Author Topic: One year out, another visit to 421 Broome Street  (Read 44151 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: One year out, another visit to 421 Broome Street
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 06:06:10 am »

Great pics John, thank you for sharing.....

You're welcome! Thank you!

John
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 06:21:48 am »

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/celebrities/interviews/maggie-gyllenhaal-interview-dark-knight

Mega Maggie Gyllenhaal

Once the queen of quirky indie movies, The Dark Knight star Maggie Gyllenhaal braces for the highs — and surprising lows — of blockbuster-size fame.

By Meryl Gordon

(....)

"Maggie's got a lot of sass," says Aaron Eckhart, who stars as the disfigured vigilante Two-Face in The Dark Knight.  He starts to laugh as he adds, "She has very strong opinions on acting and things outside moviemaking. She's not afraid to speak her mind."

On this sunny afternoon at the cozy restaurant Savoy, a Soho mainstay, Gyllenhaal, who has come directly from her 8-year-old niece's dance recital, is dressed — full fashion alert — for comfort, in sandals, blue jeans, a gray jersey wrap top, a Miu Miu red cardigan sweater, an antique diamond engagement ring, and a gold necklace with her 22-month-old daughter Ramona's name engraved on a tiny angel pendant. Tall and slender, she has a throaty voice and a lopsided smile. It has become de rigueur for anorectic actresses to consume big meals when dining with reporters to prove they do eat, but Gyllenhaal does not appear to be acting when she digs into a plate of pork sausage.

(....)

The one name missing from that list is Heath Ledger, who plays the Joker in the movie and died of an accidental prescription-drug overdose in January, after the movie wrapped. "My heart really broke when he died," says Gyllenhaal, her winsome face darkening. "I think seeing the movie will be painful. I saw this new trailer, which I loved, but Heath was all over it, and it was very sad to see it. Hard to watch."

"What he does is extraordinarily intense," says Christopher Nolan, "and what works is seeing Maggie reacting to it, which heightens the drama." Is Maggie's character in danger from him? "Oh yeah," Nolan replies. "Everyone is in danger from him."

Gyllenhaal and Sarsgaard were Brooklyn neighbors of Ledger and his girlfriend Michelle Williams (the couple starred with Jake in Brokeback Mountain). "We live pretty close to them," says Gyllenhaal, recalling the media maelstrom in the wake of Ledger's death and how bad she felt for Williams. "It was disgusting. I had journalists call me on my cell phone. There were these two shy girls sent from some rag magazine to camp in front of my house. I came home with Ramona and I was so shocked and angry." But then she adds with a hint of sympathy, "These poor girls, it wasn't their fault. They were out of their element."

(and etc.)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 07:15:35 am »

Just an FYI 'shout-out'--

http://www.theaustraliannyc.com/

Australia Day Celebrations
at The Australian 
20 West 38 Street
New York, NY 10017
Ph: 212.869.8601

Saturday January 24th –
All day and night!!!!!

- Aussie trivia upstairs 1pm to 3pm (great prizes including a six pack of VB, book a table now!)
- Live Music starting at 3pm
- Aussie music all day and night!!
- Coopers Beer, Aussie wine and champagne $5 all day and night!
- Free beer or wine on entry before 7pm

G’day and welcome to
The Australian NYC!

We here at The Australian aim to bring you a relaxed, easy going atmosphere and ambiance where you can enjoy our top quality food and drink, and experience the friendliest and best service. The staff at The Australian have extensive knowledge of and pride in all of our products--from the food and the wine to the paintings on the wall! We are the only Australian bar in Midtown Manhattan and we aim to bring a little bit of Down Under to Midtown.

Some of the features of The Australian include our 38 ft bar where you can chat with our friendly bartenders or watch your favourite sports on any of the flatscreen TVs on the wall. We show most sports from Bondi to The Bronx! Our lounge area consists of eight comfortable private booths, each with their own TV. We also have our mezzanine level which is available for dining, corporate functions, or any type of party.

"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 08:18:37 am »
I've said it before, but I LOVE your photo reportages John. Absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us.  :-*

And Meryl, I saw you on tv (well the tv item on my computer anyway). You were very dignified. Loved to rose.

Thank you.  :-*

*sigh*  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:30 am »
Thank you. I love your pictures. Makes me feel like I was there. Great work guys!

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:34 am »
I've said it before, but I LOVE your photo reportages John. Absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us.  :-*

And Meryl, I saw you on tv (well the tv item on my computer anyway). You were very dignified. Loved to rose.

Thank you.  :-*

*sigh*  :-\

Me too! The pictures are awesome! I like how cosy it looks in there!

I cannot watch the clip at work, but will do at home! Meryl how lucky to have been there with the TV crew present.

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 09:10:00 am »
Thank you so much, dear John and Meryl, for sharing your wonderful day of remembrance for Heath with us. I felt right at home in the Tuck Shop. Saw lots of familiar Aussie products.

"Tuck Shop" in the Australian vernacular is what all Aussie kids call their school canteen; e.g., "What are you getting for lunch at the tuck shop?" It comes from "tucker" which is an Australian colloquialism meaning "food," as in the jolly swagman's "tucker bag" in the famous Australian anthem "Waltzing Matilda."

http://members.optushome.com.au/renatachylinski/matilda/understand.htm

I love your photos, John.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 09:49:36 am »
John, AKA Jimmy Olson, "our man in New York", thank you for the photojournalism.  You make NYC look downright cozy.

Meryl, very dignified tribute to our Heath.  :-*

I find it fitting, Meryl, that your 15 minutes of fame comes at a time when John is sporting the Andy Warhol look.   :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 10:12:06 am »
(((Meryl)))   (((John)))

Thank you so much for taking the trip to Broome Street again yesterday, and for taking us with you.

To have a member of Bettermost, be shown leaving those roses, felt like you were representing us all, and for that I thank you.

What Sue said.
Meryl, it's so great that they showed you on Australian TV. What a strange world it is: a young guy leaving Australia for LA years many ago, bringing all of us together here in this internet place through his work with others on BBM, and now the circles closes with you being shown on Australian TV. If only the occasion weren't such a sad one.... :(

John, fabulous photo report again. You do have a knack for it.

Thank you so much again, both of you. :-*

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:31 am »
I just checked the Australian TV site, and there is video of 421 Broome Street,  AND you can see me for a couple of seconds as I put the two roses on the windowsill!  Go here and click on the video box titled "Ledger nabs Oscar nomination."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/

8)

Awesome Meryl!   I read over on Sue's blog that she saw you on the news in Australia at Broome St. I had to see it and sure enough it was you plain as day.