year, instead of an army of anchorpersons, miles of cable and a forest of tripods there was one cameraman and one pretty blonde woman looking on curiously as I added our two BetterMost roses to the little shrine.  A couple of other men with cameras were clicking away at more of a distance, but I never found out who they were.

As John was taking his own pictures, the woman approached me and asked if I'd tell her why we were here.  As soon as she heard we were from a fan site, she asked if I would go on camera for a brief interview, and I agreed.  Her name was Ronnie, and she and her colleague work for Channel Seven in Sydney!  They were very down-to-earth and friendly, also sympathetic, so as I talked, I'm afraid I got a bit verklempt.  But she was very interested to hear we'd met each other through knowing Heath.  I mentioned BetterMost and our trips to Alberta and Wyoming.  I said we thought of Heath as a good friend, and how bittersweet it was that he'd been nominated just this morning (that's when my voice got all weird on me).  We shook hands and parted, and John told the Aussies how to find an Aussie coffee shop where we were heading for our coffee and dessert.  Ronnie told me to check seven.com.au to see if their interviews get aired.

We walked up to Houston Street, then headed east to Second Avenue, then to First Street, where we found the tiny eatery called the Tuck Shop.  John is amazing.  He knows all these great little places!  We had delicious, rich Australian lattes and awesome, awesome bread and butter pudding and "vanilla slice," which is like a Napolean without the chocolate drizzle.  We managed to "tuck" away both plates quite handily.  John then walked me up to 14th Street, where I got the subway.

Later tonight John will post lots of pictures, so stay tuned.  8)

This day could have been so much heavier and more sad without my BetterMost family.  I'm blessed to have met John and everyone here.  It took the sting away somehow, and I didn't even notice that we were at 421 at just about the time all those awful events were unfolding a year ago.  Thanks so, so much, buds.

Meryl

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: One year out, another visit to 421 Broome Street
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:48 pm »

I watch the Channel 7 news most nights at 6pm and will certainly be watching tonight, to see if you and John are featured, Meryl.

Channel 7 has other news-like daily programs that I don't usually watch. They're the sort of programs that show human interest type stories. I've missed this morning's "Sunrise" program. It is the sort of program this story would likely appear on. Did any other Aussies happen to see 7's "Sunrise" program this morning? Sue? Rob? Anyone?

I will also be watching 7's "Today Tonight" program this evening at 6.30pm, following the News.

I look forward to seeing John's photos.

:-* {{{ Meryl & John }}}  :-*
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:13:15 pm »
Today John Gallagher and I had a date, set months ago, for lunch.  We met at a little place called The Savoy at the corner of Prince and Crosby, two blocks north of Broome Street.  We wore our Heath stripes, and I brought along two red roses.

After lunch, we strolled slowly down to Heath's old apartment building, wondering whether there would be any other flowers left there for him today.  John thought not, but I wasn't surprised to see several bouquets leaning beside the door with accompanying letters and mementos.

What did surprise me was that there were cameramen there!  Except this year, instead of an army of anchorpersons, miles of cable and a forest of tripods there was one cameraman and one pretty blonde woman looking on curiously as I added our two BetterMost roses to the little shrine.  A couple of other men with cameras were clicking away at more of a distance, but I never found out who they were.

As John was taking his own pictures, the woman approached me and asked if I'd tell her why we were here.  As soon as she heard we were from a fan site, she asked if I would go on camera for a brief interview, and I agreed.  Her name was Ronnie, and she and her colleague work for Channel Seven in Sydney!  They were very down-to-earth and friendly, also sympathetic, so as I talked, I'm afraid I got a bit verklempt.  But she was very interested to hear we'd met each other through knowing Heath.  I mentioned BetterMost and our trips to Alberta and Wyoming.  I said we thought of Heath as a good friend, and how bittersweet it was that he'd been nominated just this morning (that's when my voice got all weird on me).  We shook hands and parted, and John told the Aussies how to find an Aussie coffee shop where we were heading for our coffee and dessert.  Ronnie told me to check seven.com.au to see if their interviews get aired.

We walked up to Houston Street, then headed east to Second Avenue, then to First Street, where we found the tiny eatery called the Tuck Shop.  John is amazing.  He knows all these great little places!  We had delicious, rich Australian lattes and awesome, awesome bread and butter pudding and "vanilla slice," which is like a Napolean without the chocolate drizzle.  We managed to "tuck" away both plates quite handily.  John then walked me up to 14th Street, where I got the subway.

Later tonight John will post lots of pictures, so stay tuned.  8)

This day could have been so much heavier and more sad without my BetterMost family.  I'm blessed to have met John and everyone here.  It took the sting away somehow, and I didn't even notice that we were at 421 at just about the time all those awful events were unfolding a year ago.  Thanks so, so much, buds.

Meryl

Thanks so so much for sharing with all of us...

:)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »
(((Meryl)))
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:03:22 pm »

Meryl

Aw, Meryl, such a great experience.  Thank you for representing us.  So glad you and John could  be together. 

You've been very much in my thoughts today, as I recall "breaking the news" to you this time last year. 

Hugs,
Paul

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:21 pm »
Aw, Meryl, such a great experience.  Thank you for representing us.  So glad you and John could  be together. 

You've been very much in my thoughts today, as I recall "breaking the news" to you this time last year. 

Hugs,
Paul

Same goes for me, Paul.  I remember stopping on the street to answer your call--my own "Ennis reads the postcard" moment.  It was hours before I got up the nerve to log onto BetterMost.  Nothing can be the same after that, except of course, the consolation of having dear friends who totally understand.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
(((Meryl)))

((((Mel))))

And Bel, I'm glad I could share.  Thanks!  :-*

I watch the Channel 7 news most nights at 6pm and will certainly be watching tonight, to see if you and John are featured, Meryl.

Channel 7 has other news-like daily programs that I don't usually watch. They're the sort of programs that show human interest type stories. I've missed this morning's "Sunrise" program. It is the sort of program this story would likely appear on. Did any other Aussies happen to see 7's "Sunrise" program this morning? Sue? Rob? Anyone?

I will also be watching 7's "Today Tonight" program this evening at 6.30pm, following the News.

I look forward to seeing John's photos.

:-* {{{ Meryl & John }}}  :-*

((((Kerry))))

I'm glad you'll be keeping an eye out for any clip of us.  Who knew my "15 minutes" a la Warhol might be in Australia?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:39:16 pm »
I'm so glad you and John could spend the day together Meryl! And that was a beautiful tribute to Heath when you both stopped by his old apartment for a few minutes.

{{{{MERYL}}}}

{{{{JOHN}}}}

I hope you make it on the Australian news! How exciting is that?!! I'm looking forward from Kerry to tell us if he saw you, and I'm also looking forward to seeing John's pictures! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 11:58:24 pm »
I just checked the Australian TV site, and there is video of 421 Broome Street,  AND you can see me for a couple of seconds as I put the two roses on the windowsill!  Go here and click on the video box titled "Ledger nabs Oscar nomination."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/

8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 12:34:31 am »
Wow!! Our Meryl a multicontinental celebrity!! I reccanized you immediately!! An awesome portrayal, worthy of a supporting the supporting actor nod!!

So, you got the news from friend Paul? That is interesting. In my case, I was in a staff meeting a few doors down from my office. My office phone started ringing...and ringing...and ringing. Finally my boss turned to me and said, "Maybe you'd better go get that call." It was EDelMar, with the sad news.
"chewing gum and duct tape"